Ability to choose which node broadcasts either 2.4 or 5ghz

In my case I have 1 node sat next to my "entertainment" area... I swear the thing is just trying to annoy me and sets the other 2 nodes to 5ghz and puts the 1 I want to be 5ghz at 2.4!

Be really nice within the bounds of the meshing to be able to pick which node broadcasts what.

I only live in a small house with no more than 10m between nodes... you'd think getting -14db @0.0m on the node I want... it would chuck it onto 5... but no it would rather clog up the 2.4 channels instead and move at a poxy 130mbps instead of the 350mbps I occaisionally get when the node pulls it's finger out.

Does it show this is 00:40am and I'm losing the will! Smiley Tongue

Re: Ability to choose which node broadcasts either 2.4 or 5ghz

Hi, Pettal! We'd like to look into this further, was it working fine before? Make sure that your Velop is running the latest firmware. Is this true also to the wired connection? You may try to run the channel finder by following this link, and see if it will make any changes at all. 

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

Hi

Thanks, help is appreciated!

Latest firmware already installed.

The only Velop node that is wired is the one attached to the router, I have no others connected to ethernet in any way. Here's what I've tried:

• Restart everything, router and velops - No change I have 1 node broadcasting 5 ghz (funnily enough that's the wired master node) the rest all on 2.4
  • I've scanned channels and makes no difference, still master on 5ghz the rest on 2.4
  • Restarted each node individually - Again makes no difference same outcome
  • Switched into bridge mode - Man... still same
  • Switched back to velop mode - Still same
  • Switched back to bridge mode - Still same and that's where I am at.

I suppose the next step is to reset them all and re-deploy... loathed to do that as it takes 30mins and it's a pain in the proverbial.

Any ideas welcomed!

Cheers

P

Quick update, re-deployed from reset I now have 2 nodes on 5ghz and both are the furthest away... although closest is 5.2m @-61db, and next is 5.8m @-64db... showing between (as it jumps) 350mbps - 1560mbps potential throughput but actual is closer to 160-190mbps in bridge mode. Re-started the system several times, done channel scan until my iphone is out of battery and it is still sticking the majority of signals out @2.4ghz, I can see 6 wifi signals on the wifi scanner that are from the Velop and all on 2.4ghz, with 1 lonely signal on 5ghz... again that's the master and wired directly into the 1Gbps router/modem.

Highlighted

Noted. As of this moment, we don't have an option yet to manually choose which node to broadcasts between the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz network. However, we'll relay this feedback to our product development team for future improvements of the system. Stay tuned for more updates.

Pamela - 21733

When I first setup my two satelite nodes were at 5gjz. Now, the first and closest that I need on 5ghz, is on 2.4ghz.  I have since connected my Nvidia Shield via ethernet cable to the first satelite node.  I can't tell if it is getting 5 or 2.4ghz.  The master is connected to my Frontier router. Is is better to have my Shield connected via ethernet cable, or put back on wifi, and reset the entire system again?

[ Edited ]

@emart wrote:

When I first setup my two satelite nodes were at 5gjz. Now, the first and closest that I need on 5ghz, is on 2.4ghz.  I have since connected my Nvidia Shield via ethernet cable to the first satelite node.  I can't tell if it is getting 5 or 2.4ghz.  The master is connected to my Frontier router. Is is better to have my Shield connected via ethernet cable, or put back on wifi, and reset the entire system again?

Hi, the setup should be fine either wired or wireless. You may try to connect the parent node wirelessly, or in daisy chain mode. Might as well try to run the channel finder. Hope this helps.

Nestor_C 21974