Administrator

Re: Bridge Mode

dwarho wrote:
Thanks, Lucas! Any word on when the app will support bridged mode? Also, do you have the "official" support steps available to get it working in the meantime?

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in response, have been out of the office the last few days. Not sure when the app will fully support it. However I will ask one of our escalation team members to put together a quick guide on setting up bridge mode. Am hesitant to use the word official on it Smiley Happy but am happy to share with the community the details of how to get it working for those that really are looking to enable the feature now. 

Awesome Thank you Lucas!

Hi Lucas, how is it going with that quick guide?
Administrator

good timing, i actually just posted it in the main velop board. was out of the office last week so a a bit behind, but catching up.

but last i checked you got rid of the web UI

[ Edited ]

no - its still there..

See first post in this thread for how to get to it;

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/Bridge-Mode-a-semi-unofficial-official-guide/...

Here are my current observations as well as why double NAT doesn't work, and issues I'm having with bridge mode.

1. Setup sometimes is pretty bumpy through the app. Recognizing nodes sometimes takes a few tries, and if you are trying to setup each one in the place you hope to place them, you may have to retry the setup for additional nodes within a couple feet of the first one to get them to detect and speak to each other, then move it to the location you prefer it to be.
2. It is frequently not good at penetrating some walls/areas. I have 2 areas in my house, one is my garage and I have placed a node in there which is 20-25 feet from the primary node and through 1 wall. They cant reach each other even if I move one of the nodes with 10-15 feet of the other through 1 wall. I have another upstairs, directly above the main node in my office, and it cannot be reach either. I placed an additional node in my master bedroom, 25 feet down the hall with no obstructions from doorway to doorway, and the office node placed just inside the doorway but still behind the wall by 2 feet and they cannot connect to each other.
3. The double NAT will not work for many situations. I have a VPN router that I use connected to my cable internet so it functions as my router and DHCP server. Velop then has it's own DHCP for anything connected to it. I have a TiVO box that records shows and used for live TV. I have a TiVO mini which connects wirelessly to my network (now through Velop). The TiVO mini connects to the main TiVO over the network and streams live TV or recorded TV from the main box. However with Velop they cannot see eachother over the network, and since Velop is a "user friendly" solution, you do not have access to any way of manually NATting, port forwarding, etc. which means it breaks my ability to use my TiVO.
3. You cannot tune the configuration through any "supported" method. If you want to make changes, like using your main router as the DHCP server for both networks, bridging both networks (to solve solutions like my TiVO issue), or other configuration, you have to jump through hoops and click a hidden link in the browser redirect for the Velop system to get access to these features. And they don't work well at all.

Administrator

Hi All Bridge Mode will be here in the next week so I will be closing this feature request thread.

Amazing news, thanks!!

From this thread I assume bridge mode support is somewhat new. I am running in bridge mode but having many issues. I have spent too much time, hours with support. The big issue I have is you get the system up, stable - then a few hours or a day later you lose admin access. The linksys app just hangs or says unexpected error. The web UI reports error 2123 with most things you do, or try to do.
I can reboot the primary node - regain access, but this might lead to re-setting up one of the child nodes , or having to reboot all the nodes. SO you spend an hour.
I have some performance issues - primary with local access of devices . Performance to the outside internet is fine. The performance of the access to local devices like cameras, sprinkler system, etc is random. Sometimes 15 to 30 sec hangs, other times good performance. It's seems to have good times/bad times. The velop system provides no information to work with. In bridge mode they cut you off from most info - then with the 2123 problem you lose all access.
I have a Cisco router that supports VPN that is required , so this is why the bridge mode is required. I am replacing an apple time machine that is 5 to 10 years old.
Velop does provide house wide coverage , fast internet access, but does not seem to be ready for prime time. I am consider returning the entire system unless I find a solution to the 2123 issue. Error handling is very pool - You get unexpected error or lets try again loops that provide little or no information. I need some information . Also the ability to save /restore a configuration seems to be totally missing, so if you have a problem you have to start over, no way to load a saved config. I need help - I am not going to call support again , because they just walk you though a do over. Support has been responsive but this problem is beyond what support is equiped to address.