Enable Band Steering

[ Edited ]

I honestly thought the Velop did this  by default but investigating further, it apparently doesnt.  

The 2.4 or 5Ghz radio the client connects to is not related to the client capabilities (i.e. the AP doesn't probe) which means although some clients could be better served connecting to a lower power 5Ghz signal, they end up on a 2.Ghz radio.

Please enable band steering so we can force 5Ghz enabled devices onto the 5Ghz band.

Re: Enable Band Steering

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 on this, my Samsung SGS6 and SGS7 phone's are constantly going to 2.4 and stay there nearly forever when I'm in the vacinity of the 2nd node, never more than 22 feet away from it.   Really annoying that I have to deal with 1/8th of the bandwidth nearly all the time

If there reasons why we can use band steering as a global setting, I would like to able to at least set an option on a per-client basis to 'prefer 5Ghz'.

There are certain devices (media players, smartTV etc) that I want to pin to the 5Ghz network, but want to avoid creating separate SSIDs to manage.

A "prefer 5ghz" checkbox for each client would be awesome!

I can see why it's always dropping to the 2.4 off of the 5g. I made a separate name for the 5g to do some testing last night and the handoff between the 2 nodes is pretty much non existent on the 5g. Walking from 1 end of the house to the other, it always maintained the connection to the original node and never passed it off to the closer node. Steering feature will definitely be nice but there is a deeper issue of it not doing the pass off between nodes

The decision as to whether to switch is entirely up to the client. Not sure about android, but iOS devices won't even start looking for another AP to connect to until the signal degrades to around -70db. The Velop system can help by providing clients with info to make the switch as fast as possible when clients decide to do so, and indeed mine do move seamlessly between nodes when needed.

Didn't Tim over on SNB imply there is some 'active load balancing' going on by the Velop?

rburrows69 wrote:
Didn't Tim over on SNB imply there is some 'active load balancing' going on by the Velop?

I'm pretty sure that only applies when the connection is being established... if you're trying to connect and the system sees that the node nearest to you is super-busy, it'll steer you to another if possible, but I don't think if you are already connected to a node that suddenly becomes busy that it will (or can) shift you over to another.

I would agree - except so of the activities I'm seeing (with some 'sticky' clients) such as Nest Cam etc seem to indicate that there's something more programatic going on.  I can't believe that the camera can't connect to any of the available nodes , running different 2.4 and 5Ghz channels for a 10-15 min period, so as I mentioned in the other thread it might be a combination of the 802.11/k/r kicking in and trying to recommend the node goes somewhere else - and the client refusing.

I'll go and re-read Tim's notes again ;-)

[ Edited ]

Agreed, this is exactly what happens in my case as well. I ended up creating 2 SSIDs (one for 2.4 and the other for 5) and manually configuring my clients. That can be done via the web interface (http://www.linksyssmartwifi.com) but not the mobile app. Just make sure your firmware is current.

It would be nice if we could set a band preference for each device and just use the 1 SSID.