One Linksys Router + Velop -> One WiFi Mesh!?

Hi Linksys dev. team,
I have an EA9500 and the three nodes Velop (WHW0303). I am forced to close the Wi-Fi on the router and have the Velop in bridge mode just to keep my house almost fully covered by good Wi-Fi. My home office which is in the basement gets 10% - 20% Wi-Fi compared to other parts of the house (very old house - thick walls)
Suggestion:
Add the Velop's functionality (add nodes) to the router and create the possibility of having a Wi-Fi mesh composed of 1 router + the Velop nodes.

Example:

Setup the EA9500's Wi-Fi and have a button on the app to "create Wi-Fi Mesh" by adding the Velop's nodes one by one ... just like with the Velop app.

This way we would skip the challenges with the "Bridge Mode" (where we lose some of the key points that makes the Velop such a good system.

Think of it :-) ... EA9500 is probably the best router on the market today (8 Gigs ports, two USBs, triband, 8 antennas great coverage and so many more) ... add to this that the Velop beats everything on the market ... and we would get the best out of two very good systems without losing any their good features.
Call this Linksys Mesh option or "Linksys allows its users to create Wi-Fi mesh using proprietary systems".
Looking foward for a roadmap where this feature is added.
All-the-best :-)

Re: One Linksys Router + Velop -> One WiFi Mesh!?

I was thinking of this too before I took back an EA9500 I was comparing against the Velops.

The other big annoyance/drawback with the EA9500 was that the Guest Network on the EA9500 functioned differently (it had the captive portal instead of just being another WPA2 password protected network like the Primary).

I also didn't like losing the extra abilities on the Velops either.

On a side note, after a couple of weeks on just a pure Velop system here at my house, and being on the beta firmware provided by Linksys/chadster, I'm still noticing crazy latency/ping spikes which are offputting, so I'm currently thinking about trying out the Velop bridge mode again (and putting back in place my previous router to hopefully improve/reduce that latency I mentioned). As an example, I just upgraded my internet, and here in my office area (which has my desktop connected via ethernet to Node 2) running internet speed tests I'm only getting about 120 Mbps or so max in several rounds of tests and I just ran the speedtest on a device wired directly to the primary Velop node and it was able to get 298 Mbps down so there's definitely a big dropoff occurring and these nodes aren't even that far away from each other.

Hi

Think this is a great idea, would love to integrate my EA8300 into the "mesh", or even have it as a starting node with velops in bridge mode connected.

At the moment as everyone says you can use the existing linksys wifi router purely as a router with wifi switched off... but hey Linksys how about supporting some of your loyal customers and allowing them to utilise the money they invested in your equipment into the velop network?

Fair enough it would need to be similar specification of Linksys, tri-band and ac compatible... but then most of the latest ones would comply. Wouldn't have thought it would take much effort to allow you to setup the main EA8300 and then connect velop either in bridge mode or as slave nodes.

Cracking idea...

Cheers

P

[ Edited ]

我想告诉你们一个兴奋的消息,当主路由的EA9500 与velop (有线桥接模式)两者的SSID 设置为一样时 能组成网格,并且实现无缝漫游,这个方法 同样在最新的EA8300\EA9300\EA9500S 上实现,我很高兴已经解决了许多朋友的困惑!

I will give that a try! Thanks Toddler

Mind you, I assume this is just the router and doesn't actually "talk" to the velop node system?

So in effect you just have a separate wifi access point using the same ssid... if that is the case then it won't "hot swap" from node to node correct?

For example if your attached to the EA8300 in my case then as soon as I get out of range of the EA8300 then even if I have a Velop node next to me it won't auto swap? Is that correct?

That also being the case.. if they are in effect 2 separate systems then what happens about packet collision?

Happy to be wrong!!! Smiley Happy

The terminal is connected to the EA8300 and left the range of the EA8300. Next to the VELOP node, the signal will automatically switch to this node. I have helped many families with linksys veloping to join the EA series router to form a grid.

The network topology is connected as follows
EA8300 (router) ---- wired ----- Velop (bridge mode), both SSID set to the same

Highlighted

Hi Toddler

Ok I get you...

What I was particularly after though was the ability bring the EA8300 into the node mesh network rather than a same SSID.

For example EA8300 (Master Node) - Velop1 (Slave Node) - Velop2 (Slave Node) - Velop3 (Slave Node) etc etc

That way the EA8300 is incoporated into the "Mesh" proper not just an access point on the same network with the same SSID.

Thanks for the info though!

Cheers

P

Please if you can help me Setup the EA9500's Wi-Fi and have a button on the app to "create Wi-Fi Mesh" by adding the Velop's nodes one by one I can't find button on ea9500 .Whic button I need find to setup velop to my router.Thanks