Roaming

[ Edited ]

I know te mesh system is suppose to allow roaming but it does not work.

I would like Velop to detect my devices that are closesest to them. Right now, I could be in my livingroom which has a node but my laptop will connect to the node or stay connected to the node in my Master bedroom.

It would be nice if a little message would pop up letting you know your devide connectd to a closer Velop node, of course this message should be user configurable to turn off for those that dont want to know.

Or you could have a velop icon in the task bar or menue bar on macs that indicate which node your connected too.

Highlighted

Re: Roaming

[ Edited ]

Hi, drober30! This seems odd. The device should connect to the best closer node on the Mesh system. To sort this out, is this true for all wireless devices connected on the network aside from the laptop? How many nodes do you have, and where is the parent node located? Also, make sure that all nodes do run their latest firmware to work properly.

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

All nodes are set to auto update.

I have devices that connect to nodes that are farther away but only my laptop roams from room to room, my other devices may be locked onto a node that is not the closesst node but they are static devices like like Amazon Echos or Wemo wall switch.

My main node is connected to the Xfinity modem in the basement which is set to bridge mode. I have three other child nodes upstairs throught the house. Two of the child nodes have a wired backhaul.

I believe that even though there is a closer node when I walk to a different room with my laptop, the signal is still strong enough from the node the laptop was connected to so it does not  let go. My transfer speed drops but if I manually shut off wifi and turn it back on so my laptop locks onto the clodser node, my transfer rate will be back around 800-867 Mbps.

It would be cool to have the laptop switch nodes faster and if there ws an icon that would display what node your connected too without having to look at the device list in the app.

Expert

[ Edited ]

@drober30wrote:

I know te mesh system is suppose to allow roaming but it does not work.

I would like Velop to detect my devices that are closesest to them. Right now, I could be in my livingroom which has a node but my laptop will connect to the node or stay connected to the node in my Master bedroom.

It would be nice if a little message would pop up letting you know your devide connectd to a closer Velop node, of course this message should be user configurable to turn off for those that dont want to know.

Or you could have a velop icon in the task bar or menue bar on macs that indicate which node your connected too.

Hi --

What version of the firmware are you currently running? Is it the same on all nodes?

Z