Seamless roaming on wired backhaul

I just notice that the seamless roaming has not worked on wired backhaul when roaming from Parent to Child node, and Linksys escalation engineer has confirmed this issue. Can you please fix this issue on future's firmware update? Seamless roaming is a key feature for Velop product, so it should be worked on wired backhaul also.

Re: Seamless roaming on wired backhaul

This is important for me also.

For me as well.

^^^ Bump

I am looking to install a 4 to 5 node Velop system using Ethernet/LAN backhaul for the sole purpose of having seamless mesh roaming/handoff of iPads, tablets and iPhones in my 3 floor home (+ basment) and replace my 3 bridge mode Asus AC68Us (as AP)

Gman

FIOS Giga > G1100 Quantum (wifi off) > 3 x AC68U as APs

Expert

GmanLsys wrote:

^^^ Bump

I am looking to install a 4 to 5 node Velop system using Ethernet/LAN backhaul for the sole purpose of having seamless mesh roaming/handoff of iPads, tablets and iPhones in my 3 floor home (+ basment) and replace my 3 bridge mode Asus AC68Us (as AP)

Gman

FIOS Giga > G1100 Quantum (wifi off) > 3 x AC68U as APs

For seamless roaming you will need to have the Velop node located close enough that the client device has a signal to transfer to. This means that a wired backhaul for your application will only be useful for increasing the throughput between nodes.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
Expert

Just setting up my new Velop system, is this still an issue (node handoff when using backhaul)?

Yes, with latest firmware 1.1.2.183316, seamless romaining on wired backhaul is still unstable with my Win 10 latpop devices.

Highlighted

Seamless roaming works on my 2 node Velop system with 183316 firmware on wired bh. check signal overlap. try placing Velop nodes where their signal strength overlaps at -70db.

Is there a meter built into the app To determine signal overlap or measure signal strength?

Also, The devices list in the app shows client signal strengths very inconsistently with what the actual devicees show. (The app shows my phone connected with one bar while my phone shows a three bar solid Wi-Fi connection). Even ethernet devices appear to be attached to child nodes that have wired backhauls. I get the sense that my three node system is creating storms of unnecessary traffic on the LAN. Beginning to doubt if there’s any real benefit to wired back haul especially if it precludes seamless WiFi roaming.