Static IPs on Velop nodes

Hi Linksys Dev team,
When setting up a mesh and not using the built-in DHCP it's hard to know which IP the nodes gets. Management is almost impossible. I am using my own DHCP server and I have created reservation for all three nodes (WHW0303) so I can access them one-by-one.
Aside of management I also eliminate some of the unnecessary DHCP traffic using the reservation.
However, a better solution, would be the Option (in the app - under Velop Administration) to allow the "IP Address" option to be editable say: Click on the IP address (make the last bit editable) and have a button that says "Make this IP Address permanent". This way I would know which and where my nodes are and the Parent node would have a routing table that is never changing. Less traffic, less noise -> better performance.

All-the-best :-)

Re: Static IPs on Velop nodes

Yes, please allow static IP configuration for child nodes.

[ Edited ]

Yes, it is not a very good idea to use DHCP for network devices like this, specialy whe using Bridge mode.

For example, if I need to shut down or have a problem with my DHCP Server, then my wireless network will also go down due to the velop not bein able to get an IP for themselves or renew their lease, this not only makes takes the internal network also down but makes troubleshooting a lot more difficult... DHCP for access points is unnecessary and not recommended.

Please add Static IP configuration for all nodes when in Bridge mode.

BigMamma wrote:

Hi Linksys Dev team,
When setting up a mesh and not using the built-in DHCP it's hard to know which IP the nodes gets. Management is almost impossible. I am using my own DHCP server and I have created reservation for all three nodes (WHW0303) so I can access them one-by-one.
Aside of management I also eliminate some of the unnecessary DHCP traffic using the reservation.
However, a better solution, would be the Option (in the app - under Velop Administration) to allow the "IP Address" option to be editable say: Click on the IP address (make the last bit editable) and have a button that says "Make this IP Address permanent". This way I would know which and where my nodes are and the Parent node would have a routing table that is never changing. Less traffic, less noise -> better performance.

All-the-best :-)

Hi--

I agree. One of the previous firmware loads allowed this (1.1.1.180735). Not sure why they changed it. Another step backward. I have 7 Velop nodes. Trying to memorize all the random DHCP IP addresses is impossible.

J

Hello all.

Until Linksys gives us the capability to do this easily, I have discovered a workaround.

1. Set your Velop administrator password, if you have not already done so.
  2. Add any child Velop nodes to the network as normal, if you have not already done so.
  3. Login to your master Velop node's web interface by navigating to its IP address in a browser.
  4. Navigate to Connectivity -> Local Network -> DHCP Reservations.
  5. Your nodes should appear in the lower table. Check them and click Add DHCP Reservation.
  6. Use the Edit button in the right column of the upper table to edit the new entries and set your desired IP addresses.
  7. Power-cycle each child node.

I hope to see Linksys allow editing of node IP addresses as others here have suggested, but until then, this has worked for me and my three nodes.

Cheers,

Ben

Would also appreciate being able to set static IPs for the nodes (in Bridge Mode, in my case).