Re: Velop NDA / Beta testers group

Would like to be added to the beta testers group

I would like to be on the Beta as well. I am reviously a network enginerr for quite a long time and a CIO of a streaming meadia group. I have a lot of experience and a lot of hardware within my home network. Here is my current review of the product I placed on amazon.

It's a good solution for what it is. Here are the good parts:

1. Only 1 node needs to be hardwired for all of them to work. However to note, if you want full bandwidth and faster/better handoff when roaming your coverage area you should attempt to have as many wires as possible. That said it works very well as a solution to expand wireless coverage that works much better than wireless extenders.
2. Setup is meant to be dead simple. You use the app on your phone or tablet for initial setup and maintaining the system. You can add this to an existing router, or the first node when being setup can be configured as your router.
3. There are 2 wired ports on each node. If you are hard wiring nodes this will occupy one of the ports, so keep that in mind. However there is nothing stopping you from putting a switch on the other port and wiring several network devices to it.
4. They look good and are not large or intrusive.
5. You are able to add many nodes to the system, just buy more. I however don't know what the limit is, I have 5 and I could add more to my knowledge.

Here are the frustrating parts:

1. Setup sometimes is pretty bumpy through the app. Recognizing nodes sometimes takes a few tries, and if you are trying to setup each one in the place you hope to place them, you may have to retry the setup for additional nodes within a couple feet of the first one to get them to detect and speak to each other, then move it to the location you prefer it to be.
2. It is frequently not good at penetrating some walls/areas. I have 2 areas in my house, one is my garage and I have placed a node in there which is 20-25 feet from the primary node and through 1 wall. They cant reach each other even if I move one of the nodes with 10-15 feet of the other through 1 wall. I have another upstairs, directly above the main node in my office, and it cannot be reach either. I placed an additional node in my master bedroom, 25 feet down the hall with no obstructions from doorway to doorway, and the office node placed just inside the doorway but still behind the wall by 2 feet and they cannot connect to each other.
3. The double NAT will not work for many situations. I have a VPN router that I use connected to my cable internet so it functions as my router and DHCP server. Velop then has it's own DHCP for anything connected to it. I have a TiVO box that records shows and used for live TV. I have a TiVO mini which connects wirelessly to my network (now through Velop). The TiVO mini connects to the main TiVO over the network and streams live TV or recorded TV from the main box. However with Velop they cannot see eachother over the network, and since Velop is a "user friendly" solution, you do not have access to any way of manually NATting, port forwarding, etc. which means it breaks my ability to use my TiVO.
3. You cannot tune the configuration through any "supported" method. If you want to make changes, like using your main router as the DHCP server for both networks, bridging both networks (to solve solutions like my TiVO issue), or other configuration, you have to jump through hoops and click a hidden link in the browser redirect for the Velop system to get access to these features. And they don't work well at all.

Expert

If you would like to try a Velop Beta Firmware see the below forum thread:

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/Beta-Open-for-Bridge-Mode-and-Parental-Contro...

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Please add me too!

Please add me also

Highlighted
Expert

Velop beta testing is complete. 

No additional Velop beta testers are required at this time.

A big thank you to the Velop beta testers that tested the beta firmware\apps and also to those that were willing to participate in beta testing Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support