Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Velop Network Setup via switch

Guys, anyone of you tried if this system will work? 

As concrete walls and floors don't really penetrate wifi signal, from router ->  main node (backhaul) -> switch (16ports), then add more nodes from the switch via wire, will this be possible?

Re: Velop Network Setup via switch

@edsweng

This setup should work since the switch is just a passthrough, however, it's best to put the main node as the primary router to fully optimize the mesh network of the Velop System. 

Ces-21490
Linksys Technical Support

Thanks Ces_C. All the best.

Ddd

Will a switch be used for connecting a wired security camera system?

@rickt,

Yes, you can use the switch for connecting a wired security camera as long as your main network is the Velop system.

Jo-Ann - 21744

I have this same type of setup and for the most part it works except for when the cable company does maintenance on the cable modem and they reboot it. When this happens my primary Velop node will not reestablish an internet connection through the cable modem when my switch is plugged into the second network port on the Velop.  I have to unplug my switch cable from my Velop then reboot the cable modem again.  Then once the Velop reconnects to the internet then I can plug my switch in.  Does anyone have a way to get around this because otherwise this is not really a good feature to have with the product.  I would think that the Velop should just automatically reconnect to the internet once the modem is back up.

Hi, hopenova.
Instead of unplugging the switch cable and rebooting your cable modem, you can try restarting the Velop system physically or through the web UI to refresh the system from the maintenance conducted. Also, make sure that the firmware version is updated.

Pamela - 21733

Firmware is up to date.  Restarting the Velop does not make a difference either.  After further testing I actually isolated the issue down to my second node.  I have it in my garage and I have it connected by etherenet cable back to my switch instead of connecting to the main node wirelessly due to poor signal.  When the second node is plugged and my cable modem reboots the main node will not get an internet connection.  If the second node is disconnected and the cable modem reboots the main node has no issue reestablishing the internet connection.  Any Idea why the second node is causing this issue.

Expert

@hopenovawrote:

Firmware is up to date.  Restarting the Velop does not make a difference either.  After further testing I actually isolated the issue down to my second node.  I have it in my garage and I have it connected by etherenet cable back to my switch instead of connecting to the main node wirelessly due to poor signal.  When the second node is plugged and my cable modem reboots the main node will not get an internet connection.  If the second node is disconnected and the cable modem reboots the main node has no issue reestablishing the internet connection.  Any Idea why the second node is causing this issue.

Is you network topology?

ISP Modem => Velop Primary node => Switch => Velop secondary node

Is your switch a managed switch with VLAN capability?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support