When will an actual real network configuration be available?

[ Edited ]

So, I am very very very interested in getting a whole home wifi setup.  It has been something I have needed since Wifi made it to the home.  Using range extenders and access points is a pain.  As a network engineer however, letting "magic" happen behind the scenes is not going to do it for me. 

My current home network is very planned, organized, and well managed.  I have an extensive wired network throughout my house, making use of routers and switches (mostly switches) for a wired network and only use wireless where absolutaly necessary, which is turning into a lot of things.  Such as: cell phones, tablets, ultrabooks, some gaming systems that only connect via wifi.  I still have desktops, laptops, TV's, gaming consoles, network attached speakers, home theater systems, NAS, etc, using wired networks. 

I have used linksys devices since the late 1990's and even when it has changed hands several times the quality has stayed mostly consistent.  What would make this an excellent wireless solutions is that it needs to be able to connect the nodes over a wired back bone and allow advanced network customization, basic network security, and a browser based configuration (maybe even command line?).  Doing everything from a app on a tiny cell phone screen is a bad idea, in my opinion.

There seems to be this assumption that 100% of the end users of this technology are unable to actually setup this kind of technology.  I beleive the reality is more of a 50/50 split and even then, it isn't becuase they can't, they probably think it is too difficult or just don't want to be bothered.  It is entirely possible to make a user friendly configuration interface while giving a deeper and more granular configuration to people who want to do that.  To be completely honest, I want enterprise class network management in my home network without spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on equipment.  I know that isn't going to happen, but how close can we get?

Re: When will an actual real network configuration be available?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Why would using Access points be a pain? If you have an extensive wired network, they would by far be the easiest, cost effective, and most conifgurable option.  Consider some Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE or UAP-AC-PRO access points and let them handle all the Wi-Fi, turning off any existing Wi-Fi you have going.  I think you will be surprised how configurable they can be via the controller software.  LITEs are Dual Band 802.11AC 2x2, PROs are Dual Band 802.11AC 3x3 and can be mounted outside.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I've spent many years looking for the 'perfect' setup - I started out with Ubiquiti UAP's and Edgerouters spread across the floors in the house, but to be honest it always seems that there is something that needs to be bent, twisted or tweaked (UAP's through the unifi software specifically).  I tried everything up to the Pro's and the AC's units, but I think the advent of having a big radio AP is going away - because you can never crank up the power enough to cover everywhere, and even if you can the limiting factor will be the power of the return radio in the client  (laptops/desktops are ok, but handheld devices etc) - even they have seen this with their own mesh offering.

The thing that appeals to me about the Velop is 'all in one' configuration, but similar to the same reasons why you would separate wireless and routing functions as a best practice anyway, still leads me back to a 'bit of both' solutions.  So ideally I think I'll end up with a Ubiquiti edgerouter for the internet connection, but then a cluster of Velop's is a mesh (via bridge mode) exclusively owning the wireless configuration in a kind of 'make the wireless work' without having to go down into details of the configs.