Re: 183316 - ethernet backhaul guest wifi?

Thanks for your reply, no worry, take your time. I am using managed switch and have set the different vlans for some special purpose. So could you tell me what exacting meaning of tagging the Velop ports with VLANs 3 & 4 and how to do that (more detail about the setting process would be wonderful!) Thanks!

[ Edited ]

@VTBOY, inspired by your message, I quickly tried the guest network access using wired backhaul again, and was unsuccessful. Everything looks like it's fine, i.e. all nodes in the velop system are solid blue, however there is no network access for the devices connected to guest. I have followed up with Linksys support, so we will see what happens.

**Forgot to mention that I assigned VLANs 1, 3, and 4 to the nodes using the managed switch. For your reference, you can check the backhaul status by connecting to the primary node, 192.168.XXX.XXX/sysinfo.cgi and searching for "bh_report"

NODE IP          PARENT IP            Intf.  Chan.   RSSI(AP/STA)      Speed  State
---------------  ---------------     -----  -----   ------------  ---------  -----
192.168.XXX.XXX   192.168.XXX.XXX     5GH    149          -65/-64   98.47900     up
192.168.XXX.XXX   192.168.XXX.XXX     5GH    149          -69/-67   89.75900     up  

These values are from after switching back to wireless.

Thanks for your quick test. Yeah, I did check BH_report, it's all wired. It just seems like the information of the guest network on the parent node can not send to the child nodes so that the child nodes can't even get IP. It's just super weird. I post my issue to this page as well, check it out to see more information about my velop test if you want. Here's the link:

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/Velop-Guest-Access-bug/td-p/1100124/page/5

Have you tested the parent node connect to the child node with a like 1-2m network wire directly to see if the guest network of the child node has the internet connection. For the second test, try parent node connects to switch first, switch connects to child node with 1-2m network wire directly to see if the guest network of the child node has the internet connection. That's what Linksys engineer didn't ask me to do but I think it's necessary to give it a try. At least, when I get time, I will do that. If the guest network works on the child node that way, we may conclude that the bug of the velop might relate to the switch.

Had a chance to test the system.

1) Tried without ethernet backhaul- guest network works fine.

2) Tried with ethernet backhaul but direct LAN connection between the nodes- Guest network works fine

3) Tried with ethernet backhaul but through a switch- Guest network does not connect on the child nodes.

The Main router is set to DHCP.

[ Edited ]

Some velop users suggested me to open 192.168.XXX.XXX/sysinfo.cgi and search guest_vlan_id=? to see if the number shows 3. you Since they are also doubting something is wrong with our vlan issue. If you get time today, it's worth to try it. I might get time to go to my new house tomorrow to check what's going on as well. (I posted it to another page too)

If the number is not 3, I want to make sure that you used T or U for the VLAN 3. So ideally, for your case, it should be T for all velop lan ports with VLAN 3, and VLAN 4 with U for all velop lan ports and VLAN 1 with U for all velop lan ports.

Also, what's your vlan 1 and 4 for? For me I will tag vlan 1, 2, 3 for the velop lan ports. So Vlan 1 is just the default vlan ID, I wanna leave it for all ports on the switch and vlan 2 is for velop network lan (not guest access) and vlan 3 is for velop guest network lan.

Hi,

I think I understand what you’re saying. On the velop ports I assigned VLANs 1,3, and 4. With VLAN 1 untagged and VLANs 3 & 4 tagged. VLAN 1 is the default VLAN. I used 3 & 4 because Linksys support told me that those VLANs were used for the guest network. When I checked the system info, it said that VLAN 3 was being used for the guest network.

[ Edited ]

Got it. What vlan ID is for your main network not guest network? I guess it's vlan 1? Even this way, the guest network of child nodes didn't work?

Thought you didn't need vlan 4 since the guest vlan ID is 3, but I think it doesn't matter as long as you tagged vlan 3 on all the 3 velop lan ports. And that way should fix the issue... but based on your result, it's not fixed, I'm going to try tomorrow and post my details here.

[ Edited ]

Well, maybe delete vlan 4 and keep vlan 3 for guest access with T, we need try it.

Also, I still didn't know which ports on the vlan switch did you tag with vlan 3&4, maybe you tagged the wrong ports? I need know more details, thanks!

Hey, asutt, there are some good news here. From the other post I mentioned to you before, we got the reply from the Linksys Communities Technical Support, he said he would test If tagged packets are sent and would confirm managed switch settings required for them and post new results. So just wanna inform you, he might post something today which might be able to solve our issue.

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/Velop-Guest-Access-bug/m-p/1273420#M7190

[ Edited ]

@VTBOY, thanks for the update. I tested again tonight without VLAN 4. I'm using a TP-LINK TL-SG3210 switch. The Velop nodes are connected to ports 4-6. Port 1 is connected to the router. I created VLAN 3 and changed the port type of ports 1, 4-6 to "General", meaning they can be assigned to more than one VLAN. I assigned 1, 4-6 to VLANs 1 & 3. Port 1 I left untagged. Ports 4-6 I set as tagged for VLAN 3, untagged VLAN 1. Still no internet on the guest network. I also tried setting ports 4-6 as untagged for VLAN 3, no internet on the guest network. Finally, I tried tagging VLANs 1 & 3 on ports 4-6, still no internet on the guest network.

****Update:

One thing I've found that is a bit suspicious is that the guest subnet found in sysinfo doesn't match up with the IP assigned to the device by DHCP. As an example (I'm making up the numbers), if my primary network is set to 192.168.10.XXX, my device on the guest network (phone) was getting an IP in the range 192.168.11.XXX. However, in sysinfo it says the guest network is 192.168.5.XXX. I manually set the IP on my phone to 192.168.5.XXX and nothing happened. I switched back to DHCP, and the phone got a new IP in the 192.168.5.XXX range and now it has internet. I've tried forgetting the network completely and reconnecting, and it still works. At some point, it lost the IP and went back to the old, incorrect one and I had a very difficult time getting it back on the 192.168.5.XXX IP. It's hard to tell right now if it's repeatable. Also, sysconfig reported both child nodes as being wired, but the parent IP was "unknown".