183316 - ethernet backhaul guest wifi?

can anyone confirm whether the new firmware fixes the problem of not allowing guest wifi access when using ethernet backhaul?  

I'm on 180735 which was the last stable version and running on wireless modes and just suffereing with the intermittent connectivity.   works for most uses except AT&T Wifi and Whatsapp voice calls drop like crazy.

thanks

Re: 183316 - ethernet backhaul guest wifi?

Hello there. To clarify, do you have a switch between the nodes? If there is a switch, what's its make and model? Also, the new firmware has added optimizations for the backhaul link and improved backhaul detection. It is suggested that you update your Velop system to fully experience your Velop network.

Harvey - 21598
Linksys Technical Support

it's a Linksys SRW2024 gigabit switch.    

If the problem doesn't fix with the latest Velop firmware, email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com so that we can have our Escalation Engineers assist you further. Include the link to this post, and your contact number and location.

Kloe-21503
Linksys Technical Support

Is this issue fixed? My guess is that it isn't, since I'm still experiencing it, and my firmware hasn't been updated since August. Should I assume that this very expensive, year old device is now end-of-life? What a dreadful product. I'm seriously considering giving up on this entirely and moving to a different mesh system. 

*****UPDATE: I'm going to reply to my own post. I have to say that I want to change the tone of the above message. Linksys has actually been awesome about helping me with this issue. While there still isn't a new firmware update, their team reached out to me to do some testing to solve the issues I've been having. Interestingly, they suggested that the problem with the guest WiFi using wired backhaul was related to the nodes being connected through a managed switch. They said I should be sure to assign VLANs 3 & 4 to the nodes, as this is used for the guest network communication. So far, there is no solution to the other problem I've had, which is dropped connections on the main network with wired backhaul, and the complete inability of my Google Home to connect, they are actively working on this issue and told me they would have their team try to emulate my setup in their lab.

Unexpectedly amazing customer service!

Hi,

I am having the same issue with my guest network which is backhauled through a swicth. Only the parent node works but the others dont.

Not sure if I have a managed switch or not but will look into it. how did you solve the issue?

Thanks.

I haven't tried the solution yet, as I was also experiencing issues with my primary network. I'm working with Linksys to test a couple of different scenarios, as I was seeing constant dropped connections with wired backhaul and Windows 10 machines. For now, I've unplugged the wire from the child nodes, and everything works well. I've noticed some speed decrease, but no more drops. 

For the guest wifi, I would definitely try tagging the Velop ports with VLANs 3 & 4, to see if that solves the issue, but it will only work if your switch is managed.

Hi, asutt, I have tried both unmanaged and manged switch to connect the parent node, the guest acess from the any of my child node has no internet all the time.

I also didn't try tagging the velop port with Vlans 3& 4, did you try it? Does it work?

@VTBOY, I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but if I get some time this week, I will set it up and report back. I'm also in the process of swapping out my primary router (the Velops are setup as access points), so that may delay things a bit.