1GB download service from Xfinity and Velop gives me 200 mbps - agh!

[ Edited ]

I recently upgraded my internet speed with Xfinity to 1GB down load and 45 upload.

They gave me a special 1GB combined router-modem.

My velop was only giving me 200 mbps speed at best, even when direcly connected via ethernet.

Based on the community forum, I put my velop into bridge mode.

That helped. 

When I am connected directly into the velop I get 800 mbps but when I connect wirelessly I only get 200.

Plz help.

Re: 1GB download service from Xfinity and Velop gives me 200 mbps - agh!

@CherryBlossom

Hi there! Make sure that all nodes run their latest firmware isolate the issue on the Velop System. Do you mean when connected to the Velop via ethernet, you'll get 800 Mbps but will only have 200 Mbps via wireless connection while in Bridge mode? If so, does it have the same results when setting your Velop to router/normal mode? 

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

All nodes have the latest firmware.

When I connect my laptop via ethernet into the Velop I get 800+ mpbs speed.

However, when connecting the same computer to the same velop via wirelessly I get 200 mpbs.

I get the same result for all my nodes.

Try to separate the 2.4g and 5g with different network names via a web browser on a computer. You can only get maximum speed if you force your devices to connect with the 5g band.

Got that, CherryBlossom. To verify, in which network band are you connecting wirelessly? Also, how far are you connecting the wireless devices from the node? For further isolation, you may try to daisy chain the nodes, and check the speed. Let us know if the issue persist so we can have this case escalated.

Nestor_C 21974

The wireless device is 15 feet from the node. Plz escalate.

@CherryBlossom wrote:
The wireless device is 15 feet from the node. Plz escalate.

Were you able to daisy chain the nodes? If not, you may try to do so. If the same issue occurs, shoot us an email at LinksysCares@linksys.com. Send this following:

• Username
  • Contact number
Nestor_C 21974

[ Edited ]

The Velop nodes only have 2x antennas so the most you can theoretically get is;

2.4Ghz = max 144.4

5Ghz = max 300

AC = max 866.7

That assumes a perfect scenario, no RF interference (unlikely) - but the speeds depend on the capability of the wireless client.  Is is an iPhone / iMac / laptop etc that you are performing the test with?

Seriously?

Max speed wirelessly on 5g is only 300?

Any recommends then on a better mesh system?
Highlighted

That 300 MB speed would be for wifi N on 5GHz.  The fastest you could possibly see in a perfect world would require your device to have Wifi AC and the max speed would be 866.7 Mbps.  Hard wire is the only way to take full advantage of your ISP 1 Gbps, regardless of what mesh system you use.  These are the limitations of our existing technology.  It's crazy that we are approaching 1 Gbps on wifi when my first wifi B router's theoretical max was 11 Mbps...and it never got close to that speed in real usage.  Typically was around 3 Mbps.

Disclaimer....I have only used Google Mesh Wifi and Velop.  For me, Velop gives better coverage and faster speeds, as well as the abilty to customize more options. i.e. Separate your 5 and 2.4 Ghz SSID's or turn off 2.4 all together.  I had to leave my 2.4Ghz on for some smart home devices that do not support 5Ghz.  So I just separated the bands and I have a much more reliable connection and faster wifi speeds.

I do wish Linksys would add the option to connect to a VPN tunnel so that every device on your network was more privated and protected.  I would rather not have to spend a couple more hundred dollars to buy an addional router with this capability and then put Velop in bridge mode.  I know it can be done Smiley Happy