3 Story Townhouse and Apple Time Capsule

Greetings all,

I just purchased the Velop, 2 pack (hoping it does what everyone is saying) and I had a few questions:

1) Will these two nodes work throughout my townhouse? It is three stories and 2400 sq ft. I'm thinking of getting a third, but I want to ask before buying. And YES, I can set it up and see, but it may be easier just to get the third.

2) I have many apple products (too many) and I am currently running my wifi through Apple Time Capsule, which doesn't do well for the third level. Are there any tricks to setting this up, maybe some do's and don'ts?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Spydameng

Re: 3 Story Townhouse and Apple Time Capsule

Hi @spydameng

To answer your questions:

(1) - I very much doubt it. The Velop is a sub-standard product which - in my experience, corroborated by others on this forum - works poorly if at all. If I could I would return mine, and I suggest that you take the opportunity to do so while you can. Under no circumstances could I recommend that you spend any more moey on this awful product. At the very least make sure you have at least a week's uninterupted usage before you even contemplate doubling down.

(2) - there is nothing specially good or bad about using Apple products that I have seen. I run 60+ devices, of which probably 10-15 are Apple. All work equally badly. Don't spend any more money on Velop. Do get a refund on the ones you have purchased.

If you think this is just the view of one embittered, disaffected, atypical user then I suggest you have a good read of this forum!

Expert

@PianSomwrote:

Hi @spydameng

To answer your questions:

(1) - I very much doubt it. The Velop is a sub-standard product which - in my experience, corroborated by others on this forum - works poorly if at all. If I could I would return mine, and I suggest that you take the opportunity to do so while you can. Under no circumstances could I recommend that you spend any more moey on this awful product. At the very least make sure you have at least a week's uninterupted usage before you even contemplate doubling down.

(2) - there is nothing specially good or bad about using Apple products that I have seen. I run 60+ devices, of which probably 10-15 are Apple. All work equally badly. Don't spend any more money on Velop. Do get a refund on the ones you have purchased.

If you think this is just the view of one embittered, disaffected, atypical user then I suggest you have a good read of this forum!

Hi PianSom--

You experiences with velop are significantly different from mine. I have a relatively stable system with 7 nodes. It's easy for you to generalize but please provide specifics and yes I do read the forum.

Z

PianSan,

Thank you for your feedback. What are you currently using for your 60+ devices and apple products? I like the "mess wifi" concept and hoping to find one that is reliable, as it is technology. I've been watching reviews and apparently the Google wifi, eero and the Netgear Orbi RBK40 Tri-band WiFi System. I'm sure people have had issues with each of these, again it is technology. I'm looking for a solid mesh wifi because my apple time capsule won't extend to my third floor.

Thanks,

Spydameng

Hi @Zoro

You have said on another thread that your system requires regular re-starting to be usable. I am very glad that you are happy with it, though - as I have said to you before - someone who is happy with "a relatively stable" system at this price point is in my opinion easily satisfied. 

In any case, it is poor form to hijack someone else's thread with your own axe to grind. Can I perhaps suggest that you maybe address the original poster's questions (as I did)?

Highlighted

Zoro 1, I know you are a frequent "viewer" as I've seen many of your responses. What are you thoughts?

@Spydamengwrote:

PianSan,

Thank you for your feedback. What are you currently using for your 60+ devices and apple products? I like the "mess wifi" concept and hoping to find one that is reliable, as it is technology. I've been watching reviews and apparently the Google wifi, eero and the Netgear Orbi RBK40 Tri-band WiFi System. I'm sure people have had issues with each of these, again it is technology. I'm looking for a solid mesh wifi because my apple time capsule won't extend to my third floor.

Thanks,

Spydameng

Hi @Spydameng

I am using 4 Velop nodes in bridge mode, all wirelessly, with DHCP provided by a wired router upstream of the Velops and DNS provided by a Pi running pi-hole. I have a ~5-6k sq ft house on two levels.I have a significant number of home automation uits, which regularly inform me that they cannot get wifi access.

I invested a significant sum in Velop last year and have been constantly disappointed by it - frequent drop-outs and regular re-boots requited. Like you I am very attracted by mesh wifi, especially since my house is challenging with a few very thick walls. Safe to say that I have not foud Velop solved my issues. Smiley Happy

Other users who have come and gone on this forum seem to rate the Orbi, though I am left deeply cynical given the positive reviews that the Velop garners on Amzon etc. 

Good luck!

PS Apologies for typos - this Macbook seems to have "n" issues Smiley Happy 

Expert

@Spydamengwrote:

Zoro 1, I know you are a frequent "viewer" as I've seen many of your responses. What are you thoughts?

Hi Spydameng--

To provide a meaningful response I'd needd to unerstand more specifics:

1. What is you ISP bandwidth?

2. What is your proposed configuration of the velops:

for example:

ISP modem -> router -> velop?

or

ISP modem -> velop master (router) -> switch -> velop slave (wired)

or

ISP mdeom -> velop master (router) -> velop slave (wireless

3. How many wireless devices will you have on your network?

4. How many simultaneous users? Do you often stream movies?

5. What is the WiFi environment of your townhouse? Are there many SSIDs and overlapping channels from your neighbors?

I can help more with additional information.

Z

Hi PianSom, (sorry for butchering your name in my first response)

I'm actually in the process of staging my townhouse to buy a single family home, which is in the range of 4k+ sq ft to include the basement. Needless to say, I need a wifi that works especially when I telework. My home office is on the third floor and my connection is horrible.

Also, I checked out different sites and ratings for hours. The Velop received some very high remarks by many many people. This is one of those purchases that one makes that will live and die with the decision. LOL

Thanks for your feedback.

Spydameng