All connections to Velop are on the 2.4ghz band?

All wifi connections on the network are at 2.4ghz despite all of them being cpable of 5ghz.

Example my PC sits 2 feet from a Velop node, its only a couple of months old, high end machine with an Intel AC8260 wifi adapter and yet it is only connected at 2.4ghz.

3 other PC's, a couple of phones, a tablet and 4 media players yet nothing is connected on 5ghz. 

I have 5 velop Nodes, all running the latest firmware, updated today to see if it would improve things, it didn't.

Is there something that needs to be set to get Velop to use the 5ghz band?

TIA

Rob
(originally misposted to Ideas)

Re: All connections to Velop are on the 2.4ghz band?

What is recommended is using just one Wi-Fi name for your Velop. But you can re-name the Wi-Fi name of the 5GHz network into something different and allow your devices to connect to the 5GHz network.

To do that:

1. On any computer/laptop connected to your Velop system, type http://x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the Parent node).

2. Click on Click Here

1.jpg  

3. Type the admin password of your Velop

2.jpg

4. On the home scree, click Wireless on the left side panel

4.jpg

5. Under the Wireless tab, click Show more

6.jpg

6. From here you can change the Wi-Fi name of your 5GHz network (and other settings)

7.jpg

Click Apply

Hope this helps

The default when you set it up is that it's multi-band but you can seprate them out as noted above.   I get a massive number of internet drops when I use the multi-band setup allowing use of the 5Ghz band for device connections, so separating them out and only using 2.4 has improved the stability of my 6 node system (but, of course, I'm missing out enormously on the speed of 5Ghz).

Expert

[ Edited ]

From my testing the Velop will fast transfer to a 2.4Ghz by default.

A workaround to bypass this behaviour is to have separate SSIDs' and passwords for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Then on devices where you don't want them to ever to fast transfer to the 2.4Ghz get them to forget\remove the saved 2.4Ghz network.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Separating SSID should not be an option/ solution, since its a sort of contradict to the primary purpose of having a Mesh wifi and doing the same a traditional wifi extender can do. 

By my experience with Velop so far, I found the devices which luckily are connected to 5G, always have a better speed. 

Either the Velop should have a better bands' choosing system for 5G capaible devices, or should offers an option for user to pick a specific band for the connected devices without separating the SSID.

[ Edited ]

I have just installed Linksys Velop with two nodes. Everything is running on 2.4 and have weak signals. My security cameras require the 2.4 system. How do I tell the computers to use the 5 system. I could go into the wifi settings and add a 5 next to the wifi name on the 5 GHz band. But when I do that I get the following error message. "Velop combines bands to act as one network. To enjoy seamless roaming, connect mobile devices to each Wifi name once. Are you sure?" I am not sure I should do this, but it would solve my problem as I could log my devices that do not require 2.4 into the 5 GHz wifi. I just dumped my xfinity modem as the signal was horrible. I bought a Netgear CM500V Cable modem for Internet & Voice. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance . . .

Unfortunately, when I do that, I can connect to 5Ghz, but don't get any IP address from DHCP on the router.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I can see all of my DHCP by going to Connectivity > Local Network > DHCP Reservations. I don't have any DHCP Reservations, but I can see the IP addresses for all of my items that are connected. By the way, I did make the 5GHz visible by adding the 5 to the name. I have all our computers on the 5GHz and our security cameras on the 2.4GHz. Everything seems to be working fine.