Android phones connecting and staying only on 2.4 Ghz not 5Ghz

Hi, 

I hope Linksys support or experts can help me here. Al my android devices are only i am seeing on 2.4 Ghz including my LG G5 etc. But iPhone is connecting to 5Ghzwith full speed. Eve if my Android phone is in same room where Linksys velop node is like 5 fet away still it only connects on 2.4 Ghz which results into less speed. I tried recycle velop node , running Channel Finder multiple times, recycle devices, forget Wifi option in andoird and reconnecting but no luck.

NOTE:- I am on latest firmware and all my nodes are connected via Ethernet backhaul.

I will really appriciate if someone help.

-San

Re: Android phones connecting and staying only on 2.4 Ghz not 5Ghz

[ Edited ]

@LanceSantosh

Were you able to connect these devices to the 5GHz network before? Make sure that it's capable of detecting/connecting to it.

To isolate, try to check if your android devices are able to detect the 5GHz frequency on a different network. Also, since the Linksys Velop is a mesh system, you will not detect the 5GHz and will only provide the best frequency for your devices. 

Ces-21490
Linksys Technical Support

Same devices worked fine with my old asus router on. 5Ghz n on Netgear Orbi which I returned on 5GHz. Velop supports band steering so I was hoping it will connect on 5Ghz band its connecting on 2.4 Ghz. It connects once in week sometimes on 5Ghz.

Just to clarify, did you create a separate network for the 2.4 and 5GHz frequency band? How did you identify whether your devices are connected to either the 2.4 and 5GHz network? We'd like to get a better picture of your network setup so we can further assist you. 

Ces-21490

The 2.4 n 5 Ghz network have same name. When I select settings :- Network:- Wi-Fi and select connected wifi network name (homewifi) I see network frequency = 2.4 Ghz , network speed. 86. Mbps. All my velop nodes are on ethernet backhaul per instructions given by linksys n iphone works fine n connects on 5 Ghz.
Expert

Hi, LanceSantosh. Let's have our Escalation Engineers look into this matter further. Email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com your full name, phone number, location (country/state), and the link to this community post for our reference. We'll have the team provide you a more advanced troubleshooting steps.

Chris-21499

What I did was name them differently then downloaded wifi prioritizer and prioritized the 5G network - that's with my Glalxy S7edge running nougut

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I too have an LG G5 and am having the same symptom.

My phone can connect to the 5GHz band if I have unique SSIDs.  When I re-merged them, I was auto connecting to the 2.4GHz band.

This is corraborated by two three observations that I'm assuming I can trust. 

* Firstly, using the Linksys android app, when I inspect the Device(s) connected to the router, it shows that my G5 is connected to the node I'm closest to at 2.4 GHz.

* Secondly, using the speedtest app, the download speed I am getting more closely matches the speed when manually connected at 2.4 GHz as opposed to at 5 GHz.

-edit- * Thirdly, the phone itself tells me that it is connected to the access point at 2.4 GHz with excellent signal strength.

I've also tried putting my phone right next to the router node and toggled (off then back on) the wifi on my phone.

Was there a solution for the OP?

My Macbook connects to the 5GHz band correctly from roughly the same place as my phone.

Thanks

-edit-

I forgot to mention that I have 2 nodes in the system if that matters.

The (child) node that it is connected to is in the common area between all the bedrooms.

* Backhaul should not be the issue since manual 5GHz shows a difference.

Hi, fulminatus. Were you able to observe if other android devices connect to 2.4GHz only? Try to place a different android phone close to the Velop and check if it would still connect to the 2.4GHz network. Also, try to delete the cache on your LG device and see if it'll make any difference.

Rosalyn - 21986

Hi Rosalyn,

I've tried another Android phone (LG Nexus 4  Anandtech review - LG Nexus 4) right next to the child node and it connected at 2.4GHz as well.

I've done the cache thing on my main phone and it did not change the behaviour.

Thanks

Simon