Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Best way to connect 2 buildings far apart

Hi need some advice on the best way to connect two buildings as below.

- I will use VELOP for the MAIN HOUSE, but need to decide what is the best modem?
 - I don't think I can connect VELOPS on the same PARENT from the MAIN HOUSE to reach the SUMMER HOUSE, but I have CAT6 between the building. Can I set up another modem at SUMMER HOUSE with SINGLE VELOP?

Advice Welcome!!

Slide1.PNG

Re: Best way to connect 2 buildings far apart

No need for another modem, sarimk. All you have to do is to hardwire the Velop node to your parent node which is located in your main house. However, the farther the nodes are from each other (wired or wireless), it would affect the speed of your internet connection.

To set up a wired Velop system, refer to this link

Ces-21490
Linksys Technical Support

Okay, a few other questions.
1. Do you have a recommended modem with the Velop?
2. If i use your solution above to hard wire one Velop node why would this slow down my speed?
Thanks.

As long as the modem has an Ethernet connection, then it should work with the Velop system. With regards to the decrease in speed, it's because the farther away the node is from its source of internet connection, the longer it takes for the signal to reach it -- wired or wireless. When this happens, not only would speed be affected but also the actual connection.

Harvey - 21598
Linksys Technical Support

So, would it better (for speed of internet) to have 2 modems? One at the top building and one at the bottom both connected to VELOPS for Wifi?

sarimk wrote:

So, would it better (for speed of internet) to have 2 modems? One at the top building and one at the bottom both connected to VELOPS for Wifi?

In order to maintain gigabit connection between the devices, you have to limit the lenght of the CAT6 ethernet cable to less than 100M as much as possible. The shorter, the better.

With regards to your setup, you can have the main Velop (Velop 1) connected to your ISP's modem and connect that long drop from the main Velop to another Velop (Velop 2) configured as a child in the summer building. You can test the wireless coverage on each building and add any number of child nodes as needed. These additional child nodes must be able to configured and be able to connect to either Velop 1 or 2.

thanks @kenji i'll try that and let you know how i get on. Appreciate all the support!

Hi Kenji, this didn't work when I triued to connect the VELOP 2 (attached by the long ethernet cable) to VELOP 1 as a CHILD from the APP at the end of the process the APP can't find VELOP 2 on the location map and fails to create the network.

Any ideas?

Hi Kenji, this didn't work when I tried to connect the VELOP 2 (attached by the long ethernet cable) to VELOP 1 as a CHILD from the APP at the end of the process the APP can't find VELOP 2 on the location map and fails to create the network.

Any ideas?

Ignore my last message this works fine once I had understood that you have to connect the CHILD on wireless first before moving it to the SUMMER HOUSE and plugging it into the Ethernet connected to the VELOP PARENT.

Thanks Kenji!