Re: Clients not switching nodes when roaming

Whoops, sorry... messed up the quoting there, and don't know how to fix it.

Agree with you post but seeing that 'most' people that will buy this setup are techinical enthusiasts there will be more and more people that have the same issue as us. 

I hope the Linksys team is listening and will pipe in and let us know if us users are simply expected to turn off and on our wifi's on our clients to connect to the node right beside us. Having a min RSSI setting on the Velop would really help us in light of not having Client Steering capabilities.

Thanks

Jameel

Jameel wrote:

I hope the Linksys team is listening and will pipe in and let us know if us users are simply expected to turn off and on our wifi's on our clients to connect to the node right beside us. Having a min RSSI setting on the Velop would really help us in light of not having Client Steering capabilities.

Maybe so, though again, my worry would be that a minimum RSSI threshold would, while improving roaming from node to node within the home, reduce range when out in the yard, so I would definitely leave this off if it were added (though, of course, other users may have different priorities, and would value this feature).

Ideally, what would be great is if the Velop team could implement some sort of hybrid approach, where a minimum RSSI setting can be used to prompt client devices to scan for closer nodes, while also retaining the ability to allow clients to remain connected even below that threshold if there's no better node to connect to.  It would basically be like the client being told "you're about to get cut off here, go find another AP to connect to", and client either finds a better node, or if no better node is available, is told by the current AP, "just kidding, you can stay."

Not sure if that's technically feasible.  Then again, maybe that's how the Client Steering feature that you mentioned (which I am unfamiliar with) works already.  Because again, it is my understanding that mobile devices don't constantly poll all the APs in the area (only when it "needs" to), so how can the system even know whether or not there is a better node that the client could be steered to?

I Googled this issue and found this thread. I just purchased the Velop system and have four nodes. Four nodes are overkill for my house but I wanted the Black Velop and they were sold in pairs. 

I want my devices to connect to the closet Velop.

I have one node in my Master Bedroom and another node in my Living Room. When I go from the Master Bedroom to the Living Room with my MacBook Pro, it stays connected to the Master Bedroom instead of switching to the Living Room node. The speed is considerably upgraded when I manually disconnect and reconnect. When in the Living Room and connected to the Master Bedroom, I am getting about 172Mbps. When I manually disconnect/reconnect, my speed to the Living Room node is 867Mps.

I would like Linksys to build something into the Velop system that can detect if another node on the mesh network can serve a client better/faster. It should just be a background process that happens.

I have the same issue. I added a 3rd Velop for a weak area but now, my phone will stay connected to the further Node. I’m sitting 5 feet from one but it’s still reaching out to the one 100 feet away. Must be a firmware fix or setting to correct this. The entire point of this system is to bounce around to the better signal.

Using the Linksys App, I noticed my Wemo porch light switch is connected to my Master Bedroom node when my Living Room node is practically right next to it. This really defeats the porpose of having multiple nodes.

Linksys, this definatly needs to be addressed. The nodes should be able to communicate and determine if a different node can provide a stronger signal to a device on the network.

We would need an admin setting to set the min RSSI connection to a device before the node tells it to find another connection. I used to be able to do this with my Ubiquti stuff years ago. The problem is that todays devices such as iPhones, etc will operate at such a low signal before attempting to find another. 

[ Edited ]

I have the same issues have 3 velops 

my TV is 2m away from the main velop but it decide to connect to the furtherst one through walls etc, the same with my HiFi system, 

even my phones iOS devices diffrent models I can walk around the house and ocassionally it will roam but it can as well be stuck to the furtherst velop ... and it will only reconnect when I switch off the WiFI and turn the wifi back.

there should be option to change the connection to the AP based on the signal strenght based on the db like all other AP's do, so you can decrease the db based on your distance between velops