Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Connecting VELOP to Apple Extreme

I am a bit confused and would appreciate some guidance...

I currently am using an Apple Extreme for my wired/WIFI in my house. While adequate, I have purchased three VELOP units to upgrade my WIFI due to the number of cell phones, printers, TV's etc in the house.

An 18-port gigabit switch is used to input 9 surveillance cameras, 3 NAS units and some other equipment. This switch outputs to an Ethernet port on the Extreme. The camera feeds are internal to the house only and only record to one NAS if triggered. No camera data is fed outside the network unless I remote in to check something.
My three main computers - 2 PC and 1 iMac - are hardwired via Ethernet for max bandwidth and I want to keep this hardwired side in place.

What are my options for using the VELOP?
1) Turn off the Apple WIFI and use the VELOP for that? (How to I set this up?)
2) Can the VELOP replace the Extreme if I plug the switch into a Ethernet port on the VELOP?
3) Tech support suggests turning off the Exteme WIFI and using the VELOP as a bridge. (any downside?)
3) What do you suggest? (with some direction please)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Connecting VELOP to Apple Extreme

Hello. If you have the extreme plugged into a modem then you can remove the airport completely. The velop can handle the pppoe login. The. Plug the switch into the first velop. Then all devices wired will connect through. Then you can add the other velops (wired or wireless)

Azreal -

Thanks for the help. My Extreme is plugged into a Motorola/Arfris SB6183 Surf modem. I'm on Road Runner.

To clarify - remove the Extreme, plug the switch into one of the 2 ethernet ports on the main VELOP.

- The second VELOP ethernet port then goes to the modem?

I have no login the way RR is set up here. It's always on. The VELOP handles NAt and everything else?

Cheers.

MrCourtney

Hello.

To start with just plug the velop into the modem and nothing else. Go through the setup. Once all setup then plug in the switch.

The other velops need to be paired wirelessly. Then then can be connected by cable if you wish.

Does you AirPort Extreme app have any setting on it? Eg login setting etc. Look under the internet tab. What does it say? Eg pppoe static etc

azreal -

The Extreme app (both PC and MacOS) have a password to change settings in the app itself and a separate password (WPA2) to access the wireless network.

I also run a guest network, rarely used, with a separate password.

1. Turn the Modem and Airport Extreme off.
  2. Plug the modem into one of your new Velop units.
  3. Turn Velop and Modem on and setup using the app.
  4. Plug the switch into your Velop using the other free port.

Your Wi-Fi and wired infrastructure should now all be setup and working just as if you were using the Airport Extreme (you can also setup a guest network).  Now:

1. Turn on each additional Velop unit where you believe it will have both a strong signal to the base node and will extend the network outward.  Set them up wirelessly!
  2. Once your other two nodes are setup, you can plug these into your wired backbone or let them function wirelessly.

Or if you want the BEST performance, and the location of your computers/wired devices allows it, get a couple of 5-port switches and create a tree:

YasPineapple -

First - thank you for taking the time to diagram out the setup. This will be a great resource for others looking for the answer too.

I really like the tree idea. Since I do intensive audio , video and graphics work the NAS and desktops are in my home office and connected via ethernet cable for best bandwidth and ease the load on WIFI since everyone else in the house is on their phone/ipad almost constantly. Plus someone is watching Netflix one of 3 TVs that are connected wirelessly. I have low-bandwidth items from my office on WIFI (printers, scanners, some aviation feeds, roof-top solar monitoring, etc)

As it is now the 9 surveillence cameras are fed into one PoE switch that outputs to the main switch so there's some performance gains there. These cameras use about 38-40 Mbps just feeding video back to the monitoring software. There's no data fed to one of the NAS (for storage) unless a camera has had a motion trigger. I do have the option of any camera not feeding video *unless* it's triggered and that will be the next step once I get the triggering levels set. Shadows are no fun. I'll get some network saving there, eventually. For now the property can be monitored visually.

It's probably best I keep everything the way it is for simplicity if nothing else. Simplicity in thast I understand it. If I posted a diagram of my network you would choke :-) It's way too complicated. Years of add-ons are coming back to haunt me. I like the VELOP concept and my intent is to improve WIFI in the house without losing any security or flexibility I get from the Extreme. I also know the Extreme is close to end-of-life from Apple so now's the time to do something. I'm rewiring my data cabinet and cleaning things up so this is the time. Why all this detail? So you guys understand how much you helped.

I'll take what you and azreal have given me and just do it. Either it works or doesn't (although I'm sure it will). You guys have been helpful more than you realize and it's deeply appreciated.

Aloha from Hawaii.

MrCourtney

I thought about removing my Airport Extreme from my network but I tried using the velop as a router and it choked and literally broke itself when I put in the 30 or more DHCP reservations I wanted to use. I like things setup for certain IP's because of my home automation configuration so that is why I needed to configure those DHCP reservations. 

I also kept my Airport Extreme in places because the Airport utility app is quicker and easier to manipulate than the Linksys. Now I just use the Velop in bridge mode and hooked the nodes off my Netgear 24 port switch. Everything works pretty well. 

I have the same needs. I'll try your solution and see how it works.

Thanks.

kwm

how did you connect both extreme and velop. i have a lot of nest products connected to extremes and i would like to have velop but dont want to delete all my nest devices so looking to have both.