Constant degradation of signal strength - child nodes

I have had a Velop system since April, and I was so excited to have a system that on set up delivered the same speed at all locations throughout the house.  Unfortunately, over time, I realized that while we had the same signal strength near each node when I set up the system, we had lost strength at the child nodes. Generally, we were able to get back to full strength by using the Channel Finder functionality of the app.  Unfortunately, I determined that the system would need this functionality performed every day - often multiple times a day.  Most recently, I performed this, had full strength and within an hour it had degraded to about a fifth of our incoming speed at two of the nodes.  We receive about 115 mbps and the system degrades routinely to 20-45 mbps at the child nodes.

I live in a residential community where the homes are not overly close together and the amount of electronics we have that generate potentially conflicting signals are minimal.  I have changed out which node is being used as the parent, updated firmware, and tried different numbers of nodes.  We are privileged to have a reasonably large home (6200 square feet) and have tried as few as 2 and as many as 5 nodes.  Absolutely no difference in the issues being experienced regardless of how many nodes we use in the system.  I would call the help line, but the last time I did when I had a defective node, I spend 3 quality hours with my friendly level 1 technician where they insisted I do again all the triaging I had already done to determine the problem, so that they could ensure I did it correctly.  3 hours.  Then I had to speak with Level 2 for a half hour.  All for them to conclude what I had told them from the start.  I can't afford that kind of time, particularly when so much of it was avoidable.

I decided to see if this is truly a Velop issue or perhaps our house/area is just a problem.  I went out and purchased an Orbi system with three nodes.  We had it for a full week and it was great.  I measured speeds frequently during the week and no matter where and when I measured, it was at full strength throughout the house, other than one anomaly that resolved itself within 30 minutes.

This is clearly a Velop issue.  Velop simply cannot maintain full speed at child nodes (the parent is always great) without constant manual running of the Channel Finder functionality.  Not only is it not reasonable to expect us to constantly run this functionality, even it if were, it takes several minutes and takes the Internet connection down for part of that time.

I am pretty much ready to seek reimbursement by Linksys of my system, including through small claims court if need be, as it simply does not do what Linksys claims it will do  "It sets up in minutes and delivers a flawless, ultra-fast, full-strength signal." it says on the website. This is pure misrepresentation.  It is not full-strength and it is not flawless by any stretch.

Any potential solutions?

Highlighted

Re: Constant degradation of signal strength - child nodes

I have this issue happen as well. I have 3 nodes, and one of the child nodes will degrade in speed until I pull the power from it and let it reboot. I have not had to reboot for about a week now. Running channel finder seems to temporarily resolve the issue. Linksys, please fix this!

marshalisms wrote:
I have this issue happen as well. I have 3 nodes, and one of the child nodes will degrade in speed until I pull the power from it and let it reboot. I have not had to reboot for about a week now. Running channel finder seems to temporarily resolve the issue. Linksys, please fix this!

I wonder when the next firmware release will be? It's going on almost 3 months since the last release. Hopefully, they're getting some good work done.

Hello, Marcanat. Allow us to escalate your case to our 2nd Level Support Team so our Escalation Engineers can contact you directly and conduct a further diagnosis. Please email us the following details at LinksysCares@linksys.com:

Full Name
Phone Number
Link to this Community Thread (for our reference)

Pamela - 21733
Linksys Technical Support
ilc

Had 2 nodes and would occasionaly have poor signal at far side of house.  Channel finder would improve this but was a chore to repeat.  Bought 2 more nodes and still have same problem.  Great signal on setup but will degrade every few days and improved with channel finder.  Sounds like same problem and I do not want to spend quality time on phone.  Why can't some form of channel finder be automated if this is indeed the fix?