04-14-2017 03:20 PM
I have a Velop 3-node system. My primary Velop node is connected to a LAN port on a wired (non-wireless) router. The WAN port of the router is connected to Google Fiber. I have preserved the router in my setup to allow other wired connections that do not use the Velop system.
Using SpeedTest.net when connected directly to the Google Fiber connection, I see download and upload speeds of ~800Mbps.
Using SpeedTest.net when directly connected to one of the LAN ports on the router, I also see download and upload speeds of ~800Mbps.
Using SpeedTest.net when connected to the Ethernet port of my primary Velop Node, I see download speeds of ~9Mbps and upload speeds of ~10Mbps!!!! I see similar speeds when connected to Velop over Wifi. I have ensured that Wifi is turned off on my host PC when testing the Ethernet connection on the Velop node.
What would be causing such a dramatic slowdown when connected to the wired ethernet port of the primary Velop node?
04-15-2017 11:09 AM
Do you mean to say that your wireless speeds are the same with your wired connection? Also, what are the workarounds that you've tried to sort this out? We'll take it from there.
04-15-2017 03:12 PM
04-16-2017 08:11 PM - edited 04-16-2017 08:41 PM
What's the operating system on the device that you used to run the speed test? We suggest that you check the network speed on the computer while connected to the modem, router and the Velop and observe. By the way, are you using the same ethernet cable when you check the internet speed from the modem, router and the Velop?
05-01-2017 02:14 PM
Was this every solved? I have the exact same problem. I have FIOS and the cable coming out of the wall i get 100Mbps. Once i connect it to the Velop i get 9Mbps. I have reset my network, there are no special setting. Still 9mbps. Multiple operating systems show the same results.
05-01-2017 02:32 PM
Yes, I did finally resolve this. My problem required several fixes.
The first thing I did was reset my entire Velop system. Once reset, my speeds changed from 9Mbs down and 10Mbs up to approximately 100Mbs both up and down. I'm not sure why it got "locked" to 9Mbs/10Mbs but a reset did fix the problem.
I'm not sure if your Internet connect is higher than 100Mbs or not, but mine is rated for 1Gbs. After my Velop speeds improved to 100Mbs/100Mbs, I needed to determine why it wasn't higher. I figured it must be a wiring issue that supported 100Mbs but not 1Gbps. Sure enough, I found two issues: (1) My patch cable running from the wall to my Velop main hub was either old or damaged and (2) One of the punch-downs in my wiring enclosure linking my 1Gbs service provider connection to my wall jack was loose. I fixed these two issues and am now seeing approximately 480Mbs down and 680Mbp up.