First week - close to greatness, but Bridge Mode issues ...

[ Edited ]

Hi - I'm one week into my Velop ownership, which has had it's up and downs.

The good news ...

After half a day spent setting things up (which was really tough going), I got my desired setup working (almost) brilliantly: 3 nodes in 'bridge mode', connecting to my Asus RT-AC87U router. Amazing wifi speeds around my entire house. I just need reliable mesh wifi and don't need any of the other Velop router features (which is lucky as they're now mostly disabled in bridge mode).

The less good news ...

Today I noticed that one of the nodes was offline. I power-cycled everything, but no use. I reset the node, which then failed to setup correctly (the app set up freezes at 'checking node location' and LED never goes solid blue). I finally took the plunge, deleted the entire setup, went through the whole process again - same problem.

This particular node must have a hardware failure. I suspect that this was also the node that was causing issues during the painful setup process. So the whole system has been RMAd back to Amazon with new system arriving on Monday.

Now I know more about Velop, I should be able to get things set up a lot more quickly next time around.

Aside from the hardware problem - one issue remains and it's a bit of a biggie ...

When the system was working correctly, devices were taking a very long time to get an ip address first time around - and often required many attempts. Not unusual to try 5-10 times before making a successful connection. Once established, the connection was good and was also quick to re-establish. But all the same, this is a pretty catastrophic issue for a premium wifi product - it doesn't allow devices to connect!

I found the likely issue here in other threads. It seems that in Bridge Mode, DHCP is still enabled, which is probably the cause of the problem. I want the Velop to behave like a wireless switch and simply pass ip requests to my Asus router and not get in the way.

A workaround seems to be to assign fixed ip addresses to my devies via my Asus router. This also seems to make first-time connections much quicker too. It works, but is really clunky and unnecessary.

Overall ...

The Velop is so close to being perfect for my needs with excellent wifi coverage and speeds.  I can ignore a (hopefully) one-off hardware issue. The issue with devices having difficulty connecting to wifi in bridge mode is another matter. Please linksys, can you fix this asap, which probably involves fully disabling Velop DHCP when in Bridge Mode and ensuring that the Velop just acts like a wireless switch.

If anyone has any other suggestions on the 'DHCP enabled in Bridge Mode' issue (such as using an undocumented WebUI feature to disable it) - or any other ideas - please let me know.

tks, Andrew.

Re: First week - close to greatness, but Bridge Mode issues ...

vertew wrote:

Hi - I'm one week into my Velop ownership, which has had it's up and downs.

The good news ...

After half a day spent setting things up (which was really tough going), I got my desired setup working (almost) brilliantly: 3 nodes in 'bridge mode', connecting to my Asus RT-AC87U router. Amazing wifi speeds around my entire house. I just need reliable mesh wifi and don't need any of the other Velop router features (which is lucky as they're now mostly disabled in bridge mode).

The less good news ...

Today I noticed that one of the nodes was offline. I power-cycled everything, but no use. I reset the node, which then failed to setup correctly (the app set up freezes at 'checking node location' and LED never goes solid blue). I finally took the plunge, deleted the entire setup, went through the whole process again - same problem.

This particular node must have a hardware failure. I suspect that this was also the node that was causing issues during the painful setup process. So the whole system has been RMAd back to Amazon with new system arriving on Monday.

Now I know more about Velop, I should be able to get things set up a lot more quickly next time around.

Aside from the hardware problem - one issue remains and it's a bit of a biggie ...

When the system was working correctly, devices were taking a very long time to get an ip address first time around - and often required many attempts. Not unusual to try 5-10 times before making a successful connection. Once established, the connection was good and was also quick to re-establish. But all the same, this is a pretty catastrophic issue for a premium wifi product - it doesn't allow devices to connect!

I found the likely issue here in other threads. It seems that in Bridge Mode, DHCP is still enabled, which is probably the cause of the problem. I want the Velop to behave like a wireless switch and simply pass ip requests to my Asus router and not get in the way.

A workaround seems to be to assign fixed ip addresses to my devies via my Asus router. This also seems to make first-time connections much quicker too. It works, but is really clunky and unnecessary.

Overall ...

The Velop is so close to being perfect for my needs with excellent wifi coverage and speeds.  I can ignore a (hopefully) one-off hardware issue. The issue with devices having difficulty connecting to wifi in bridge mode is another matter. Please linksys, can you fix this asap, which probably involves fully disabling Velop DHCP when in Bridge Mode and ensuring that the Velop just acts like a wireless switch.

If anyone has any other suggestions on the 'DHCP enabled in Bridge Mode' issue (such as using an undocumented WebUI feature to disable it) - or any other ideas - please let me know.

tks, Andrew.

I think you should disable DHCP through the web gui and let the router handle it.  That's what I did and things have been quite good.

In bridge mode there is no option to enable \disable the DHCP server in the web UI - the only configurable one is attached to the guest network. (Even then only by enabling \disabling the entire guest network)

In bridge mode a number of clients aren't receiving the DHCPOFFER from the main upstream router and so they revert to a 169.254.x.x , but this isn't a DHCP scope handed out by the Velop - it's a self selected IP address in an effort to enable some form of local L3 connectivity (it's referred to as Private Internet Addressing).

In fact of this is happening a lot of explains why people are getting odd network visibility - the clients that get a real IP address will be able to see the others that also did, but the ones that self-assign 169.254 will only be able to see other 169.254 self-assigned clients.

So as clients bounce in and out of these 2 subnets (based on whether they get a DHCP address or not), it will look like clients are disappearing and reappearing at random (or rather when they disconnect and reconnect to the network each time).

Your right.  My bad (shouldn't speak from poor memory).  In any event, once I went to birdge mode, the Velops have passed the IPs my router has handed out without issues.

Highlighted

You’re right too! ;-). Mine is passing IPs in bridge mode too, but I suspect it’s not without failures as I can see a lot of 169.254 devices in the logs. But hopefully people aren’t confusing this with the Velop still running DHCP in bridge mode.

Hurry up with the next firmware - hopefully that fixes it (without breaking other things)

@ ajknows & rburrows69 ... thanks v much for the replies, really helpful.

Think I did spot some of my network clients with 169. (self issued) ip addresses.  Think I also noticed some devices with other ip addresses possible in the "10." range, which must be coming from DHCP on the velop (which isn't disabled).

My replacement Velop system box is sitting on the floor waiting for me to reinstall, but I'm wondering if I should just call it quits and return for a refind.  Brilliant though it nearly is ........... wow, this ip issue is a killer.

Does anyone -- linksys people included -- know whether this issue is on the dev backlog to be fixed and what the ETA is?

cheers.

FYI ...

I set up the replacement 3-node velop system today and switched it to bridge mode.  The process was smooth as silk ... impressive.  Hopefully an indication that this set of nodes doesn't have a hardware issue.

As part ofthe setup process, I tried disabling DHCP, then enabling bridge mode.  This looked very promising - the velop system restarted in bridge mode with DHCP showing as disabled.  Unfortunately, no devices could connect, but with no internet connection.  Had to switch back to 'DHCP-Auto' mode to re-enable DHCP, then switch back to 'bridge mode' to get a working setup.  I'm not 100% this approach failed - I did get an ISP drop out half way through this process.  Might try it all again.

The various household devices then began re-connecting to the velop wifi - all devices with fixed ip's assigned from the asus router.  The laptops reconnected quickly, but the mobile devices couldn't get ip addresses.  After a few hours (!) everything seems to have finally got its (fixed) ip from the asus router.

As before, once devices have managed to get an ip for the the first time, subsequent reconnections are fast.  Don't know if this condition survives a velop reboot, guess I'll find out at some point.

I'll leave it like this for a few weeks to gauge reliaibility and also to get a feel for whether the need for fixed ip's is too annoying.

Sounds like you are on your way vertew.  I am still quite happy with the Velop.  Hopefully a firmware update will stabilize the bridge mode for everyone an increase its capabilities.  Frankly I love to get rid of one more piece of hardware and go all in on the Velop.  going to wait on that for a while.

Thought I'd drop in a quick update.  I've still got my Velop setup and it's been pretty reliable running in bridge mode.  There have been a few occasions over the last 7 months when a node has dropped a connection, but a power cycle has fixed it.  There's decent wifi coverage and speed throughout my house, which is what I wanted.  Overall, I'm glad I stuck with the setup.

I'll second that, except no dropouts for me.