Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Gave up; listing Velop on Ebay

[ Edited ]

So guys, I finally gave up and am listing my Velop on Ebay.  I got the thee-node system in April 2017 for $449.00.  

I had the same problems with eveyone else of indicator lights that were always showing something incorrect, and that the device connection list always showed devices connected to some other node than they were actually connected to.  Lived with this for a long time, but at least the internet seemed to be working.  

But then I noticed the periodic dropouts/disconnects from Velops.  At periodic intervals, wifi connectivity would be suddenly lost for a few moments.  This happened at some very inconvenient times.  As far as I can tell from reading this forum, this is a known problem that Linksys will not even acknowledge.

So I'm out.  I've gone ahead and installed a Google Wifi three node system, and it works great.  I don't have the option of wired backhaul which I would have liked, but the Velop wouldn't confirm that it was using the wired backhaul anyway.  Just had to guess.  I want a product that works and is actually supported.  The Velop was neither.  How hard would it be to get the device list working?  It was never right.  This is a basic feature, that should be easy to code and implement.

I think I can get half my money back on the sale.  Will never touch a Linksys product again.  

Re: Gave up; listing Velop on Ebay

Hello, dimsdale. If you still have your Velop System with you, let's have your Escalation Engineers look into your case. Please send us an email at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your full name, phone number, location, community username, and the link to this post for reference.

Jo-Ann - 21744
Linksys Technical Support

dimsdale wrote:

So guys, I finally gave up and am listing my Velop on Ebay.  I got the thee-node system in April 2017 for $449.00.  

I had the same problems with eveyone else of indicator lights that were always showing something incorrect, and that the device connection list always showed devices connected to some other node than they were actually connected to.  Lived with this for a long time, but at least the internet seemed to be working.  

But then I noticed the periodic dropouts/disconnects from Velops.  At periodic intervals, wifi connectivity would be suddenly lost for a few moments.  This happened at some very inconvenient times.  As far as I can tell from reading this forum, this is a known problem that Linksys will not even acknowledge.

So I'm out.  I've gone ahead and installed a Google Wifi three node system, and it works great.  I don't have the option of wired backhaul which I would have liked, but the Velop wouldn't confirm that it was using the wired backhaul anyway.  Just had to guess.  I want a product that works and is actually supported.  The Velop was neither.  How hard would it be to get the device list working?  It was never right.  This is a basic feature, that should be easy to code and implement.

I think I can get half my money back on the sale.  Will never touch a Linksys product again.  

How can we mark your statement as a solution?

Slight correction. The Google WiFi supports wired backhaul, and the app interface clearly and correctly shows which nodes are in wired backhaul vs wireless.

The only catch is that, to support wired backhaul,  the primary node has to connect to the ethernet on both its WAN and LAN ports. So practically speaking, you might use a small hub to put the backhaul onto your homes cat5/6, unless you run a dedicated feed between nodes. 

dimsdale wrote:

Slight correction. The Google WiFi supports wired backhaul, and the app interface clearly and correctly shows which nodes are in wired backhaul vs wireless.

The only catch is that, to support wired backhaul,  the primary node has to connect to the ethernet on both its WAN and LAN ports. So practically speaking, you might use a small hub to put the backhaul onto your homes cat5/6, unless you run a dedicated feed between nodes. 

Sounds like google is the way to go!!