Home Sharing iTunes library

I have an issue which is solvable, but stops me utilising the DCHP server in the Velop system.

I utilise Apple TV's and all are linked to my iTunes library running on a mac mini using home-share.

When I first set up Velop and used the DCHP server that is built in, for some reason my apple TV's could not longer see the home share library despite being on the same network.

However, when I put the Velop into bridge mode it worked perfectly.

Is there any chance someone at linksys could look into why this would have been an issue with the built in DCHP server and fix the issue in a future firmware release.

Or does anyone else have a workaround that does not involve bridging and allows the use of the DCHP server with Velop?

Thanks

Neil

Re: Home Sharing iTunes library

In bridge mode the Bonjour multicast is being handled by your router - which means the ATV can see the Mac.

On the Velop (when it’s routing) it *should* work the same,but in my testing it takes some time for the bonjour traffic to propagate. It’s not a good answer but in my testing it’s a bit hit and miss. When the devices are connected to the same node, it works fine - different nodes not so much.

Are your remote nodes wireless or Ethernet connected to the master node? (When you have the Velop Ashe DHCP router)

Thanks for your help - I tried again with a bit more patience and with only 1 node operating but still no luck. Is there a way to force it to work - seems a shame it does not.

The DNS server should automatically register and handle the .local multicast domain for Bonjour. I’d recommend installing ‘Bonjour browser’ from the OSX App Store on the mini and see if you can see the iTunes library traffic type. If you have another Mac handy , i’d also install it on there and see if you can see it remotely.

Hi,

I'm also experiencing a similar issue with the linksys velop.

In September, I upgraded my router from an Airport Extreme to a Velop.  I can't figure out why the velop drops the bonjour protocol and disconnects all my cilent devices from home sharing (i.e. Apple TV, iPad's, and iPhone).

I re attached my airport extreme and everything worked fine again!  After doing further research, I came across some people saying to put the velop in brigde mode.  However, that still did not resolve the issue for me.

I thought maybe the issue is occrring because it's a mesh network.  I decided to try the Netgear Orbi.  The Orbi works great and does not drop the bonjour protocol.  I had it running for 48 hours with no drops.  The Velop would drop after a couple of hours.

I will admit, I do like the coverage that the velop provides more than the Orbi but losing home sharing is a pretty big disadvantage.  This should not be happening on the Velop.

I have called tech support and was told to try changing cables, swap nodes, linking the nodes through ethernet cabling.  I have tried everything and can not get it working.  Could someone at Linksys please help me out?

@JOMA519,

Your case has already been endorsed to our Escalation Engineers for further troubleshooting. A representative will be in touch with you within 24-48 business hours. Please hang tight.

Jo-Ann - 21744
Linksys Technical Support

Thank you Jo-Ann. I am hoping to hear back something soon.

So I have narrowed down my problem. It seems that when my Mac Mini goes to sleep, the Velop shows it as being offline, which is why it can’t wake it up. However, when my MacBook Pro goes to sleep, the Velop shows it is still online and I’m able to wake it up.

For some reason once the Mac Mini is asleep, the Velop decides not to see it anymore, even with wake on LAN enabled.

@Jo-Ann_B - would it be possible to also escalate my issue, while I have a workaround, it does not allow me to use the full capability of the velop system

@westnelly

Hi, there! you can email us at LinksysCares@belkin.com and send the following information so we can have this check with our 2nd Level Support Team:

• Phone Number
  • Location (City/State)
  • Username
  • Link to this thread
Gerard_21724
Linksys Technical Support

Hi Gerard, I will do this. However, I have already called in almost one month ago now. I was told I would be contacted within 48 hours. Never heard anything from Linksys. Last week, Jo-Ann told me someone would be in touch with me soon, also have not heard anything. Not pleased or happy with Linksys support. I expected much better.