How is connection to modem-router handled?

I have an Arris modem-router.  When Velop connects to it, what happens to the router in the Arris unit?  If it's not disabled, does Velop require using a wifi network name than is being supplied by Arris unit?  I assume it would be better to disable the router in the Arris and let the Velop parent node handle all routing.

Re: How is connection to modem-router handled?

Yes, disabling the router in the Arris and setting up the Velop Parent Node as the router with the default App setup would be the most straight forward.

You could just disable the wireless if it exists in the Arris modem-router keeping all the routing functionality there and let the Velop just handle all the wireless in bridge mode (think wired AP), but you would need to setup the Velop first through the app as if it was the router (creating a double nat temporarily) and attach the child nodes and complete setup, and then go into the webpage gui and change it to bridge mode, let it reset and fire back up.

People have had success with that, but the App is definitely not built for that setup option.  If going this route, I would contact Velop support for help if you run into any issues.

[ Edited ]

Loomis1975 wrote:

Yes, disabling the router in the Arris and setting up the Velop Parent Node as the router with the default App setup would be the most straight forward.

You could just disable the wireless if it exists in the Arris modem-router keeping all the routing functionality there and let the Velop just handle all the wireless in bridge mode (think wired AP), but you would need to setup the Velop first through the app as if it was the router (creating a double nat temporarily) and attach the child nodes and complete setup, and then go into the webpage gui and change it to bridge mode, let it reset and fire back up.

People have had success with that, but the App is definitely not built for that setup option.  If going this route, I would contact Velop support for help if you run into any issues.

So when you select that you're setting up the Velop with a modem-router, does it disable its own router?  Or prompt you to turn off the router portion of the modem router? thanks very much for the reply.

No, the app will not put Velop into bridge mode. I am unsure if there any specific prompts dealing with modem/routers. If there are, it is purely informational and does change how it proceeds with setup.
Expert

[ Edited ]

Hi, blink99. During the initial configuration, you'll be asked to select your existing Internet connection setup by selecting the type of modem that you're currently using. To give you an overview of how the device is configured through the Linksys app, click here. Nonetheless, disabling the router functionality of the Arris modem before starting the setup is preferable, too. 

Regards, 

Ethel_10700

Linksys Technical Support 

If I'm already set up using arris cable modem router with wifi disabled on router and set up velop leaving one hard wired to cable router acting as a router. Other 2 nodes around house. Everything appears working great, but got double NAT message first time I used xbox. It eventuall went away, but I wonder if I should disable routing In modem or change cello to bridge? I hate to mess with it as I've been in a networking nightmare last 30 days until I splurged on velop system. Looking for easiest fix to stay efficient without getting into the deep vortex of every adjustment I make impacts another like I've done in past. I like having access using smart app features, so which would keep that and not create more headaches?

I'm entry level at this, but in last 30 days I know a lot more than average guy knowing nothing.. for whatever that's worth...