Highlighted
Accepted Solution

How to tell if your Ethernet Backhaul is working?

Is there a way to determine if the node I just cabled is actually connecting through the Ethernet? In the Velop app, it says its connected to basement main which is my main node connected to my modem but how do I know its not connecting wirelessly?

Expert

Re: How to tell if your Ethernet Backhaul is working?

@wrote:

Is there a way to determine if the node I just cabled is actually connecting through the Ethernet? In the Velop app, it says its connected to basement main which is my main node connected to my modem but how do I know its not connecting wirelessly?

If you want to see what is and isn't showing up as wired go into the mobile app then to Velop Administration and tap on "change velop password and hint," from there set an admin password for the nodes.

After you do that go to the address of your main node and put /systeminfo.cgi at the end like this:

http://192.168.X.X/sysinfo.cgi

where 192.168.x.x. is the IP of the main velop node.

Log into the node using admin as the username and the password you just created. After the webpage fully loads do a page search for "bh_report" and see what you get. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 5.36.30 PM.pngThis is what should show up.  If it's wired it will say and if it's wireless you will see the channel number. What I have found is that sometimes the Parent IP will say "unknown" and I solved that by putting both of the nodes on the same switch instead of one being directly wired into the router and the other into the switch I just put both on the switc hand rebooted everything. 

Those bh_reports are handy on figuring out what is going on with all the nodes. 

Z

@Zoro1, Apparently Linksys noticed the bh connection issue over a switch. Since my master node is a velop, I have no choice but use a switch. Looking forward to the latest update that could solve the bh connection via ethernet(with a switch). 

Thanks, 

tonyboz

[ Edited ]

@Zoro1 wrote:

go to the address of your main node 

where 192.168.x.x. is the IP of the main velop node.

GREAT info... I was actually trying to figure out how to access Velop logs, and sure enough, there they are!

Are there any other useful, otherwise undocumented interfaces into the Velop system?   I'm a new user/admin and while the system seems to be working very well from stability/speed/coverage perspective, the admin interfaces on both the app and the web have far less information and control than any other router I've used.

Excellent info and write up! Thanks!

Very, very helpful and because of this it let me add wired backhaul into my bridged Velop and confirm it was working correctly.  Thank you for this information!

I tried this and got Unauthorized and Forbidden.

Perhaps the new firmware disabled this?

Can anyone verify that it still works with 1.1.2.185309 firmware?

Did you type this in your browser and use the appropriate "admin" user name and password?

Dont forget to replace your IP address with the "X's" above.  Also, the user name is 'admin' and the password is whatever password you set it too.

There are two user accounts for this product.  One allows to access the app, the other is for admin level controls.  In both instances you may have set the password the same, but they are not the same usernames.

Lator

First.. GREAT writeup and thanks for the information. 

Question though... one the Speed section is that accurate?  Mine shows like 138.79 mb, would this be accurate?  What is the max "speed" that it could be, and is there a way to adjust this?

I plugged in the ethernet cable and it now shows:

58EF686CDC58  10.25.1.2        10.25.1.1         eth1  wired              0  230.54200     up

10.25.1.2 is my node

10.25.1.1 is the master

230.542 is the speed

Not sure why it doesnt show 1GB which is the link speed.  

When I was on the Wifi backhaul - it showed 128.XXX approximately.