INFO: Prioritization Gotchas

[ Edited ]

So I've been working with Velop for a couple of weeks now, and todays 'gotcha' was

"how come a speedtest from a wired ethernet client (so no wireless) only gets half the download bandwidth compared to the speedtest run from the router/app?"

I had a single device enabled for device prioritization - more out of curiosity than anything else, but when I disabled the prioritization feature, I was back to getting 100% of the download speed to the wired client.

I suspect that as soon as you enable prioritzation, it enables some form of per-node QOS which means rather than fast-switching the packets, now they all have to get processed through the CPU which limits / degrades the throughput of the router.

So if you're one of the lucky ones like me with say, more than a 150MBps download then you may want to disable prioritization completely to get the full speed for any other clients - unless you absolutely need it.

Re: INFO: Prioritization Gotchas

Hello -- excellent analysis and fully agreed. I see similar capped performance on my non-prioritized devices to the tune of 30% in my casual tests. The router(s) clip the bandwidth regardless of activity on the network. When I last ran a few tests, two of the three prioritized devices were home and neither of those two were active, yet the non-prioritized devices were clipped.

Interestingly enough, I do not see the bandwidth pre-clip on the guest network. I ran a few quick tests comparing the two (with the same non-prioritized device) and saw close to top throughput when on the guest network. I posted this elsewhere with a question about if or when the router(s) eventually cap the guest throughput, or if that is a blind spot in their algorithms.

Expert

Below are some of my standard MP recommendations:

1. Enable Media Prioritization with Downstream Bandwidth set to ISP maximum download speed in mbps * 1024 for kbps
  2. Enable WMM Support (Default)

The trick is that MP needs to be correctly configured once and then enabled and disabled. After that you can decide if MP is needed. This initializes the QOS system properly.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Got it - but from what I can see (1) is calculated automatically based on the speedtest results, and (2) as you say is default anyway.

Point being, enabling this not only prioritizes these devices over others in a QOS egress queing model, it affects the throughput of all other devices too on fast internet connections.  At least thats how it looks today (and yes, I've enabled/disabled it a couple of times)

Expert

rburrows69 wrote:

Got it - but from what I can see (1) is calculated automatically based on the speedtest results, and (2) as you say is default anyway.

Point being, enabling this not only prioritizes these devices over others in a QOS egress queing model, it affects the throughput of all other devices too on fast internet connections.  At least thats how it looks today (and yes, I've enabled/disabled it a couple of times)

I sure hope MP Downstream Bandwidth setting isn't effected by the speedtest because users typically run the speedtest when they are having throughput issues which would put skewed results into that critical operational setting.

Go with the numbers your ISP is suppose to provide or the www.speedtest.net results with a computer directly connected to the ISP modem.  

MP will cap all connection to the Downstream Bandwidth regardless of priority so it is critical Downstream Bandwidth be accurate. With MP properly configured high priority device will get the Downstream Bandwidth and whatever is left is given to he lower priority devices\apps.

Linksys

Well unless you're running it via the web interface, I dont even see a place to enter that bandiwdth information in the mobile app.

In fact the first thing it does when you enable the prioritization is run a speedtest to work the number out for itself.

IMG_1457.PNG

Expert

I did not know that because I haven't played around with the Velop MP. I know how Linksys MP would typically work in detail.

That said do the Velop Speed Test until you get an accurate result for your ISP connection and then leave it Smiley Frustrated Once the WebUI is fully supported then these settings would be adjustable. If you can't wait there are other forum post with instructions on how to get into the WebUI.

Linksys

Ok thanks - but it definfitely seems like enabling this level of QOS limits the throughput of the router (i.e. packet inspection rather than fast-switching) - might just be a limitation of the router hardware in Velop

Agreed -- I think we're talking two different things: how to set or determine the max speed, and how the Velop deals with non-prioritized devices. We currently have no ability to set the max speed, and are dependent on the mobile app for this at the moment (I'm not able to get the back-door web GUI to work, so I am holding out hope for the front or side door someday).

The related topic is what the Velop does to non-priority devices. Rather than wait until needed, it seems to always clip or cap the bandwidth on non-prioritized devices, regardless of how much activity is going on. I get up rather early and have the house to myself for a while, and with pretty much nothing at all happening, my non-prioritized devices are considerably capped.

So... maybe the first half of this goes into the advanced configuration bucket of cool things that we like to do, and the second half of this conversation goes into the expectations we have around what it means to be a prioritized device. As of now it looks like a non-prioritized device has a materially lesser experience than priority devices, even if those are not online or active.

I came across this thread doing some research for an issue I'm having.

I work from home and sometimes need to move to another room in the house. When I'm in that room I have fine connectcitivy, but I'm experiencing poor voice quality on my work voice/UC applications, such as Skype for Business, where in other rooms it works just fine.

So, I went to the Linksys app to look for some options and came across the device prioritization feature.

First of all, this list needs to be improved ASAP - it lists every single device that's ever been connected to the network without any ability to sort or filtler. Plus, many of them have the same device name (e.g. Android or iPhone) with nor further way to identify which device it is. The list should sort automatically by last connected time or something like that so that the user can more easily find the device they want to setup for prioritization.

Back to the request...

Prioritization is poorly documented. What is it prioritizing? How? 

Most importantly, is there any way to prioritize certain types of trafic, e.g. VoIP or other traffic specific to real-time voice appilcations like Skype for Business, WebEx, etc. other business Voice/UC/Conferencing applications (Jabber, GoToMeeting, Spark, Teams, Zoom, etc.?

Or, does DP only ensure that a specific device has more bandwidth available to it than other devices, which may impact voice quality, but doesn't directly address the problem by prioritizing that type of traffic globally on the network across all devices.

Thanks for your help and hope I didn't hijack this topic.