Highlighted

Is it really this bad

I've been struggling for days with setting up Velop in bridge mode, and thought it might just be my bad...

But entering this forum to find some help, just tells me that I'm far from alone with problems.

I bought a 3 node package months ago, and I've had 2 of the nodes running (with a wireless backhaul) for a while as the primary router (with minor stability issues - weekly rebootS). Anyway, you get tired with the lack of features in the router core, and I' therefore wanted to re-employ my old ASUS RT-AC66U again (with Merlin firmware), and use it as the primary router. So how hard could it be to install the 3rd node on a wired connection, and turn the Velop into bridge mode?

It turns out to be almost impossible. The (god forbid it) App is extremely slow when it comes to installing new nodes, and I've tried that at least 40 times now, as it either the installation breaks in the middle, stops responding, or it can't suddenly find my account, or you should have done everything in reverse order, or maybe installed with routing enabled before switching over etc. etc.

There are several reasons to why all of this fails, so I finally managed to start from scratch with all nodes in the same room and factory reset. So I followed the instructions, and installed one by one in a new network - though still not a 100% clean procedure, it finally worked in routing mode - so it was just a matter of swithing it over to bridge mode.

But the fact is, that it doesn't work, even after following all the instructions. As other people has stated many times before and long time ago, DHCP is not working in bridge mode. My node is wired and establishing a connection to the guest network never returns an IP. The non-guest mode works fine. Seems to be a security issue with reaching the DHCP server in guest mode.

Anyway, thats just my story. However, what strikes me is the number of people having problems for so long, and it seems that noting happens from LinkSys side, other than referring to all kinds of instructions and material that won't help.

Do anyone know if there is a solution under way, or should I buy something else and trash this relatively expensive Velop system?

If I have to trash it, I probably won't buy another piece of HW from LinkSys. I think I've done my share of beta testing now...

Sorry LinkSys for the harsh words, but please prioritize you efforts on getting this system to work properly. You are wasting a lot of peoples time, so please just admit if you are about to give up, so we can get on with something else.

Expert

Re: Is it really this bad

[ Edited ]

@Ellestedwrote:

I've been struggling for days with setting up Velop in bridge mode, and thought it might just be my bad...

But entering this forum to find some help, just tells me that I'm far from alone with problems.

I bought a 3 node package months ago, and I've had 2 of the nodes running (with a wireless backhaul) for a while as the primary router (with minor stability issues - weekly rebootS). Anyway, you get tired with the lack of features in the router core, and I' therefore wanted to re-employ my old ASUS RT-AC66U again (with Merlin firmware), and use it as the primary router. So how hard could it be to install the 3rd node on a wired connection, and turn the Velop into bridge mode?

It turns out to be almost impossible. The (god forbid it) App is extremely slow when it comes to installing new nodes, and I've tried that at least 40 times now, as it either the installation breaks in the middle, stops responding, or it can't suddenly find my account, or you should have done everything in reverse order, or maybe installed with routing enabled before switching over etc. etc.

There are several reasons to why all of this fails, so I finally managed to start from scratch with all nodes in the same room and factory reset. So I followed the instructions, and installed one by one in a new network - though still not a 100% clean procedure, it finally worked in routing mode - so it was just a matter of swithing it over to bridge mode.

But the fact is, that it doesn't work, even after following all the instructions. As other people has stated many times before and long time ago, DHCP is not working in bridge mode. My node is wired and establishing a connection to the guest network never returns an IP. The non-guest mode works fine. Seems to be a security issue with reaching the DHCP server in guest mode.

Anyway, thats just my story. However, what strikes me is the number of people having problems for so long, and it seems that noting happens from LinkSys side, other than referring to all kinds of instructions and material that won't help.

Do anyone know if there is a solution under way, or should I buy something else and trash this relatively expensive Velop system?

If I have to trash it, I probably won't buy another piece of HW from LinkSys. I think I've done my share of beta testing now...

Sorry LinkSys for the harsh words, but please prioritize you efforts on getting this system to work properly. You are wasting a lot of peoples time, so please just admit if you are about to give up, so we can get on with something else.

Hi Ellested--

Unlike some of the others on this forum, I've had relatively good success with the Velop system (but it's taken some effort).

I also tried to go down the path of using my existing router and the 7 velops in bridge mode with much the same experience you're having.

However, when I moved one of the velops to be the router and put my existing Linklsys 9500 in bridge mode things improved significantly. Now I almost NEVER have the Master Velop (router) go down and perhaps 1-2 times a month I have one of the remaining 6 velops loose conectivity with the Master velop.

My configuration is as follows:

ISP -> modem -> Velop (master)(router) -> EA9500 (bridge mode) ->Cisco switch -> 6 Velop Slaves (backhaul) -> 40 devices

Also, the performance of the firmware loads is significantly different. What version are you currently using?

I'm trying to help you, and I'm not affiliated with Linksys but just a long time user.

Z

Thanks for your reply Z

I also used Velop as the primary router to begin with, but I missed the features of my ASUS. Besides, there was also some problems with WIFI connectivity, especially if I was in the sweetspot between two routers. Not sure if it's related to my position, but often when I was in between them, it kept reconnecting over and over.

I will not use Velop as my primary router, so I'll have to wait for a FW release, or try find someone who wants to buy it.

Brgds

Expert

@Ellestedwrote:

Thanks for your reply Z

I also used Velop as the primary router to begin with, but I missed the features of my ASUS. Besides, there was also some problems with WIFI connectivity, especially if I was in the sweetspot between two routers. Not sure if it's related to my position, but often when I was in between them, it kept reconnecting over and over.

I will not use Velop as my primary router, so I'll have to wait for a FW release, or try find someone who wants to buy it.

Brgds

Hi--

Are you using two different routers in the same network? Do both give out DHCP addresses?

Z

Hi

Is it really this bad? - Yes, it is

Do anyone know if there is a solution under way, or should I buy something else and trash this relatively expensive Velop system? - No-one has mentioned any sightings of a working formware; in fact several versions have been released and then pulled back within the last few months. Nobody from Linksys engages with the many unhappy users on this forum, other than on the most anodyne level.

Like you, I am an Asus under Merlin user. Not the most modern, nor sophisticated piece of network kit. But at least it doesn't crash every few days and has not - in my experience at least - ever needed a reboot to start working again. 

Sorry not to be any assistance - I share yor pain.

Thanks for sharing :-)

Regarding Merlin:

I actually find it quite interesting that a single person can get the ASUS firmware to run flawlessly forever, while the whole ASUS team haven't managed it over the 2-3 years I've had this router. I've actually struggled a lot with this router in general, as it was unstable and broke down from time to time, even though it was reset every day by a timer. This was actually the reason that I finally began investigating these new options (and not just buiyng another router of the same breed/kind).

I'm the goto guy in the familly when the net is not working (like all other fathers I guess :-)

After I bought the Velop I discovered the Merlin software, and installed it right away. I haven't had a problem since, and now I'm only rebooting it once a week (with the timer). I could probably skip the reboot completely as there are no problems anymore, but it's fine with doing it once a week as it doesn't interfere with anything.

I've now been runing Merlin for a couple of months or so, and I think it's about time for me to put up a donation for this fantastic guy. He has fixed all my goto problems, and I never have to concern the ASUS router again when it comes to network problems. This was also the main reason for getting the ASUS back in my setup. Now I actually have a main router that can be trusted.

What's even more amazing, the Merlin FW has more features than the stock FW has - how crazy is that?

LinkSys should hire him right away, or consult him to get some leads on how to make a system stable.

I guess the Velop hardware is newer and a bit more complex than a standard router - but yes, you are quite right. I am just amazed (and not a little suspicious) that they have got all those positive reviews on Amazon etc.

I actually rebooted my Asus router this afternoon (trying to track down a home automation location issue - which I suspect is actually a function of the Velop wifi hand-off, but I wanted to rule out a router issue). It had been up for 31 days. Says it all really.

You do know that Merlin (at least in my version) includes a self-reboot scheduler function? Under System/Miscellaneous.

Yes, I know about the scheduler, which is what I meant with the timer :-)

It was also available in the ASUS firmware. I think I will try to disable it, just for the sake of finding out how long I can get it running.