Re: LAN Connectivity Drops on Child Node

I purchased a Velop system 8 months ago, and for all of that time I have experienced drop-outs. My family do not find this amusing.

I am not alone - a quick read of this forum will show that this is a common problem, with even "Expert" level posters saying that they regularly need to reset nodes. Tbf the firmware has improved from a very poor state over time, but it s still not usable and there seems to be no prospect of it becoming so any time soon.

If you are within your return window then I strongly suggest you return the Velop and try another product. If you are not then welcome to the Club of Misery.

Expert

@PianSom

Please shoot us an email through Linksyscares@linksys.com so our Escalation Engineers can assist you. Please also include these information on your email:

Full Name
Email Address
Phone Number
Location (City/State)
Link to this post
Devices affected
Current Firmware Version

Coleen_R 21984
Linksys Technical Support

@Coleen_R

I have wasted enough of my life with your Escalation Engineers. Please supply firmware that works.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Update: Still happening. Light is blue the entire time. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Just an update. LAN still dropping while the light remains blue. Quite frustrating when playing video games.

Hi, HyImTim! Best if we can have our Escalation Engineers to look into your case. Please email us at the email address provided above so we can have them assist you further. We'll be looking forward to it. 

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Another update. I think I found the issue. My LAN drops exactly 11:50 PM. Under the router settings I have the DHCP Sever enabled. The client release time is 1440 minutes which is 24 hours. I am going to change the time and see if this affect the LAN drop. I could be entirely wrong since I'm not tech savy when it coems to routers but consider my internet drops every 24hs exact I'm gonna take that gamble and say that's what s causing it. I'll update it once more to confirm

Hey HyImTim....I had this exact behavior, except mine was with a linux NAS hardwired to my child node.  In fact, I would see drop outs every 12 hours on the nose -- thanks to the logging within the NAS I could see it was like clockwork.  I recently updated to 1.1.2.186308 and this problem went away completely.   You can search the forums and find a thread where it was posted....you'll have to manually update the child nodes and then the parent node.

(FWIW, I had another issue that was also fixed by this firmware.  My XBox One was hardwired to a child node and was very slow (30-45 seconds) to connect to the network after powering on or restarting the console.  Since this FW update, this problem disappeared completely.)

[ Edited ]

Hey thanks for the tip I appreciate it. My issue now though is that I am on the current firmware update. Mine says 1.1.2.1.185309. Checking Linksys website, this is there up to date forward. How can I downgrade my firmware then?  Also, I am also having that issue where my wired devices are taking a while to connect to the internet on start up/restart. Both my PC and PS4 are hardwired and they take about 20-30 seconds to connect when booting up.

Well, I think the .186308 firmware is actually newer, but Linksys decided to pull it due to some engineering defect they found.  It must be relatively minor however, as I've not had any issues and there was another thread where other people had good luck with it.  I was about "this" close (that's me holding my fingers very close together) to throwing my velop back in the box due to minor issues I was having and figured it was worth a shot.  After the manual firmware upgrade, i've been rock solid but to be fair, I do not have wired backhaul and that seems to be a common issue regardless of firmware version.

Anyway, you can get the 186308 f/w here:

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/firmware/FW_WHW03_1.1.2.186308_prod.img

Since this f/w hasn't been officially released by Linksys, you need to manually upgrade.  You can probably find better instructions on this forum, but my process was this:

1. Get IP addresses of child nodes from admin web interface.

2. Go to each child node http://192.168.1.xxx/fwupdate.html and authenticate.  Enter your admin password, choose the downloaded image file and choose "update".  You should get some JSON response back that says something like "{result:success}"

3. Repeat for all child nodes.  

4. Update the parent node.

Good luck.