Multiple Problems With Velop System

[ Edited ]

I have had some pretty signficiant issues with my Velop system since I bought and installed it last week.  Here's a rundown of my situation...

My house is about 5500 sq ft, with porches / balconies of an additional 1000 sq ft or so.  It has 3 floors, with a relatively open floor plan on the main and top floors.  The middle floor has four bedrooms and an exercise room, with a hallway, so it is less open.

Initially, I tried an Orbi system with 2 sattelites to go along with the base unit.  After trying to position the sattellites in various places, it was clear that the Orbi wouldn't cut it.  So I bought two 3-unit Velops (bought the 2nd after it was clear one 3-unit system wouldn't be enough), thinking the true mesh network would work better than the hub-and-spoke Orbi sytem.

I have tinkered around with the Velop setup, settling on 2 nodes on the main floor (including the parent), 3 nodes on the 2nd floor, and 1 node on the top floor (which is basically a bonus room).  No child node is more than 20 feet away from another child node or the parent.

During setup, I pretty easily got the blue light for all the child nodes, which made me think it would all be OK.  After a couple days, though, the problems started, including, but not limited to:

1. The child nodes intermittently change from blue to yellow-- back and forth several times in a given day when in the same position as the initial setup as well as when I move them around a little bit.
  2. The range on the child nodes is very limited...I have 100 mbps internet service through Spectrum.  Connection speed goes to near zero from nodes that are in a differeent room, but only 15-20 feet away.
  3. The devices-- iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, etc-- do not connect to the node closest to them, even when the light is blue.
  4. Related to directly above, for devices which move around the house (like an iPhone or iPad), they stay with the node connected to for several minutes before switching.
  5. The Linksys app has a lot of room for improvement.  For one thing, the dashboard is not very dynamic in showing which devices are connected and where they are connected.  For another, the Channel Finder has been close to worthless for me.  And it even sometimes says my network isn't operational, when it clearly is (although to a limited degree).
  6. I won't even go into my dialogue (or lack thereof) with Linksys "support", which has been an endless series of being put on hold and online chats that send me back to the support hotline, where I'm back on hold forever.

There are other issues as well, but they are relatively minor compared with the ones above.  I understand that any wireless technology has limitations and issues, but I feel like I should get better performance after spending over a grand on 2 Velop 3-packs.  I'm not a techie and maybe the problems are do to that, but I do know that what Linksys markets with the Velop and what I have gotten out of it are two different propositions.

I welcome any input from those more tech savvy than I...thanks!

Anonymous

Re: Multiple Problems With Velop System

@merrettem

We highly appreciate the time you made in providing your feedback and observations. We'd like to have our Escalation Engineers work with you to fully optimize the Velop system functionality within your household. With regards to your experience with our Support, we take the utmost pride in providing excellent Customer Service and this is definitely something we need to thoroughly look into.

Please shoot us your contact details (Full name / Phone number / Location) at LinksysCares@linksys.com so we can check your case, update it and have it bumped up to our Engineers.

Thanks, Allen.  I reached out to Linksys Cares yesterday...still haven't heard anything back yet.

I cant agree more...the node's led connected wirelessly to the main node do turn 'yellow' from time to time(even as I'm typing, its been 'yellow' for more then 10mins).. not so mesh reliable isit?
Its takes awhile to switch between nodes..
Coverage is better then my previous setup.
The Wi-Fi app is a disappointment..
its doesn't show the correct number of devices connected ..
shows connected devices as offline..
Was Linksys in a hurry to push out its velop product 1st and tackle the problems later??
Well it seems like it.. and the velop system dont come cheap as well.. For that high price, i do really hope Linksys would rectify the issues with their velop product soon.
The support line seems a long 'on hold' journey as well..
The last linksys product i had years ago(wrt54/g) seems more reliable then the current velop system..hmm

hate to pile on, but want to reiterate how problematic the items from the initial list are from a user perspective (i listed the 3 that i have found most frustrating).

The Velop system is not usable with mobile devices for these reasons.

there have been numerous posts asking for confirmation as to how handoffs occur between nodes, and no answers have been provided.

ive tried to troubleshoot and optimize for 2 months, and to-date, no answers have been provided....

- The range on the child nodes is very limited...I have 100 mbps internet service through Spectrum.  Connection speed goes to near zero from nodes that are in a differeent room, but only 15-20 feet away.

- The devices-- iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, etc-- do not connect to the node closest to them, even when the light is blue.

- Related to directly above, for devices which move around the house (like an iPhone or iPad), they stay with the node connected to for several minutes before switching.

Even when the led is blue..wired connection(on wireless connected node) gets disconnected & then reconnects...its very frustrating..its only abt 15steps away from the main node.

Allen--

Thank you for linking me with Velop customer service.  I have talked to a couple of them already...they have been very nice, but unfortunately not very helpful.  Part of the problem is that it has taken me forever to tell them about all the problems.  If they would read post original post on this thread, I think the conversation would be more productive.

My problems with Velop have persisted and on this day, have been worse than ever.  I am thinking about giving up and going back to more of a wired setup.  Any help you or anyone else at Linksys can provide would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks-- Merrette

Allen--

Thank you for linking me with Velop customer service. I have talked to a couple of them already...they have been very nice, but unfortunately not very helpful. Part of the problem is that it has taken me forever to tell them about all the problems. If they would read post original post on this thread, I think the conversation would be more productive.

My problems with Velop have persisted and on this day, have been worse than ever. I am thinking about giving up and going back to more of a wired setup. Any help you or anyone else at Linksys can provide would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks-- Merrette

@merrettem  im right there with you, and am at my end with the Velop system.

Spent another 3 hours last night troubleshooting (on top of the 30+ hours ive spent already), and still not sure ive got the system working.

My house is similar size, and actually, similar in layout, so we are in similar situation. So will see if there's anything ive done that helps you figure some things out.

A quick question, are any of your nodes connected using ethernet cables?

@belinksys--

I appreciate the reply...Sounds like we're in a similar boat. Hope you can get things figured out-- maybe you can show me the way as I'm not a techie at all.

To answer your question...No, I do not have an ethernet connection to any of my nodes, other than the parent from my cable router.  To make a long story short, our house doesn't have ethernet outlets-- which is crazy, given that it is a new construction. Shame on me for not paying closer attention during construction...

I'm just amazed at how unreliable the whole Velop solution has been...And I'm amused by all the online reviews of the system that fail to mention most of the real world aspects of how this systems works (or doesn't work).

Cheers to you for fighting the good fight...Let's keep in touch on this.

Regards-- Merrette