Highlighted

Network setup questions for Velop

For a home install - I have Gigabit service being installed. The service provider's connection will come through at a central box that is in a closet on the 2nd floor. That same box has the cables connecting to the rest of the house.

The approach I was going to take was put a Gigabit switch at the box to have the Service Provider's feed go into it. Then have one of my open room downstairs connected to the switch. Then feed from that into the main velop. Then install my  second Velop upstairs and go off of the main velop. 

Really the switch is just working as a pass through so that I don't have to have my main Velop in a closet. Any thoughts or holes in what i am thinking ?

Re: Network setup questions for Velop

@Shimoz

Hi there! The setup should be fine as long as the Velop System will be configured successfully. Here's the link to refer. Do keep us posted on how things will go over, so we can then assist you if an issue will arise.

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support
Expert

@Shimozwrote:

For a home install - I have Gigabit service being installed. The service provider's connection will come through at a central box that is in a closet on the 2nd floor. That same box has the cables connecting to the rest of the house.

The approach I was going to take was put a Gigabit switch at the box to have the Service Provider's feed go into it. Then have one of my open room downstairs connected to the switch. Then feed from that into the main velop. Then install my  second Velop upstairs and go off of the main velop. 

Really the switch is just working as a pass through so that I don't have to have my main Velop in a closet. Any thoughts or holes in what i am thinking ?

Hi Shimoz

I'm a little confused regarding your configureation. CAn you provide more detail. For example,

ISP -> Modem ->Velop (master) -> Switch -> Velop Slave(s) (wired)

Is this correct?

Z

Hi Zoro1 - now that you put it that way - I feel silly for my longer explanation. The way I was thinking

ISP -> Switch -> Velop Main -> Velop Secondary

Also @Carl_S - thank you. I will keep you updated. 

Expert

@Shimozwrote:

Hi Zoro1 - now that you put it that way - I feel silly for my longer explanation. The way I was thinking

Hi--

No problem... would the velop main be used as the router?

Z

@Zoro1wrote:

@Shimozwrote:

Hi--

Z

Yes, the velop main would be my router in the way I was thinking of setting up.
Expert

@Shimozwrote:

@Zoro1wrote:

@Shimozwrote:

Hi--

Z

@Shimozwrote:

@Zoro1wrote:

@Shimozwrote:

Hi--

Z

Hi--

Have you though about this configuration?

ISP (modem) ->  Velop Main -> Switch -> Velop Secondary

Z

Zoro - the reason I am not going the route you suggested is that the ISP line comes out at a central box that is in a bedroom closet on the 2nd floor - so I didn't want the signal from there being closed off by the walls to rest of the 2nd floor. 

But, now based on your question - about a modem. Ff at my central box, there is going to be a modem - then I guess don't need a switch. At my current location, with the same ISP, there is no modem, there is just a Cat5 cable connection and I plug my E5250 wifi router in there. I've got  call into the ISP to see what they'll be adding.

If there is a modem, then I can just go:

ISP -> Modem -> Cat6 to some room -> Connect Main Velop -> Secondary Velop. 

I have tried this setup but it does not work for me.  When I connect my main node to the switch it can not connect to the internet.  The only way I have been able to do this is Cable Modem -> Velop -> Switch.  I want to be able to do Cable Modem -> Switch -> Velop.  If you know of a way to make that work let me know.

@hopenovawrote:

I have tried this setup but it does not work for me.  When I connect my main node to the switch it can not connect to the internet.  The only way I have been able to do this is Cable Modem -> Velop -> Switch.  I want to be able to do Cable Modem -> Switch -> Velop.  If you know of a way to make that work let me know.

I ended up with ISP Box connected outside -> Wire into Central box -> Wired to Room -> Velop Main -> Velop secondary

The Velop Main also has an output back to central box which lets me set up a switch to hardwire any other rooms if I want to.