No Connectivity with Cisco IOS switch

Here is an interesting issue:

I recently setup my new Velop two system.  When setting up the first node (master), I plugged it into my Cisco 3550-12T switch and I couldn't get a link light.  The switch doesn't see it at all.  I tried several configurations on the switch port (trunk, various combinations of speed and duplex, etc) but could not get it to connect.  Eventually I plugged the node (master) into another slower, non-Cisco, non-managed switch and it worked fine.  I went back and verified the switch port on my Cisco switch and it checks out.  Other devices connect to it without issues.  

Anyone have any idea why this would be?  Is there a specific config needed to make the Velop connect?  Any help is appreciated.

TheHartzogs.

My configuration:

Internet>>Cisco ISR Router>>Cisco IOS Managed Switch>>Cheap 10/100 switch>>Velop Master>>[ethernet backhaul]>>Velop Node   (Velop is running in Bridge Mode)

Desired configuration:

Internet>>Cisco ISR Router>>Cisco IOS Managed Switch>>Velop Master>>[ethernet backhaul]>>Velop Node   (Velop is running in Bridge Mode)

Re: No Connectivity with Cisco IOS switch

@TheHartzogs

Hi! There's no special configuration needed. Let's sort this one out. Have you tried switching both nodes when plugged into the Cisco Managed Switch? How about using another ethernet cable for further isolating?

Based on your current configuration, do you mean that the nodes were detected when plugged directly to the Non-Cisco switch while eliminating the Cisco Managed switch, or was it the other way around? Also, have you contacted Cisco Support regarding this matter?

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

Carl,

Neither node was detected when plugging into a Cisco managed switch.  I tried several ports on two different switches but couldn't even get a link light.  I tried several cables and even a crossover with no luck.  I plugged my laptop in to those same ports with those same cables (not the crossover) and the ports came up right away.  

When I plugged the Velop nodes into an unmanaged switch (it was a COTS Linksys 5-port switch), both nodes were detected and the switch's link light came on.  Currently, the Node (master) is connected to the LInksys 5-port unmanaged switch which is plugged into the port on the Cisco managed switch. 

I would very much prefer to take the Linksys switch out the configuration.  I have not called Cisco about this as the ports I'm using appear to be working correctly, just not with the Velop product.

Any help is greatly appreciated!  

TheHartzogs

Expert

@TheHartzogswrote:

Carl,

Neither node was detected when plugging into a Cisco managed switch.  I tried several ports on two different switches but couldn't even get a link light.  I tried several cables and even a crossover with no luck.  I plugged my laptop in to those same ports with those same cables (not the crossover) and the ports came up right away.  

When I plugged the Velop nodes into an unmanaged switch (it was a COTS Linksys 5-port switch), both nodes were detected and the switch's link light came on.  Currently, the Node (master) is connected to the LInksys 5-port unmanaged switch which is plugged into the port on the Cisco managed switch. 

I would very much prefer to take the Linksys switch out the configuration.  I have not called Cisco about this as the ports I'm using appear to be working correctly, just not with the Velop product.

Any help is greatly appreciated!  

TheHartzogs

When you connect Velop nodes to a managed switch you must configure the switchport they are connect to as trunk, tagged VLAN3 (guest) and tagged VLAN4 (ipv6).

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

chadster766,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I've already tried setting the port to trunk (dot1q).  I'm not using guest or ipv6 on the network so I wouldn't use VLAN3 or 4.  What surprises me is complete lack of layer 2 connectivity.  Even if trunking is required, it should show a link in access or trunk.  

Really stumped on this one...

TheHartzogs

[ Edited ]

Do you have STP configured on the ports you are connecting to on the Cisco switch?  I believe the Velop is using STP to work out its mesh topology, so the STP on the switch may be putting the ports into blocking mode.

Expert

@rburrows69wrote:

Do you have STP configured on the ports you are connecting to on the Cisco switch?  I believe the Velop is using STP to work out its mesh topology, so the STP on the switch may be putting the ports into blocking mode.

STP would only be an issue if both Velop ports were connected to the same switch which they should be.

AFAIK the Velops use Multicast and MQTT protocol for mesh communications.

Linksys
Expert

@TheHartzogswrote:

What surprises me is complete lack of layer 2 connectivity.

I'm not sure what you mean by this but that would indicate a wiring problem or a blown Velop Ethernet port.

Linksys

There are no STP instances on the switch.  

Lack of layer 2 connectivity means no response from the Velop or the switch when they are connected.  I've checked the wiring end-to-end and it's good.  I tried both port on the Velop and saw the problem on both.  The Velop is currently working  on one of those ports but connected to an unmanaged switch instead of the Cisco switch.