Re: Parental Control Not Working- Google Mesh Router six month review

Greetings,

Wanted to provide a six month review of the google wifi mesh router system I purchased after returing the Linksys Velop.  I purchased the Velop for two reasons, one the parental control feature and two better service throughout my home.  Why did I return the velop and was encouraged by the sales folks at Best Buy to go with google-set up is extremely easy AND the parental controls work.  I tried several recomendations on this forum to fix my linksys velop to no avail - and a lot of FRUSTRATION.  Why did I spend $500.00 for 3 nodes that quite simply did not function as promised. Why should I deal with the headaches of changing system settings just for Parental controls, which "might" work additionally their was zero customer support for a fix(do they even read this thread??).  A major pain.  Set up of the Google router was a breeze - 10 minutes and I was up and running.  The ability to limit my kids has been better then expected aka parental controls work flawlessly.  Once I identifed my childs computer, phone & tablet I created a schedule for access and rest assured when it shuts him off at the scheduled time, he is shut off... :-) This feature alone has made the purchase worth it.  Like all mesh routers I only have one wifi network in my home, gone are the daisy chain networks of the past.  It has been dissappointing to read that there has not been a fix for the the Velop system re parental controls.  My continued recomendation go with google, zero headaches, set up is a peice of cake AND it works.. Smiley Happy  

Cheers and good luck to all.

Thanks Runner1,

After spending $700 for a 4 node Velop system, I'm now at a point where I trash it all and go Google Mesh.  The dozens of hours of family arguing about whether the internet is/is-not on/accessible isn't worth it.  

Linksys has to realize they have a serious problem here in that their products are not delivering the controls as advertised.  I respect that the moderators here have a difficult challenge around this but evidently the remainder of the company is willing to allow the damage to the Linksys brand to continue.

@Linksys - My (many times) sworn oath is to never buy a Linksys product again unless ALL other competitor options are exhausted.  I really feel bad for those less technical than me who could never possibly hope to get their problems solved.

@fisherbrains:

If you have spent the $700.00 my deepest sympathies- Like all parents we beleive our kids to be perfect - most of the time Smiley Wink - however on a rare occasion we have shut down his wifi outside of the established protocol.  It is extremly easy with the google app.  Once you are in the app their is a "shortcut" with a pause icon with his name below it.  I simply push the button and voila' his link to cyber space is no more, amazing what kids will respond to these days.  One other feature I like is the guest wifi function.  Set up was easy too, now when we have company I turn on the guest wifi share a code with them (I can actually text it to them) and their on the internet, once they leave, I turn it off it couldn't be simpler.  I wonder who designed the Velop? Regardless I wish you and everyone who reads this good luck.

Re: Parental Control Not Working

Just bought a two node WHM03 product and having similar issues, setup the blocking and it works for a while and then just allows full access. Even the immediate block doesn't work. Reboot the system and it works again. Haven't established how long before it fails.

Has anyone had a successful resolution to this?

@francisr

Based on this thread there has not been any viable resolution.  If you are within your return window, and parental controls are an important feature for you, then you should return the Linksys router.  Based on some reviews on this thread  (including mine) move to the google mesh router.  Easy set up AND parental controls work.. Save yourself the headache and aggravation... Good Luck..

There have been 62 people with this same problem and there has not been a solution! This doesnt give me much faith in Linksys. I went online with tech support today and after about 20 questions the tech determined that my router was no longer supported and wanted to charge me $29.99 per incident to try to fix my problem. In parting I asked for a generic solution and he suggested to update my firmware. I did this and it said I had the latest update. It is successful in blocking the website www.pandora.com on Internet Explorer, but my son can still access it on Edge, Chrome or Firefox. 

I am wondering how many of you have a newer router than mine which is an AC1750 about 3 years old? I am thinking about purchasing a newer router or paying $5.99 per month for a service provided by my ISP. In seeing so much activity of users with the same issue and no solution, do you think I would buy a Linksys router again?

I wound up buying a koala router to give the kids their own WiFi. Works like a champ. It does everything and more that the Linksys said they did. It has homework mode, time restraints on both homework and regular mode, search filtering for YouTube, google, etc, mass social media blocking, app that takes affect in about 10 seconds, each kid has their own profile (they have their own tablets) so you can set up time/restrictions for each. You can turn on patent mode to go to the app stores and DL stuff then turn it off and they can't get to it. Etc

I have an EA9300 and parental controls were not working.  The fix I received from support is to go to Connectivity and selecting Internet Settings.  Click on IPV6 and choose the Edit button.  Uncheck the IPV6 - Automatic check box and then make the 6rd Tunnel Automatic.  Reboot the router.  This worked for my router and parental controls and schedules work just fine now.  However, Parental Controls on any router will not block access through mobile applications because mobile apps don't use the URLs to connect.  You will need something like Disney Circle or another paid subscription product to block down to a mobile app.

I was told that a firmware update in the future would solve the Parental Control issue but no ETA was given.  So try the above steps and hopefully it will get you up and running for now.

i try the parental control of velop

I found is sufficient for what i use.. the only downside is NOT Instaneous after you request block, i love the parental control of google wifi or Tp-link Deco.. I wish Linksys can copy their Parental Control

If you block m.Facebook.com it will block apps.

At least it goes through android and iPhone, not sure about win 10 devices