Re: Parental Control Not Working

[ Edited ]

so, last night, I decided to do a little testing. I set up a ping from a Macbook to 8.8.8.8 (google). I then tried setting up a schedule, clicking the block access, disable IPV6, and giving the macbook a static IP, and the whole time the ping never stopped. Linksys support called me just now, and wanted to know if I could troubleshoot. I am at work so it will have to be another time, BUT, I told them what I did last night. The tech said that when I enable "block device" I should still be able to ping out, and that it only blocks web traffic by presenting a popup. so, does parental controls ONLY supposed to "block" port 80? I also asked if he had read the 18 PAGES in this post? he would never give me a direct response only saying "Linksys is aware of YOUR problem". After I got off the call, I did a different test, I blocked my remotely accessible Plex server… and guess what, I was able to stream a movie remotely WITH OUT ISSUE!!!

Guys (linksys), your software is BROKEN. it is not working the way ANYBODY thinks it should be working, and this NEEDS to be fixed now.

[ Edited ]

@QuestingHero - Someone just called me as well right as I was driving to work.  They asked "when was a good time to call" and I answered 3pm (PST) where/when I could be home to do troubleshoot.  He answered "that's too late for me - but call back our second level support number <deleted> as we're here 24/7.   Whut?  

I'm going to call them and post my experience as well.  I guess at least it's a good thing that they're calling people but I'm not hopeful they'll be able to help anything but temporarily.  

How did they leave the call with you?

Edit- removed the number from post

[ Edited ]

yup, that is the same number that was given to me, I was hesitant to post the number because the tech said they do not email that number out. the Tech also said to me that he may not be available, so call back anytime and we would start troubleshooting. as of right now, I won't have time to troubleshoot until tomorrow evening, so that is when I will call back.

@fisherbrains, lets light a fire under them and get this fixed.

I've edited out the number and yes lets! :-)

TBH, if they don't fix this soon, I think we should plaster that number everywhere!

Update : Since Jan 29 after disabling the IPV6 , my 2 kids ipads have been working under the parental control blocking the internet 5 days a week , please advise thru here when this issue is fixed and this workaround is removed .

[ Edited ]

they called me back at 4:17pm Eastern for my "scheduled call" (that's what the voice mail said)... except we had agreed to AFTER 5pm Eastern. I called them back and left a voice mail, maybe they will call me back..... Google wifi is looking really tempting.

I gave up on them ever fixing this. It has been way too long. Really annoyed because this feature is why I chose the expensive Linksys Velop. I then spent more money and bought the Fingbox https://www.fing.io/fingbox-network-security-appliance/ It is excellent it does everything the Linksys parental controls are supposed to do and more. And it actually works. AFAIK it works with any router - it uses ARP poisoning to block I think. And it gives excellent visibility of everything connected to your network. Enjoy...

[ Edited ]

Linksys called me back, and after several reboots, we had it working... for less the 24 hours. the next day I needed to block a device and was completely unable to do that. also at that time I could not reboot my wifi due to other things requiring the internet at this time. @Johnetshaw, I too have been looking at other ways of fixing this issue, why did you go with fingbox and not Disney circle?

I wish Everyone would file a complaint with the BBB or some other way. if we just sit passive, Linksys will not fix this issue.

has anybody looked into filing a class action law suit? I feel that we have been putting up with terrible support and work arounds for 8 mo and at this point, we are all entitled to $100 to buy a Disney Circle or fingbox. parental controls are listed on the box, on the website, and this feature DOES NOT WORK.