Re: Parental Control Not Working

Email us instead for an advanced troubleshooting with our Escalation Engineers, guys. Reach out at LinksysCares@linksys.com, and include the link to this post, your phone number, and location.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Kloe-21503
Linksys Technical Support

Very disappointing Linksys.  I'm returning my Velop router package today.  I hoped reading through this thread there would of been a fix, but it appears only disappointment.  Can't believe after months someone in the big chair isn't asking why your profits are tanking

[ Edited ]

@skerescrow

Before you return your Linksys velop, we would like to have our engineers check on it further. Email us and we'll have this sorted. 

Please include your username on your email for easy references. 

Ces-21490

[ Edited ]

I am so furious with this pathetic company!  I have waited almost 2 weeks working with tech support.  I was supposed to be called by an "engineer" today.  Instead I wasted my time waiting around.  Not only are their products horrible their tech support is horrible as well.  It's bad enough you sell a product that does not work but then you make your customers wait several days for support making them wait then standing them up and not calling at a set time several days previous.  I'm sure they are just stalling because they have no idea what is wrong with their own product.

P.S.- NOT EVEN THEIR WEBSITE WORKS PROPERLY.  I'M LOGGED IN BUT HAD TO USE ANOTHER USERNAME!?!?!?  MY ORIGINAL USERNAME WAS JACE808 AS PREVIOUSLY POSTED IN THIS THREAD.

DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM LINKSYS YOU WILL REGRET IT!

[ Edited ]

The solution that worked for me...

For the devices that I want to block via Parental Controls, I reserved the DHCP address in the network map. Also, keep in mind that some devices buffer video into memory so turning on the parental control may take a few minutes for the device to "empty the buffer".

If this seems to be a common solution, Linkysys needs to add a procedure to their software to automatically reserve the DHCP for the device when it is added to the Parental Control list.

I'm having the same problem, running Velop, 2 nodes, firmware 1.1.2.181801. Parental controls don't block access to anything from what I can tell.

Return your Velop. I find it interesting that their canned response is: "lets escalate you to our tier two team"....  Linksys admit that parental control functions do not work with linksys routers instead of giving super complicated instructions that may work - although it appears that they have not worked for anyone- and move on.  People will respect the company more if your honest.  I switched to the google system, it was cheaper($200 less then the velop)  and it's parental control features work with a simple push of a button as well as setting time limits for certain devices, very easy.  I wish that the Velop did work as promised initially when I purchased it fortunately I was able to return it and receive a full refund. Good Luck to all..

Have you tried performing the suggested workarounds on this thread, devinandliz? If they didn't work, don't hesitate to email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com; attach the link to this post, your phone number, and location.

Kloe-21503

[ Edited ]

I also have issues with parental control on my ea8300 (1.1.2.181302). Every night when parental control kicks in, I see in the app the devices are blocked, but they are actually not blocked. I have to reboot the router in order for parental control to ACTUALLY block the devices.

I see a lot about turning IPv6 off. How do I do that?

Having the same issue as everyone else on this thread. Tried many experiments today to get this working. Parental controls just don't work. Have owned many routers over the years and there should be no tricks to disabling a MAC or IP address from having access to the LAN or the WAN. Parental controls should be a mundane engineering solution at this point but oddly remain a challange for the Velop.

I am very pleased with the Velop's speed and ability to bring coverage to my entire home - kudos for that accomplishment and I'm enjoying the 200Mbs wifi anywhere. However, the advertised ease of parental controls was the selling point for me with this $500 system and clearly parental controls are an epic fail.

I'm dissapointed to see linksys has allowed to this continue past a few weeks; so, I'm inclined to believe they have a fundamental hardware issue firmware can not resolve. Best solution for Linksys, use customer service to direct customers down fruitless solution paths. Best solution for customers, return it before you can not.

If customer support has an actual solution and date when a fix will be pushed I'm open to consider keeping it - I've got 10 days before amazon won't accept it back.

No DLCP tricks, no reboots, no situational exceptions, no turning off performance optimizations, no "please contact support" message. Just tell me what you messed up and when you will fix it so I can make an informed decision.

J.Cagle