Re: Problem with obtaining IP address

I've been unable to resolve this problem. Tier 3 support couldn't replicate it so it's probably not going to be solved easily. They asked me to contact my routers support team.
Anonymous

@nmac

Your network environment differs from the others. In your case, we'd like to have our Escalation Engineers look into this further so that they can work with you and try to aim for a resolution.

Please send us the following details at LinksysCares@linksys.com for us to create a case and have it bumped up to our Engineers:

• Phone number
  • Link to this post (Reference)

Similar issue here.  No valid IP on mobile device.  Laptop connected okay but no internet.  Background:

I just set up a four pack.  Initial setup and pairing went okay.  First three were good but during the fourth the app froze and it took a few reboots of the app and resets of the last node to get it paired.  Eventually sorted.  Connected it to the internet and it all worked as advertised.  

However, I was only connecting it to the internet because I needed to update the firmware to get the ability to use bridge mode.  I wasn't prepared to wait for the automatic update to realise there was new firmware (how about a check for new firmware button in the app please linksys).  That took a call to support to work out how to access the web UI.  Updated firmware, selected bridge mode.

Connected a cable from the router to the parent node.  The LED went blue suggesting it had internet.  However, my laptop connected said connected but no internet.  My mobile failed to connect; no valid IP.  So I connected the laptop via ethernet, logged back into the web UI and noticed the DHCP was still enabled.  Disabled that and voila!  The laptop and the phone connected.

Then connected to each of the nodes one by one via the web UI and noticed that DHCP seemed to still be enabled on all of them.  So disabled that on each one.  My friend was able to connect to one of the nodes with his iphone no problem.  I still had trouble obtaining an IP on my Samsung on one of the other nodes so I went into advanced settings in the phone and gave it a static IP, and it's been good since then.

So all said and done I've got to say that the setup was not very smooth.  The issues I've corrected would be beyond the average consumer without lots of tech support.  Dont get me wrong, tech support was great when I spoke to them - but I think I should have been able to at least get to the first step without multiple reboots of app and resets of hardware.  And a firmware update shouldn't really require a call to tech support.  And I'm not really happy about having to set a static IP on my phone to acheive access.

Anyway, I'm all go for now.  But I've got the fourth node yet to place in the next apartment and a couple more people to join the network so it'll be interesting to see if I have any more niggles.  Will update if so.

Update: I reset the connection on my Samsung mobile to remove the static IP and allow the system to assign a new one. Reconnected and it's been working fine.

The fourth node has been deployed and the new guy had no problems connecting his android phone or macbook. So far so good.

[ Edited ]

I am experiencing several issues using the Velop in bridge mode.

1. Obtaining an IP address when joining the Velop wifi takes about 5 minutes. The android tablet shows "Obtaining IP adress" and my Mac and iPhone show no internet connection for the 5 minute or so.

2. The android tablet has drop an IP address and had to re-obtain one once.

3. Devices on the Velop network will not see devices on the wireless router 2.4Ghz.

4. Chromecasts will not join the Velop wifi. (I'm assuming it times out before an IP is obtained.)

5. The devices on the velop can only see Chromecast 3 (5Ghz).

Devices:

Linksys WRT1900AC (Provides a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)

Linksys Velop 2 Nodes (Firmware 1.1.1.180735)

Windows 10 PC (5Ghz)

MacBook Pro (Velop Wifi)

iPhone 6S (Velop Wifi)

Google Nexus 7 (Velop Wifi)

Chomecast 1 (2.4Ghz)

Chomecast 2 (2.4Ghz)

Chomecast 3 (5Ghz)

I made an assumption that the Velop system would just act like a unmanaged switch while in bridge mode.  My setup here is so simple that I am surprised these issues haven't shown up in a lab.

What I expect:

1. All devices would connect to the Velop network within seconds.

2. All devices would see all other devices on the network regardless of connection method: Wired router, 2.4, 5, and Velop.

Is this not what I should expect?

EDIT: I also have a Wifi printer connected to the 2.4ghz. To add to my confusion, the MacBook on the Velop can print to the printer.

Appreciate the details, Brian_Duguid. Email this to us at LinksysCares@linksys.com, along with your phone number and location, so that our Escalation Engineers can explain further your concern over the phone.

Kloe-21503
Linksys Technical Support

I started getting this too now. Worked fine for 3 days or so, but once I switched to bridge mode, devices take 2 to 3 minutes to get an IP. Checking my fios routers dhcp logs, it's clearly offering an IP immediately, and it looks like it gets the request and replies numerous times, but the reply doesn't make it back to the device via velop for several minutes. Eventually it does but it's annoying.

If you'd like to get in to more details, do email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com, edrock200.

Kloe-21503
Linksys Technical Support

Thanks. Will do when I have some cycles to dedicate. For now I added a second DHCP server to the lab and split the scope in half. First half assigned to routers dhcp server second half of scope to servers dhcp server. Not a fix but mitigated it for now. I'll revert it to stock then shoot you guys an email with the logs. Fwiw the issue seems to occur when a device has been disconnected for a extended period of time and tries to reconnect. But I can reproduce it by forcing the channel scan function on the velop. When that cycle completes, the 3m dhcp issue occurs. It's almost as if the velop is applying QoS to the dhcp request or converting broadcast arp to unicast.

Has anyone found a fix for this?  I am working with Linksys engineering to figure this out.  They are working diligently, but we're not making any progress in my setup.  I normally would have given up by now, but with the willingness of Linksys to resolve the issue and my time spent, I feel invested.  Also, the performance when it is working has gotten me hooked.