Re: Problem with obtaining IP address

I tested it with several routers and had the same problems. I have 3 nodes tucked into boxes ... a big waste of money and time

I have been using the beta firmware from a couple months ago without any issue for a long time. I am scared to update.

I called tech support a month ago and got a very knowledgeable person who helped me.  THIS IS THE SOLUTION TO RUNNING IN BRIDGE MODE WITH ETHERNET BACKHAUL.

THe primary/first node gets connected to your home network in bridge mode.  From the second ethernet port on the primary node, connect to a dedicated hub/switch.  Then every other node needs to be connected to that same hub/switch.  If you connect the other nodes into your main network, it won't work.

I bought a cheap 6port switch to interconnedt the nodes and have been running for a month without any problem.

2 questions

1. Is it known issue that all nodes shall be on a separate switch for this to work? If it is then why they are wasting our times on useless "troubleshooting" and "resets" for hours

2. How did you manage to connect to second swtich all nodes if they are all in different locations in your house. My wall jacks are already connected to existing switch and only 1 jack is available in every room for example.

that's fine if you have 2 wires throughout the house. the most common is 1 cable. When you buy this system so expensive do not specify that you have to have 2 separate networks in your house and still the dhcp of the velop can give you faults in your network. Fix the beta firmware have to do a nat to access from wireless to wired network?

How nodes will be able to communicate with each other with no IPs on second switch or Main node will provide bridging for them to get those from main router?

i can only tell you this is what works.  My wires all go to the basement so i just needed to unplug them from the network and into my new switch.

If what you are saying is accurate, then the velop is not properly bridging both ports on to the same vlan. Mine is setup with wired backhaul and one cable to each. But for whatever reason adding a DHCP server on a windows box solved, or rather mitigated, the DHCP issues for me which would seem to negate the theory that they are not bridged properly. It's not ideal but it will work for now. I ended up splitting the scope down the middle, half on my PC's DHCP server and half on my routers. This way if the PC crashes or is turned off the router can still hand out ip's, although with the delay issue if only the router is operational.

Actually, thinking about this more, it's possible that the primary node is still treating the ports differently even in bridge mode. If correct, keeping router to velop on port 1, and everything else (to include secondary nodes) on port 2 would resolve this issue. Does everyone on this thread have their primary node attached via one cable to a switch in bridge mode?

[ Edited ]

I went and try to sort out my velop again this time around I just put the velop in DHCP mode and route all the nodes into a simple separate switch isolated from other LAN in which the primary switch acts as the DHCP server. It works wonderfully, so logically speaking, I agree. I think there's something wrong with the slave nodes not responding to the change to the bridge mode that happens with the primary node.

my topology is as follows

Cable modem -----> Asus RT AC68U (acts as DHCP) ----> My computer

-----> Switch for LAN ----> other computers, printers, etc in my house

-----> Velop primary (DHCP mode) ----> switch ----> Velop slaves

I know it sounds kinda dumb but I don't need to connect my wireless stuff to the wired, so for now that will do.