Re: Problem with obtaining IP address

I tried to put router to velop in port 1 and then the 2nd port to the switch as bridge mode. It refused to work for some reason.

[ Edited ]

Erasethefraser:
According to a previous poster, your setup now should fully support bridge mode with DHCP only running on your Asus router. If you can try it out, let us know. I will test mine this way but can't until two moca adapters arrive this week. Since my secondary nodes are attached via moca adapters, which then connect back via the routers built in moca interface, I presently cannot connect them to the primary nodes second port as the router will not allow isolating the moca path onto its own port. Once the moca adapters arrive I can move them over and off the routers moca interface since I have nothing else moca attached in the house.

Same issue.

Velop is causing issues when in Bridge Mode with ethernet back haul.

My network

Modem > Linksys Router > Switch > a single Velop in Bridge Mode connected via ethernet.

I want to be able to use it as a dumb WAP, it's nearly there but it has this annoying DHCP(?) issue.

If you only have one node that rules out the "port isolation" or backhaul causing DHCP issues theory.

After finally getting these things into Bridge mode, I find that I've got the same problem with the units not passing DHCP requests through to the DHCP-issuing router that sits just behind the cable modem.  

Would be great if Linksys would get its act together and fix their firmware.

same problem here with Velop as a bridge.

Cannot  beleive this thread is still active and the problem still haven't been fixed sicne May2017. 

What I tried

1) Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Velop (1st node) (all in wire connections)  then wireless to Velop node 2 and 3.

Result: no single time successfully to obtain IP.

2) Modem -> Router -> Velop (1st node) (all in wire connections) then wireless to Velop node 2 and 3.

Result: Sometimes, it is able to obtain but would take a bit longer time as usual. And somethimes, it would suddenly disconnect and cannot obtain IP; and dont know when it would be resumed, just gonna keep trying until it suddenly works again, so weird.

BTW, I found that devices, that I assigned a fixed IP, would get connection.

I have to keep my router as primary for some reasons, so Velop have to be a brigde; if it can't be fixed, I beleive I have to return them before the return closing window. 

Expert

earlyfai wrote:

same problem here with Velop as a bridge.

Cannot  beleive this thread is still active and the problem still haven't been fixed sicne May2017. 

What I tried

1) Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Velop (1st node) (all in wire connections)  then wireless to Velop node 2 and 3.

Result: no single time successfully to obtain IP.

2) Modem -> Router -> Velop (1st node) (all in wire connections) then wireless to Velop node 2 and 3.

Result: Sometimes, it is able to obtain but would take a bit longer time as usual. And somethimes, it would suddenly disconnect and cannot obtain IP; and dont know when it would be resumed, just gonna keep trying until it suddenly works again, so weird.

BTW, I found that devices, that I assigned a fixed IP, would get connection.

I have to keep my router as primary for some reasons, so Velop have to be a brigde; if it can't be fixed, I beleive I have to return them before the return closing window. 

Hi --

I never had much luck keeping my EA9500 as the router. When I configured a Velop as the master (i.e., router) it worked much better. Am now using the EA9500 as a bridge.

Z

I have my velop in bridge mode connected to a firewall which acts as my DHCP server. I have been getting the failed to obtain ip issue as well and was able to resolve it by adding a static route to my firewall routers route settings from the velop ip to the firewall routers ip. Hopefully, this helps someone.

marcocoffee wrote:

I have my velop in bridge mode connected to a firewall which acts as my DHCP server. I have been getting the failed to obtain ip issue as well and was able to resolve it by adding a static route to my firewall routers route settings from the velop ip to the firewall routers ip. Hopefully, this helps someone.

They are on the same subnet why do you need static route there?

This thread is essentially the same as the one I started last week here - should have spotted it.

There's a post above about this issue being around since May, which seems to be the case looking at the date of the OP's first post.

Given that such a serious issue hasn't been fixed after 7 months, then either: (a) the fix is just too expensive or, (b) the velop bug list is huge and linksys don't regard this as a high enough priiority due (perhaps) to the small number of people who are operating the Velop in 'bidge mode'.

Either way - after 7 months ... a fix anytime soon seems very unlikely.

So can this issue be lived with?

As others have said - it's possible to get a functional system (where devices connect quickly and get an IP address) by assigning static IPs, the questions is whether I can put up with that as a long term proposiiton.  I'll have to decide before the amazon return window expires.

And ... how on earth did this not get spotted in testing?  As far as I can see, 'bridge mode' doesn't actually work.  Potentially a magnificent product.  Such a shame.

tks.