Re: Problems with new firmware 1.1.2.184933

WTH Linksys, you’ve killed my home network with this firmware update. I’m on the other side of the planet and all of a sudden I get a call from my partner to say our network was down along with all our smart home tech. Unplugged all the Velops and all was working again, then discovered this forum and contacted amazon to send back the 4 nodes we have bought for a refund. Unreliable kit, going back to using AirPort Extreme’s even if they are not as fast....

I too moved from 3 x Airport Extremes to 3 x Velop and it was 24 hours of hell. Because I had never used Velop before I didn't know if the issues were down to me. Luckily I worked out pretty quickly what the issues were and glad it wasn't me.

There are actually two issues that I have uncovered and because I had a brand new set the first one is probably not well know.
1. When you install the first Parent node the set up is fine but then forces a firmware update. Then you are stuck because that new firmware then stops child nodes with the old firmware getting added. The App gets stuck at the Checking Node location and Spped routine. Only solution is to set up each node as a Parent, update the firmware, reset each and then start again. Imagine how long that took for me on Day 1 of my kit.
2. I actually registered on this forum to ask about the issues I was facing with the Ethernet backhaul. I fully expected to be shot down like every newbie to a forum by people telling me I was doing it wrong. But I was pleasantly surprised that I had uncovered a nasty bug. This forum has actually been helpful and allowed me rollback the firmware to a version I had never seen before and now everything works. The issue here is that even while all the WiFi clients get thrown out the WiFi signal is strong and all the nodes are a solid blue. I found that in my 3 pack, I just had to disconnect one child from the Ethernet to get things working.

Couple of things that I noticed. In network jargons.....

1) On my managed switches, they are detected a loop issue and automatcially disabling the ports that the Velops nodes are connecting to. I will have to go into the managed switched to disable loop detections to stop this happening. Bad.

2) On my Netgear GS724T switch, where the main Velop node is connected, if I enable DOS-attack detection, the port that the Velop main nodes will always get disabled due to DOS detection. VERY BAD.

3) I am also seeing the Velop Nodes sending out lots of STP BDPU. Don't know if this is good or bad. But most of current gen giga switches are defaulting to use RSTP instead of STP. Why are the Velops using STP instead of RSTP with its gigabit interfaces......

All in all, the switches reporting a network loop issue and DOS issues with the Velop Nodes are not boding well for my confidence in them as a wireless component of my exisiting wired network!!!!! Can someone from Linksys at least explain what are wrong with the Velop nodes and give us some ETA for fixes!!!!!

Also, in the switch that my velop is connected to, I had to disable STP for the port that the velop is on, and also disable BDPU forwarding from that port to stablize my network......
Highlighted
Administrator

mlaihk wrote:
Couple of things that I noticed. In network jargons.....

1) On my managed switches, they are detected a loop issue and automatcially disabling the ports that the Velops nodes are connecting to. I will have to go into the managed switched to disable loop detections to stop this happening. Bad.

2) On my Netgear GS724T switch, where the main Velop node is connected, if I enable DOS-attack detection, the port that the Velop main nodes will always get disabled due to DOS detection. VERY BAD.

3) I am also seeing the Velop Nodes sending out lots of STP BDPU. Don't know if this is good or bad. But most of current gen giga switches are defaulting to use RSTP instead of STP. Why are the Velops using STP instead of RSTP with its gigabit interfaces......

All in all, the switches reporting a network loop issue and DOS issues with the Velop Nodes are not boding well for my confidence in them as a wireless component of my exisiting wired network!!!!! Can someone from Linksys at least explain what are wrong with the Velop nodes and give us some ETA for fixes!!!!!

Thanks for the additional detail here mlaihk have already shot this over to our engineering team.

Can you more fully describe the process for rolling back the firmware? 

Can I do it using a computer or do I need to use a smartphone?

Thanks.

I'm perhaps the only one to be happy with this new firmware version.
I have 4 nodes in Bridge mode and with the previous version I was losing my Internet connection and the network was unusable.
I had to disconnect my 4th node so to make it work.
With the new firmware my 4 nodes work perfectly and I didn't observe any behavior since the upgrade.

With the new firmware my 4 nodes work perfectly and I didn't observe any BAD behavior since the upgrade.

Administrator

Hi Davron,

Glad to hear it. The issues seem to only impact people that are doing wired back connections between their nodes, or are running in bridge mode ith certain hardware devices upstream. If all is well with your setup since the upgrade i would recommend going into your app, or into the web UI and disabling the auto update feature. We will more than likely be rolling back our firmware sometime today until we can isolate all of the issues, but if all is working well. You can disable the updates for now to prevent a downgrade when it is enabled on our servers.