Question about pinging across ethernet connections on a child node

A quick question....if I have two devices, both connected via ethernet to the same child node, does that traffic ever traverse back to the parent node?  Or does that traffic stay completely local to the child node?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense....I'm crosseyed from trying to troubleshoot an issue with a device on this child node.  Smiley Happy

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Question about pinging across ethernet connections on a child node

do you have an additional switch in your architecture? Just trying to understand your network layout. Also if you give some more details on the issue you are having maybe someone on here can assist.

Thanks for the response.

No, I don't have any other switches in my architecture...just three Velop nodes.

1:  Office:  Master node on one side of the main floor, located where cable modem service is.

2:  Living Room:  Child node on other side of house (still in range of Office node), for TV, XBox, etc.

3:  Basement:  Child node in basement, centrally located.  NAS Device connected via ethernet.

All LEDs show solid Blue, indicating good connection.

The issue I'm having is that I have a NAS device, connected via eithernet to the Basement node.  I see packet loss (anywhere from 5-20%) from time to time to/from the NAS.  I'm trying to figure out if it's the NAS itself, or whether the basement node is poorly connected. 

To troubleshoot, I connected a laptop to the Basement node via ethernet, and started pinging the NAS.  I still saw the packet loss, which prompted my initial question.  (My point being, if the packets stayed local to the Velop and I stil saw the packet loss, perhaps it meant my NAS was the issue...if the packets always go back to the root node, then my test is invalid, and perhpas my basement node is poorly conneced).

If it helps, here's my bh_report, but it doesn't mean much to me.  192.168.1.31 is my basement node.

bh_report
  Node (MAC)  NODE IP          PARENT IP        Chan.  RSSI(AP/STA)      Speed  State
------------  ---------------  ---------------  -----  ------------  ---------  -----
14918282254C  192.168.1.31     192.168.1.1        149       -60/-48  142.81600     up
14918282255E  192.168.1.49     192.168.1.1         44       -63/-60  120.37400     up

Hmm.. have you performed a trace route or a tcp dump on that interface?
Highlighted

Also have you went into the web GUI for the basement node? If not, I highly recommend you do and see how the setup is on that node.. if you're not sure how to get to it, type in the IP of the node and click on the image of the phones or right around it. This should bring up local admin access.. put in the password for the velops. (It can be changed in the app to whatever you want.) Then at the bottom of the page you will see a CA link, click that and you're into the web GUI of that device.
Expert

I believe that the Ethernet ports are separate adapters not switch ports which could account for this.

I will test and report back.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Well, I think I found the source of the issue....seems like Plex, running on my NAS, has some issues with UPnP.  Once I stopped Plex, the dropped packets to my NAS device stopped.  Weird problem, but apparently several other folks have had this issue as well.  I guess my old router must've had UPnP disabled, and Velop has it on by default.

Thanks for everyone's help. 

Are you still able to stream from your plex server?  I thought Plex used/needed UPnP... 

Yeah, i just setup static port forwarding within Plex and on the Velop...