Red light on all nodes. Wifi still works

Yesterday I noticed all my Velop nodes have red lights, but the internet still works.  There is nothing in the app which shows anything wrong.  Tech support was useless in helping me figure out what is wong, just telling me to umplug nodes, unplug cable modem etc.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Expert

Re: Red light on all nodes. Wifi still works

It's a known issue and Linksys engineering is working on the LED issue. I thinks it's safe to ignore the LED when everything is working.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

yes - I've seen this before.  I believe its a problem with the DNS server (either locally or the config its getting from the ISP) resulting in whatever 'test' the Velop uses to validate internet connectivity is failing.

Any of the Linksys guys know how the Velop verifies connection to the internet? It doesnt look like something as simple as it has an IP address from the modem.

Administrator

rburrows69 wrote:

yes - I've seen this before.  I believe its a problem with the DNS server (either locally or the config its getting from the ISP) resulting in whatever 'test' the Velop uses to validate internet connectivity is failing.

Any of the Linksys guys know how the Velop verifies connection to the internet? It doesnt look like something as simple as it has an IP address from the modem.

We are hoping this issue should be resolved in the next firmware release. It is purely a cosmetic issue at this point though. Actual point of failure is more related to timing of the system checks for internet as opposed to a failure. For testing connectivity we do a few tests to determine if the connection is up. One tests DNS while the others do pings directly to the IP of several top level DNS servers to validate connection. For those of you that have been navigating into the sysinfo you can see the details about halfway through the log.

[ Edited ]

My main node connected to the cable modem is blue, the other two are red, but Net Analyzer is showing a strong signal everywhere and the Linksys app is showing that I'm not connected to the Internet but my devices are connected.  Puzzling.

Administrator

CWTrooper wrote:

My main node connected to the cable modem is blue, the other two are red, but Net Analyzer is showing a strong signal everywhere and the Linksys app is showing that I'm not connected to the Internet but my devices are connected.  Puzzling.

Hi CWTrooper,

We did have had reports about the red light issues on the nodes that have been working fine. Thanks to the help of some of our community members we think we found the root cause of the issue. A new firmware will be coming out either later tonight or tomorrow evening, that we hope will address it. If after the update you are still seeing the issue let us know.

After searching for a solution to this "red light" problem on Amazon, from reviewers, I found a solution:  I pulled the power plug from my cable modem, let it sit without power for maybe 20 seconds, then pluged it back in to restart it.  Problem solved!  All my node lights are now blue.  This seems to indicate the problem was with my ISP and not this product.  Also, the Linksys app now correctly shows that I am connected to my network.  Hope this helps you also.

In setup, I had solid blue for about 30 seconds, then solid red on all 3 nodes.  Strangely, wired and wireless internet worked fine.

I factory reset my cable modem, unplugged it, plugged it back in, then factory reset EACH Velop node and went back through setup.  A hassle, but I've had solid blue on each Velop node for about a day so far.

The Linksys tech support person told me solid red meant no internet (which was not true in my case) OR that the Velop was in bridge mode, but these were straight out of a sealed box.

Could be the initial firmware version out of the box (being slightly older and there were a number of setup issues) - like you though I had to set them up 2 or 3 times initially before I got solid connectivity.  Thankfully I havent had to reset everything since the new firmware became available.

Hi - as a quick reference point, I too had encountered the red status lights with ethernet child backhaul (rather than wifi backhaul for the child nodes). For me the Velop was getting decent coverage and capability using the wifi backhaul and I had just wanted to use my in-home ethernet since it's already there. But after I went back to wifi child backhaul, it's been fine with blue status. This may have been fixed in the latest firmware, but for me it's working fine enough with the wifi backhaul so I haven't gone back to test the ethernet backhaul again.