Refurbished Velop System - Working or not?

Hi all, 

I bought a refurbished Velop mesh system off the Linksys Ebay page about 3 weeks ago. Got it all set up, things working correctly, etc. This is going to be a noob question because I haven't had a lot of experience with these, but I am unsure if the system is failing or if it's my ISP. 

Two mornings in a row I woke up and had a notification on my phone at 5 AM that the Velop system was down and offline. I went into the office where the modem and main node are, and noticed the light was red. I unplugged both the modem and the main node and reset them both, and internet would come right back after doing that (and light would be blue). Like I said, this happened two mornings in a row already in the 3 weeks I've had it. 

Also, I've had the internet just randomly appear to go out on me at certain times... I check my Linksys app and it says my system is online, yet I can't get any webpage to load. Then, the linksys app says "Your internet is working, but our cloud system is not." and then I end up resetting everything again in order to have the ability to sign into the app again. 

Last night, I went into Wi-Fi settings and had it optimize the channels that were being used for both the 2.4G and 5G channels (although it's all in one, I don't have those separated). 3 minutes after it did that, I didn't have internet anymore. It wouldn't work on my phone or my laptop, and yet again, I ended up resetting everything (modem and main node), and the internet came right back.

I never noticed internet drops prior to installing this Velop system, so I want to say it's the Velop system that is at fault and I'm guessing I'll have to just return it. But, I also don't want to rule out that my ISP was just having problems, either. 

Is there a good way for me to know if my Velop system is not working correctly, or if it's my ISP? Or perhaps any monitoring tools out there that will monitor the Wifi signal over maybe an hour's time and let me know if the connection is staying stable?

I appreciate any help I could get on this, it's very frustrating! Thanks!

Expert

Re: Refurbished Velop System - Working or not?

JakeP wrote:

Hi all, 

I bought a refurbished Velop mesh system off the Linksys Ebay page about 3 weeks ago. Got it all set up, things working correctly, etc. This is going to be a noob question because I haven't had a lot of experience with these, but I am unsure if the system is failing or if it's my ISP. 

Two mornings in a row I woke up and had a notification on my phone at 5 AM that the Velop system was down and offline. I went into the office where the modem and main node are, and noticed the light was red. I unplugged both the modem and the main node and reset them both, and internet would come right back after doing that (and light would be blue). Like I said, this happened two mornings in a row already in the 3 weeks I've had it. 

Also, I've had the internet just randomly appear to go out on me at certain times... I check my Linksys app and it says my system is online, yet I can't get any webpage to load. Then, the linksys app says "Your internet is working, but our cloud system is not." and then I end up resetting everything again in order to have the ability to sign into the app again. 

Last night, I went into Wi-Fi settings and had it optimize the channels that were being used for both the 2.4G and 5G channels (although it's all in one, I don't have those separated). 3 minutes after it did that, I didn't have internet anymore. It wouldn't work on my phone or my laptop, and yet again, I ended up resetting everything (modem and main node), and the internet came right back.

I never noticed internet drops prior to installing this Velop system, so I want to say it's the Velop system that is at fault and I'm guessing I'll have to just return it. But, I also don't want to rule out that my ISP was just having problems, either. 

Is there a good way for me to know if my Velop system is not working correctly, or if it's my ISP? Or perhaps any monitoring tools out there that will monitor the Wifi signal over maybe an hour's time and let me know if the connection is staying stable?

I appreciate any help I could get on this, it's very frustrating! Thanks!

Hi Jake--

Could you share your network configuration? For example

modem -> Velop Master (router) -> Switch -> Velop Slaves

Also, what version of the firmware are you using and with how many velop nodes?

Z

Hi Z, 

My current network configuration is just

modem -> Velop Master Node (router) 

The modem and Master Node (router) are located in an upstairs office. Then I have a second node downstairs. 

So I only have 2 total nodes + the modem. Everything connects wirelessly right now. The firmware version they are running is 1.1.2.183316 

Thanks!

Expert

JakeP wrote:

Hi Z, 

My current network configuration is just

modem -> Velop Master Node (router) 

The modem and Master Node (router) are located in an upstairs office. Then I have a second node downstairs. 

So I only have 2 total nodes + the modem. Everything connects wirelessly right now. The firmware version they are running is 1.1.2.183316 

Thanks!

Hi Jake

A couple of ideas to think about.

1. I also purchased a reconditioned Velop. I am using it as a slave node.  The performance was less than desirable and it was dropping the connections often (blinking red light). I did a full factory reset on the device, recondlgured the device using the Linksys app and it started performing better.

2. What is the distance from you Velop master node to the upstairs office? Are there any big obstacles (like a refrigerator, etc) in the line of sight?

3. Did you configurethe Velop Slave node when it was in close proximity (3 feet) from the Mater Velop?

Z

Z,

1. I can try a full factory reset on the device, although I'm still not sure if it's the Velop system acting up, or perhaps my ISP. I don't know the best action to take in order to determine that. Also, I used the Linksys app to configure the device when I initially set it up.

2. The Main node is right next to my modem in the upstairs office. I had to just connect a short Ethernet cable from the modem to the main node, and therefore those two sit right next to each other.

3. The Slave node was downstairs and plugged in down there when I configured it and would not have been in close proximity to the main node. 

Jake 

Highlighted
Expert

JakeP wrote:

Z,

1. I can try a full factory reset on the device, although I'm still not sure if it's the Velop system acting up, or perhaps my ISP. I don't know the best action to take in order to determine that. Also, I used the Linksys app to configure the device when I initially set it up.

2. The Main node is right next to my modem in the upstairs office. I had to just connect a short Ethernet cable from the modem to the main node, and therefore those two sit right next to each other.

3. The Slave node was downstairs and plugged in down there when I configured it and would not have been in close proximity to the main node. 

Jake 

Hi Jake --

You need to configure the slave node close enought to the master node that they can communicate. Linksys seems to recommend next to one another.

Z