Regretting my Velop investment. Rapidly decaying performance in a normal size home with 4 nodes.

I have a two-story 2,300 sq/ft home that is served by 1 Gbps FiOS internet. Due to some FiOS restrictions the router is in the laundy room on the lower level. I have a Velop node plugged directly into the FiOS router in the laundry room (in bridge mode). Then I have another Velop Node about 35 ft away in the dining area on the same level. Then another velop node in the living room about 20 ft away (I need to plug some stuff into it there). Then I have another velop node upstairs in the master bedroom area where I have two high-end gaming PCs. The direct distance between these nodes can't be more than 100ft and the walls are not thick.

If I'm on the lower level I can regularly get speeds of 200-400 mbps. Once I go upstairs and use my phone or the gaming PCs the perfromance drops down to 10-20 Mbps (I confirmed they are connecting to 5 Ghz network). This is quite irritating as I watch movies and download large game files upstairs, and that's where Velop is making my WiFi the slowest. It seems to me that four Velop nodes in a 2,300 sq/ft house should blanket the entire thing in super-fast WiFi given my 1 Gbps FiOS connection. I feel totally let down by my significant investment into four Velop nodes. I would appreciate if anyone has ideas why I lose a factor of 10 in WiFi speed by simply going to the 2nd level. Again, this is not a big house and everything is compact. Walls are all drywall, no concrete. Appreciate any insights before I throw this Velop into the trash and switch to another brand.

Re: Regretting my Velop investment. Rapidly decaying performance in a normal size home with 4 nodes.

I have the same problem with gigabit fiber that I can get speeds of upper 800mbps and 900mbps with speed test directly connected.

My velop wifi gives me between 15 and 20mbps.

I can get 450mbps on some of my wired equipment.

This is simply not good enough for $500.00

I am going to start working on figuring out how to get my money back before I've had it for a year.

I will be looking for Linksys at CES this year to tell them how dissapointed I am. I bought Velop the second it was released based on seeing it at CES and the conversations I had last year.

Re: Regretting my Velop investment. Rapidly decaying performance in a normal size home with 4 nodes.

When you transition from downstairs to up stairs please turn off your device WiFi and turn it back on. In my experience, aside from my wired back haul issues, the mesh technology which moves you to a more faster device isn’t working as designed as quickly and every time. I too get that problem when in my house, we spend a lot of time in our living room where the primary node resides but just above our heads is the bonus room where my second node resides and some time we get connected to it and speeds are very slow.

Lator

I just can't figure out why/how I would be getting such subpar speeds. I know this is really Belkin and not Linksys as we know it, but even Belkin budget routers would five higher performance.

I wish I realized that Belkin bought Linksys...

The sad thing is that I don't really have any confidence that they/can will fix this. Do I throw out $500 and move on?

Lynchmob thank you for the suggestion. I did indeed try that several times and it doesn’t help. I still get about 5-15 mbps upstairs and 250-400 mbps downstairs. I just ordered a set of 2nd generation Eero devices and I’m going to see how that compares to Velop.

Mine is getting really bad too.  An update on the app put the auto upgrade firmware back on, so it installed the new one and its gone rapidly downhill.

Barely get above 50 Mbps on the parent node from a 200Mbps supply.

Have you tried downgrading to an older FW? Please try an older FW before throwing in the towel.

I would suspect FW. If you are on Ethernet backhaul you certainly need older FW. The FW I am running is listed in the link below: 1.1.1.179155. Be sure to turn off “auto update” before downgrading.

The FW is coming directly from the Linksys download site.

Go here to download the FW: Here

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/firmware/FW_WHW03_1.1.1.179155_prod.img <copy and paste this url in a web browser

Load the firmware on the secondary nodes first and then primary node.

To manually change firmware on the nodes you can use the below URL from your computer with the nodes IP Address. Also, make sure you use the local Velop admin password: (If you get an error clear your browser cache and try again)

http://192.168.1.x/fwupdate.html

Change the "x" to the last 3 of the IP address for your nodes. You can find that information in the app. The above referenced command will ask you to select the FW to install. Make sure you know where you downloaded the FW file to and select it. If using Google or FireFox, there's usually a "Dowload" folder within "My Computer."

I just replaced the Linksys Velop with a 2nd Generation Eero system and I could not be happier. Set-up is a breeze. I have the same number of nodes in the same exact locations and my upstairs computers are now getting 90 - 100 mbps internet speed test consistently. Just worked perfectly out of the box.

We're you able to return your Velop? I wonder what good the 2 year warranty is? I am really starting to lose my patience and my wife and kids are giving me a hard time. Has not been a good experience.

I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience with the Error. I have had nothing but problems with Velop, I would NOT recommend it to anyone I actually liked.

I've downgraded as per the instructions above and whilst it's more stable it's substantially slower than the newer FW. I lose 50% from parent to second node with older FW. Used to get a drop of 20% with newer FW, but drops out all the time

Im looking at other systems now, I can't put up with this anymore.