Re: Sonos Connection Issues?

I am having the sam problem here, with 3 node Velop and 8 sonos units.
The interesting part is with 6 sonos it works fine, when i add the 2 new play5's close to the first Velop node it works fine. After setting it up moving these 2 sonos play5's to the upper living room where they are close to the 2nd velop node, everything is gone! No more internet in the house no more sonos, and they are not even wired, i just plugin the electricity and everything is gone.

Hi, Jayjayaa. Try to power cycle the nodes and check if it'll make any difference. Are you running the latest firmware? We'd like to have our Escalation Engineers assist you for further diagnosis. Please shoot us an email at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with the following details:

Full Name:
Phone Number:
Location (city/state):
Community Username:
Link to this post:

Rosalyn - 21986
Linksys Technical Support
Highlighted

@wrote:
I am having the sam problem here, with 3 node Velop and 8 sonos units.
The interesting part is with 6 sonos it works fine, when i add the 2 new play5's close to the first Velop node it works fine. After setting it up moving these 2 sonos play5's to the upper living room where they are close to the 2nd velop node, everything is gone! No more internet in the house no more sonos, and they are not even wired, i just plugin the electricity and everything is gone.

Ditch the Velops or get a Sonos Boost.

I can not ditch the Velops because Linksys does not accept returns in Turkey!

@Jayjayaa,

We've endorsed your case to our Product Experts for further assistance. A representative will be in touch you within 24-48 business hours.

Jo-Ann - 21744
Linksys Technical Support

Has this problem been resolved, that is, what steps need to be taken to correct it?

My case has been resolved by the help of Linksys USA.

Depending on your connection cables it may not work for you.

I have an Airties 5760 modem.

My first Sonos is connected to the modem and all the other sonos are connected wirelessly to the first sonos.

My first Velop is again connected to the modem and all the other nodes are connected wirelessly to the first Velop.

Apparently both Sonos and Velop create their own network SEPARATELY, they can not be connected to each other with cables.

At my house my modem was on the middle floor and I had 1 cable going up to the upper level and one cable going down to the lower level. In such a setup, you can NOT just connect your Velop and Sonos to that cable on the upper or lower levels. 

Things to keep in mind:

1. If you want to use cables for further distances, the second Velop Node should be cabled to the first Velop Node, you can not just connect it to the modem. There can only be 1 Velop Node connected to the modem. 

2. The ethernet port at the bottom of the Velop is only for other Velops, not for any Sonos's, the minute you connect a Sonos cable, everything is gone. So think of the Sonos network and Velop network separately.

My DHCP is done by my modem and there are no problems. The Velops are in BRIDGE mode.

Hope it helps.

Hi - Thank you for the suggestion. i will give this a try. i do have some questions for you if you will please oblige me.

1. Does the Sonos app on your mobile device use the Velop wifi network?
    In other words, is the communications path for the Sonos App to the Sonos speakers as folllows?
    Sonos App on mobile device <--> Velop wifi <--> to the Airties 5760 modem <--> Sonos speaker <--> other Sonos speakers via Sonos network?
  2. I presume this is the proper sequence for powering everything on?
    1. Power everything down - modem, Velops, all Sonos devices
    2. Connect one Sonos device to modem.
      Velop is already connected via cable to my modem.
      I plan to connect a Boost to the modem which in my case is an ATT supplied Uverse modem
    3. Power up modem and wait for it to initialize.
    4. Power up Velop primary node and wait for it to initialize.
    5. Power up Velop secondary node and wait for it to initialize.
      I only have a two node Velop 
    6. Power up Boost and wait for it to initialize.
    7. Power up Sonos speaker closest to Boost and wait for it to initialize.
    8. Power up next closest Sonos speaker and wait for it to initialize.
    9. Repeat step 8 for all other Sonos speakers.

Thank you again for the reply and entertaining my questions.

Regards,

Michael

1. I will tell you exactly when I get home. I think the sonos app connects to both my modem and Velop whichever is closer. Both have the same SSID name. I will turn off the modem wireles to make sure it works thru the Velop.

2. I don't think there needs to be an order. I first gave each device a static IP according to their MAC addresses on the DHCP table of the modem, I have 45-50 devices. Once you do that, every device you connect gets their spcified ip. The Velop in bridge mode uses the DHCP table of the modem.

The main thing is:

First Velop node connects directly to the modem

First Sonos connects directly to the modem.

None of the Sonos units should be wired to any Velop, they can be wired to the modem, or any switches from the modem

If you want the velop nodes to be wired, the second velop should be wired to the first velop and NOT the modem orswitch.

I just turned off the wireless of the modem so the only wireless in the house is Velop and the sonos app is working.

So my laptop is wirelessly connected to the Velop and the sonos app works with all 8 sonos units

My phone as well