Re: Sonos Connection Issues?

I have the following:

Sonos - Connect, 2-play 1, 2-play 3, 4-play 5 gen2, sub, Boost.

Linksys - 5 Velops

I have frequent speaker dropouts, unable to connect errors mid song, zones disappearing, etc. I am a Sonos beta tester so am using the latest beta app. When I send my diagnostic to Sonos they are amazed at the amount of interferance in my environment.

It appears as though Velop is using mid-channels rather than the typical 1,6 and 11 and I cannot find a way to set the node channels manualy so the entire spectrum is taken. With my past system of Linksys router and Ubiquity unify APs I could manually set the channels of each AP then set Sonos channel to one that wouldn't interfere. It appears as though the Linksys app will not allow me to set node channels.

I am having the same issues as descibed by others, songs will play for a few seconds then skip to the next song or restart the original song. I primarily use Amazon Music streaming but also use Pandora and Spotify. Spotify will work occasionally but not always, Amazon has never worked.

My Setup:

Velop 2 node system

3 Play 5's

1 Playbar

1 Sub

1 Connect Amp

1 Boost

I just purchased a Sonos Boost thinking it would solve my connection issues after installing the Velop, but no joy. I have also done as others have and changed the channels on both the Sonos and Velop which fixes the issue for a while but then resurfaces. I also tried connecting/disconnecting Sonos from the the wireless network in Sonos admin but no change. I also disconnected all Sonos devices and tried each one of the them individually to isolate the issue but still had problems.

I am also having general connection issues, WAN dropping, devices disconnecting. The wireless coverage is great with the Velop but the new problems it has introduced are not worth it. I spent most of my weekend on this so I will be returning the Velop this week before I throw this thing out the window... or my family kills me.

HWA

Hey all
Any news on this? Sonos keeps skipping and rooms keep on disappearing.
I really hope for a definitive solution here.
Thanks
HWA
HWA

Just installed Velop today. Previously used FiOS router and exrtender. No dropout issues using the FiOS Equipment. Using Play 1 on 1st floor and 2nd floor. Main Velop node is in basement. Velop 2 and 3 are in same room as Sonos. Experiencing dropouts and music skips and same segment plays again. Listening to internet radio. Shouldn't happen with what these cost.

In the app under wi-fi settings / advanced wifi settings , run the channel finder and see what it says. I suspect it will say already running the best channels but curious what it says under 'technical details' when the process finishes I still suspect the node radios are interfering with each other
Administrator

Hi All,

We have been trying to replicate this one internally, but so far have not been that successful. If someone is willing to assist and provide some additional detail about their setup, and a few log files that would be great. Just reach out to me via private message. 

To replicate I just connected (wired) my Sonos Boost to the Velop primary node. Then added one Play 5 speaker wirelessly to the Sonos system. It appears to create a data storm that floods the router. In my research, there are known issues with some routers not supporting STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) which Sonos uses, and this causes the problem. Linksys has added support for this protocol in other routers to resolve this issue (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42/~/sonos-and-incompatible-hardware). Perhaps the Velop doesn't support STP?

Sadly, I had to return the Velop system and get Google Wifi which has worked flawlessly with Sonos.

Chris

I would happily help send logs, but I can't figure out how to PM you. I'm very disapointed as the issue can be consistently recreated here, and I'm now outside my return window (I assumed it would be a quick fix). I truly hope this is an urgent matter for your team.

If you can either get in touch with me for instructions, or let me know how to PM you, let's take the next steps.

Administrator

kevincanada wrote:

I would happily help send logs, but I can't figure out how to PM you. I'm very disapointed as the issue can be consistently recreated here, and I'm now outside my return window (I assumed it would be a quick fix). I truly hope this is an urgent matter for your team.

If you can either get in touch with me for instructions, or let me know how to PM you, let's take the next steps.

Hi Kevin,

To PM you will just need to go up to your profile here in the community and then go to My inbox. From there you will have the option to compose a new message. I have sent you one as well, that you can just reply to.

~Lucas