Re: Sonos Connection Issues?

Google is your friend: try "turn off wifi sonos" and it's the first page. It's not an authorized page so I do not want to post here. 

@JohnSz - Use a Boost.  After I purchaed the Velop system, I had to buy 2 Boosts for my Sonos after years of it operating just fine on my Apple Network.  The Velop just doesn't have good WiFi compatibility with the Sonos because, from what I've been able to gather, Linksys is not using one of the important Sonos standards to talk to the units and the Velops hop frequencies all the time and the Sonos can't keep up.  Other WiFi systems are much more compatible with Sonos.

The Boost resolved the connection issues with my Sonos but, of course, was just more money out of my pocket on behalf of the Velop.

Administrator

Actually before you go with the boost one of the things we recommend for SONOS users is to split the 2.4 Ghz network off from the 5 Ghz network to create 2 seperate networks. LinksysFan is correct that by default the 2.4 Ghz bands between the nodes jump quite often to find the cleanest channel. This is something we have been in contact with SONOS about and are working together to find resolutions that will work behind the scenes. However until then I would recommend the following.

To change the network you simply need to login to the WEB UI and click on the CA link on the bottom right of the screen.

ca-link.png

From there go to the wireless tab on the parent node and change the 2.4 Ghz network to a fixed channel instead of auto. Be careful not to change the 5Ghz channels though since that could break the mesh.

2_4.PNG

After you have completed this step on the parent just go to the UI and find the IP addresses of the child nodes that you have to login to those and repeat the steps to set static channels on each of those. Just make sure they are not the same channel or they will compete with eachother, my recommendation would be to use 1 on the primary 6 on the 2nd and 11 on the 3rd if you have a 3 node system.

The other alternative is also of course the boost which creates a seperate wifi network entirely for the SONOS system to work on. 

[ Edited ]

Lucas I logged into linksyssmartwifi.com and don't have the same screen as in the screenshot - am i in the wrong place? 

(there is no CA link at the bottom of the screen)

I get this issue too. Have:
3 ZP100s
3 Play 1s
1 Play 5
1 Playbar
1 Sub
The zones will skip tracks from Amazon Music, Google Play Music and from my music library - Spotify seems OK
I get random disconnects from some zones (but not all).
I've also had instances when the same zone appears twice in the controller.
Also have some alarms that simply don't trigger when expected.
I also get drop outs when playing radio via tune-in.

I've tried moving the velop nodes around to find the best coverage. I've also run the channel finder a couple of times.

Had perfect operation before the Velop which, ironically, I got to fix my patchy WiFi.

Running out of ideas now!

Have you tried the suggested workarounds in this thread, bongoroobarb? We'd also appreciate more feedback by sending us an email at LinksysCares@linksys.com.

Kloe-21503
Linksys Technical Support

Haven't tried splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi into separate SSID's - that's the next thing to try I guess.

Update - followed someone else's recommendation and returned my velop and got 3 google mesh nodes for significantly cheaper and am on day 3 of flawless sonos performance and actually got money back in my pocket as opposed to splitting the blended network that gives you fast velop speed in the first place, or spending another 3 figure amount on a sonos boost.

Shame on linksys for their obvious design flaw and handling of this widespread issue

✌🏻

"After you have completed this step on the parent just go to the UI and find the IP addresses of the child nodes that you have to login to those and repeat the steps to set static channels on each of those."

Lucas, so sorry but can you elaborate on the steps to change the child notes to static channels too? I can't seem to find the IP Addresses on the UI

According to Sonos, you do not need to purchase a Boost adapter  to setup Boost - you just need to dedicate any one of your Sonos products to being connected to Ethernet all of the time.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3463/~/how-to-set-up-sonos%3A-boost-setup

It happened that one of my Sonos speakers is very close to a Velop tower - which has an Ethernet port. So I ran a cable between the two, turned off all of the speakers, turned on the one cabled to the network and subsequently turned on the rest of them.

If I look at "About my Sonos System.." on the Sonos controller Help menu (using the PC version), it says that I do have a Boost setup, i.e., each of the speakers says "WM:0".

This setup did *not* solve the problem. For example, i had the "About my Sonos System.." dialog displayed while writing this and suddenly all of the speakers (6) disappeared from the dialog and from the "Rooms" list. They subsequently started randomly appearing and disappearing. After a couple of minutes, they are all came back but, of course, all stopped playing music and the speaker grouping was lost. Note that the node which is hard-wired to the network did *not* come back first - two other nodes came first.