Administrator

Sonos Connection Issues?

Kicking off a new thread based on feedback from some of the community members about SonoS having issues with playback and disconnection. We have seen some reports of this as well in technical support, however have yet to be able to replicate on our side.

If you have seen this issue if you could share some network info that would be great.

• What type of SonoS speaker are you using?
    • If more than 1 are they all having issues?
  • Are you using the SonoS bridge or going purely WiFi? 
    • If using the bridge is it connected to the parent node or one of the Children?
  • What types of services are having issue? Are you streaming spotify / pandora / internet radio etc? Or are the problems with local media playback?

Once we start to get some feedback we will build a replication scenario to see if we can isolate the issue to get it over to engineering. Or if you are experiencing the issue and would be willing to share a sysinfo from your Velop system with our support team that would be very helpful as well.

Re: Sonos Connection Issues?

Hi Lucas - details as follows;

Device: Sonos Play:1

Connectivity: Standard Wireless (no Boost setup)

When I initially setup the Velop I started getting intermittent song skips - it would play the first 30 seconds or so , and then abruptly skip onto the next track.  

Predominantly this problem occured with an Apple Music playlist - Spotify over the same speaker seemed to be more tolerant and hardly ever had an issue, so it might be something to do with the bandwidth demands of the higher quality Apple Music stream.

After reading this article;

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1230/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDg3NzI5MT...

I noticed that the Velop had automatically chosen channel 4 for the 2.4Ghz radio on the closest node, which in my environment is likely to overlap with neighbours wifi - and in fact even with one of the other Velop nodes in the house as they are in close proximity during the initial setup.

Via the web interface I fixed my 3 Velop nodes for channels 1, 6 and 11 on the 2.4Ghz, and I havent had any problems with the Sonos since.

My assumption is that because the Sonos is only a 802.11b/g client (doesnt support 'n') , it has a reduced bandwidth downlink from the access point - so any wireless interference (which might be less noticable on a faster link) has a critical impact to the streaming service.

Hope this helps. 

I have a play:1 in my bathroom

I have a play:1 in my guest room

I have a play:1 in my kitch en

I have a Playbar in my master bedroom

I have a SUB in my mater bedroom

I have a Connect in my media room

All devices are running Version 7.1 of Sonos ; build 341637101

All devices seem to abruptly end tracks partway through and move on to the next track in the quque.

The Connect in my media room is hardwired into a child node and loses it's connection all the time.  The connection is completely unstable.  With the connect, we aren't talking about just songs skipping.. but the entire device falling out of the sonos network in my home.

I listen mostly to Apple music where I have noticed the song skipping issues.

I'm using a velop 3 node system.  

I don't have problems with any other devices... only sonos. On average I have around 32 different devices connected to my velop network.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Got it thanks guys, will see if anyone else jumps in with their setups and we will begin putting it through some tests here.

• What type of SonoS speaker are you using?
    • If more than 1 are they all having issues?
  • Are you using the SonoS bridge or going purely WiFi? 
    • If using the bridge is it connected to the parent node or one of the Children?
  • What types of services are having issue? Are you streaming spotify / pandora / internet radio etc? Or are the problems with local media playback?

SONOS Bridge wired directly to parent node.  Three remote Sonos players.  Using Pandora Radio via the Sonos App.  After latest Sonos Update, having all sorts of issues getting my iphone connected to Sonos, maintianing connection, music stopping when I could get it going, etc.  I went into Sonos and changed the SonosNet channel from channel 1 to channel 11 and things cleared right up.  Apparently no problems.

Problem repeated. I again changed the Sonos channel from 11 to 6 and things worked perfectly.

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue with Apple Music disconnecting mid song, as well as an incredibly frustrating experience of losing connectivity FROM the iOS controller.

Standard setup (i.e. no boost, no ethernet)

Devices: 2 Sonos Play:1s (independent speakers)

I haven't tried Spotify, or what rburrows69 has suggested (will try that tonight!).

HWA

Hey guys,

Thanks for looking into the Sonos issue and sharing solutions.

Velop working well except for Sonos, until today. One hour ago, after reading below posts, I changed Sonos channel from 6 to 11. So far, since 1 hour seems to work fine.

The issues I had until today were:

• Unable to connect to Sonos
  • Unable to connect to Spotify , error 1001
  • Some Sonos players disappearing. I have a 4 storey house. Had difficulty connecting to Sonos players on other floors than the one where I was on and in sometimes none or just 1 or 2 Sonos showing on app
  • Songs skipping, both with Spotify and Tunein. With Tunein it was more frequent as I guess there is no buffering as with Spotify (?)
  • Remote app very slow. Grouping impossible or only after a few attempts. Then after a few minutes one or more losing connection hence no longer in the group.

Below the answers to the questions:

What type of SonoS speaker are you using?

• Living: Playbar, Sub, 2 x S1, 2xS1 
  • Dining 2xS1
  • Bedroom S5new
  • Office S5new

If more than 1 are they all having issues? 

All had issues, albeit S1's in dining seemed most stable.

Are you using the SonoS bridge or going purely WiFi? 

• Pure wifi

If using the bridge is it connected to the parent node or one of the Children?

• NA

What types of services are having issue? Are you streaming spotify / pandora / internet radio etc? Or are the problems with local media playback?

• Spotify and Tunein

Again, after changing to channel 11 on Sonos above issue were solved instantly. If for some reason this changes I will report back.

Thanks again and good luck for those who are still suffering suboptimal Sonos experience.

Regards,

HWA

HWA

Hey all

As it now seems I was to quick to say it works. This morning songs skipped and went silent for 10 - 30 seconds. Also not all Sonos devices appeared in my (Sonos) list.

I then used the channel finder and it worked almost perfect again. Until this afternoon when I started using facetime video and songs started skipping like crazy.

I just checked in the device list and it seems that both the Sonos in the bedroom and my iphone use the node 2 floors down, while there is one in 4 meters away...

Thoughts please?

Thanks!

HWA

Changing the channel on the Sonos device seems to solve the problem for me for a while - then it starts again.  The last time I used the Sonos system I had to do a few channle changes.  5 minutes later the system stopped playing music and there was nothing I could do to resestablish connection.  A day later I tried and it seemed to work fine.

It would be really nice to get a solution here.  The #1 reason I bough this system was to improve my iPhone Wifi capability in my basement soe I could use my Sonos system better.  Arrrgghhh!  :-)

- LIONDOG