Swapping out new nodes for old nodes

Not sure if anyone can help me with this. I purchased a 2 node system and now think I want to switch to a 3 node system. What I don't want to do is have to setup all of my connected devices again (I have over 30 and some of them a real pain so don't really feel like going through that whole process again as I just did it yesterday).

To make my question easier currently I have 2 black nodes (one connected to modem/router upstairs and the other wireless downstairs). I would purchase 3 white nodes. Could I add one of the white nodes to current system as a 3rd node and then once it is setup just go ahead and disconnect the main upstairs black node that is connected to my mode/router and replace it with this new white node.

Assuming the above worked then I would just add the other 2 white nodes and disconnect the last black node and then return the set of 2 black nodes.

Would that work - or would I still have issues?

Re: Swapping out new nodes for old nodes

After doing some reading I think I will stick with the 2 pack for now (unless someone convinces me otherwise). I have a 2700 SF house and was thinking 3 would be better than 2 but have just read that when you add a 3rd it can actually drop the overall speeds, and sounds like with my size house I probably should not need a 3rd.

This was what I read about adding the 3rd - http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/linksys-velop-performance-and-verdict-page-2

Hi,

Just in case you will be needing to add a 3rd node in the future, there is also a Linksys Velop pack of 1 (Model number WHW0301)

I went up to 5 units and saw no decrease in speed or increase in latency.

I am at 70 down 8 up everywhere in house.

Did you check the speeds when you were at 2 nodes or did you possibly start with 3?

Also, what do you pay for? I pay for 150/150 and at best get 90/90 and in some spots in my house that might drop down to 50/50. Not sure if this is normal. I hear the Netgear Orbi is quite a bit faster but right now everything is working with Velop so not sure I really want to mess around with anything (I have about 30 connected items including Sonos Speakers, Wemo Wall Plugs, Google Minis, XBox, Cell Phones, Laptops, Eetc)

I pay for 60/5. So I am actually better.

I tested them as I put them in. I was actually better off with more than less. I think maybe if you are dealing with ultra high speeds you may degrade but I wouldn’t know that.

They are easy to add through the app. Just click on add another node and try and see. I will say once you have them all added run the channel optimizer before final testing.

My issue is I purchased the 2 pack Black and to go to a 3rd I either need to return everything (and get the 3 pack white), or I could purchase a single black node but then I pay an extra $40 compared to returning and purchasing the 3 pack. Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is worth a shot adding a 3rd just to see what happens with my speed.

You just add one of the new ones to see it is worth it. If it is then redo the network.

Actually just noticed the price went up over $70 since I purchased so at this point it would be cheaper to just purchase a single from Amazon. I can only find the White Nodes, can't find any Black...

Do you know if I move an existing node to a new location - do I have to do anything special (maybe run the Channel Finder)...?