Re: This is the single worst network product I have ever purchased

I wouldn’t call it the best mesh system,

it got some issues which are annoying and for the premium price the system should be bit better made

- I have 3 nodes in 124sq m which is around 1350 sq ft so more than enough to cover entire house, so the range is fairly good for me but I have a feeling that a little bit bigger house and those 3 nodes might not be enough and far behind from the advertised. My house is 1930 and walls inside are brick so this could be the reason - anyway I have no issue with the range at this stage this is just to describe the setup, I have 2 nodes downstairs, one in the back left corner of the house and the second in the front right corner of the house, 3rd on the first floor in the middle so they make a triangle and cover entire house, nodes are connected via WIFI as I have no Ethernet cable run around the house if I would I would have different system, so the whole point of the mesh system for me is to cover whole house without cat5/6.

- the speeds are inconsistent sometimes I get 80-90, sometimes I get 140-145 which is close to my full speed of the broadband, nothing else running on the network, when I run the speed from the velop speed test to check the connection to internet than this looks fairly stable 140, so it’s the WiFI connection between the velops AP’s, could be different story with them connected via Ethernet but that the whole point…

- when I was set up with single SSID most of the devices were connecting via 2.4 rather than 5 even though I knew they are 5 capable (latest iphones and laptops) the only way to make them connect via 5 is to split the SSID to 2 separate ones 2.4 and 5, it wouldn’t be an issue if I haven’t spent all day trying to split it with errors on the website crashing even though it supposed to be a single click to achieve it, even when I called the helpdesk the first like support couldn’t help and I decided to end the call as it was getting frustrating, eventually I managed to split it so I have 2.5 and 5 as separate SSID, now devices are connecting to 5 and the speeds are better, the issue I see is that the TV instead connecting to the closest node (right front of the house) it connects to the furthest away (left back house) and the signal was too week to steam in 4k, there is nothing I can do to make the TV to connect to the one which is next to it 1m away, probably it wouldn’t even connect if I put the AP inside the TV Smiley Happy , so I got feed up with the TV trying to connect via 5g and connected it via 2.4 and now strangely enough it connect to the closest one, the same with my onkyo Hi-Fi system ...

- lags in the game when connected to the top node on the 1st floor via WiFI even though my PC is next to the AP, if I connect the PC via Ethernet to the same AP the connection is much better

For the normal none technical users is good for more advanced users maybe not so good and I wouldn’t call it the best mesh system

Expert

edrock200 wrote:
That doesn't make it "one size fits all" though in terms of issues. Also, no offense but being a network engineer offers little to no advantage with velop. Short of causing a physical cabling loop, it's pretty hard to set this thing up the wrong way, but it still has plenty of issues. My setup is wired backhaul in bridged mode, but velop refuses to relay DHCP requests properly to/from my router. Once I setup another DHCP server on my desktop, it worked fine, but I shouldn't have to do that.

My point being, although I don't agree with "Watercooled's" overall opinion of velop, saying it's user error or "must be you because mine works great" seems childish at best. Anyone who knows anything about networking knows there are litterally millions of combinations of routers, wiring, etc for velop to attach to. But the velop has a pretty straightforward setup with limited options, so saying it's user error is basically saying it's unplugged or Ethernet cable is detached, because that's really the only physical thing you could possibly do incorrectly with it.
Hi Ed--

If you think the setup of the velop is straightforward suggest you read more of the comments in this forum. There seem to be an unlimited way to get Velop to underperform.

Z

I think you and I are in violent agreement. My point was velop has a lot of bugs, and blaming it on "user error" seems disingenuous at best given its designed and locked down for minimal user config.

May I ask how you determine which node a device is connecting to? I have been wondering if some of the issues I have been having with speed is because the devices are latching onto a node further away

Diuring set up I have named the nodes eg room1 room 2 etc and now when I go within app or via web portal and I click on connected devices I see where they are connected and how eg 2.4 or 5Ghz

Watercooled wrote:
This system is completely terrible it randomly loses connection Linksys refuses to give us any control over the detailed configuration and I’m at the mercy of them sending updates to this thing which wipes my config and takes my entire Internet down I hate this system more than death itself.

Today I finally lost my cool after six months of fighting this terrible product I took all three units and smash them into little pieces to avoid ever having to deal with them again while it was painful to throw away the $400 or whatever it was I spent on this garbage it’s closure knowing that I will never have to deal with Linksys again as long as I ever live.

There is no doubt in my mind while why Cisco threw Linksys out like the trash they are...This company is a cancer in every product they make will make anyone look bad I will never allow a single link this device in my home as long as I live in if I ever see one I will smash in the little pieces that’s how much my hatred gross but this company.

I’m writing this as I head out the door to go find the Google mesh solution hoping that it’s slightly better than this garbage even slightly better than this will be leaps and bounds better than what I’ve dealt with for the past six months

it’s sad that it’s 2018 almost and we still have horrible consumer grade wireless options. Linksys in the shell of its former self and the fact that support no longer has a dedicated Velop up team tells me this product is a bust.

its user error trust me this is the best wifi out there. i have Orbi, google mesh, etc they all are lacking.

It works great because you live on a 4ft x 3ft trailer and you used your geeksquad discount to get a good deal on it. Please go away.

Total agreement with OP. The Velop was rushed to market and is the worst networking product Linksys has released to date. It speaks volumes that the support staff is different for the Velop than their other networking products.

I've had to factory reset and configure from scratch my Velop system every time there is a firmware update (3 times in 4 months). Considering I have NEVER had to do this once with any other router I've owned and seeing the numerous negative/similar posts here, it is pretty obvious the Velop has some serious issues.

I am not a "network expert" but have been an IT professional for 25 years. In my experience, the Velop has been the worst networking product I have ever used. And no, I don't work for Geek Squad. Smiley Wink

Expert

Scalptrash wrote:

Total agreement with OP. The Velop was rushed to market and is the worst networking product Linksys has released to date. It speaks volumes that the support staff is different for the Velop than their other networking products.

I've had to factory reset and configure from scratch my Velop system every time there is a firmware update (3 times in 4 months). Considering I have NEVER had to do this once with any other router I've owned and seeing the numerous negative/similar posts here, it is pretty obvious the Velop has some serious issues.

I am not a "network expert" but have been an IT professional for 25 years. In my experience, the Velop has been the worst networking product I have ever used. And no, I don't work for Geek Squad. Smiley Wink

Hi--

Can you describe your Velop typology?

Z

Ha ha, great post, fortunately because I bought mine from amazon I returned all 4 of them for a £500 refund