Re: Velop Firmware 1.1.2.185309 Launched

Fbm111,

I can't recall which post I read today Fbm, but Linksys said that the latest FW update is for the current security concerns and there's an aggressive push to fix the ethernet backhaul issue in future FW releases.  I will not try this update until Linksys says they have fixed the ethernet backhaul problem; and then I still wont trust it until I try it for myself.

Administrator

Lynchmob wrote:

Fbm111,

I can't recall which post I read today Fbm, but Linksys said that the latest FW update is for the current security concerns and there's an aggressive push to fix the ethernet backhaul issue in future FW releases.  I will not try this update until Linksys says they have fixed the ethernet backhaul problem; and then I still wont trust it until I try it for myself.

Hi All,

This update is only KRACK and security fixes it is based on the same code most of you are running today with those implemented. For you guys that are waiting in the ethernet Backhaul perfectly fine to sit this one out if KRACK isn't a huge concern from your side. Totally understand the hesitancy considering the the pre - Thanksgiving update but that had such a big impact on wired BH.

This release has no issues with wired  backhaul. I had the older version last year that casued issue and this one is working fine now.As I said earlier I am running 8 nodes of which 4 are hard wired.

Cheers

Jeff

Expert

[ Edited ]

Hi--

I upgraded yesterday from 1.1.2.183316 to 1.1.2.185309. For me 1.1.2.183316 was a stable firmware release. However it had several shortcomings.

These days Velop firmware versions seem configuration specific. My configuration is as follows:

modem -> Velop Master -> EA9500 router (bridge mode) ->Cisco SGE2000 switch -> Velop Slaves (6) -> 25 wireless devices.

My entire Velop configuration is wired with Cat 6 ethernet.

POSITIVES:

The performance of this new release is no better or worse than the previous (1.1.2.183316).

This release seems to be stable (no outages) like the previous release.

For me the nodes hand off correctly from one node to the next closest node (strongest signal).

NEGATIVES:

1. The wireless performance of the nodes is slightly slower than the previous release. For a hardwired ISP speed (off the modem) of 120mb/sec (download) I'm getting about 16Mb/sec to the wireless nodes.

2. Unlike the previous release I'm getting many more occurrances of the blinking red light. Normally this means that the Velop node cannot communicate with the master node, but not in this case. Connectivity is the same whether there is a sold blue light or a blinking red light.

3.  No progress has been made to the entire Velop system:

a. The list of connected/disconnected devices on the app continues to be inaccurate.

b. No attempt has been made to permit node configurations to be saved and restored (this is an issue of you need to enter 60-100 devices into the port forwarding tables).

c. The speed of the wireless nodes is no better (i.e., slow). I have about 25 wireless nodes so the speed is marginal.

d. Static IP addresses can not be set for any nodes, making the IP management difficult.

e. The range of the wiress nodes seems to be about the same as the previous.

Again, this is an assessment based on the last 24 hours of use and based on my configuration. You experience many be different.

I'm posting this since the previous reviews seem to focus on overall perceptions not specifics.

I hope Linksys can continue to make progress on fixing the above concerns.

Z

[ Edited ]

And you sir/ma'am are one of the lucky ones.  I for one do not have good connectivity wired with this release.  Maybe its in the way you have you environment configured vs. mine.  I'm surprised to say the least you are aren't having issues; good for you.

There are many who are, so please allow me to take your word yet validate.  I suggest eveyrone else do the same.  It is not hard to manually upgrade/downgrade these devices.  It does take time, but if you don't mind go for it.

I have a fully wireless 3 node setup with 30 connected devices and I've been running this release since it showed up under the firware download section a few days ago.  I have not experienced any issues.  Thanks for the updates!

I just upgraded a 3 node system. I have 40 +/- devices connected. All 3 nodes upgraded without issue and so far I have not observed any problems. All devices reconnected and speeds appear to be as good as the previous version. Time will tell if this holds but looks promising.
Expert

Hi--

Another Opinion..

I upgraded yesterday from 1.1.2.183316 to 1.1.2.185309. For me 1.1.2.183316 was a stable firmware release. However it had several shortcomings.

These days Velop firmware versions seem configuration specific. My configuration is as follows:

modem -> Velop Master -> EA9500 router (bridge mode) ->Cisco SGE2000 switch -> Velop Slaves (6) -> 25 wireless devices.

My entire Velop configuration is wired with Cat 6 ethernet.

POSITIVES:

The performance of this new release is no better or worse than the previous (1.1.2.183316).

This release seems to be stable (no outages) like the previous release.

For me the nodes hand off correctly from one node to the next closest node (strongest signal).

NEGATIVES:

1. The wireless performance of the nodes is slightly slower than the previous release. For a hardwired ISP speed (off the modem) of 120mb/sec (download) I'm getting about 16Mb/sec to the wireless nodes.

2. Unlike the previous release I'm getting many more occurrances of the blinking red light. Normally this means that the Velop node cannot communicate with the master node, but not in this case. Connectivity is the same whether there is a sold blue light or a blinking red light.

3.  No progress has been made to the entire Velop system:

a. The list of connected/disconnected devices on the app continues to be inaccurate.

b. No attempt has been made to permit node configurations to be saved and restored (this is an issue of you need to enter 60-100 devices into the port forwarding tables).

c. The speed of the wireless nodes is no better (i.e., slow). I have about 25 wireless nodes so the speed is marginal. The speed of this release is 16Mb/sec (vice 30Mb/sec for 1.1.2.183316)

d. Static IP addresses can not be set for any nodes, making the IP management difficult.

e. The range of the wiress nodes seems to be about the same as the previous.

Again, this is an assessment based on the last 24 hours of use and based my configuration. You experience many be different.

I'm posting this since the previous reviews seem to focus on overall perceptions not specifics.

I hope Linksys can continue to make progress on fixing the above concerns.

Z

I should have added more about my configuration, sorry.  I am running a 3 node system with NO wired backhaul (all WiFi) with Velops in bridged mode.  I get DHCP leases from my firewall, not Velop so IP addressing for me is a non issue.  Over the past 24 hours I have not observed any red lights on the nodes or master since the reboot and no WiFi dropouts from devices.  My Internet connection is 250mb/sec and on the farthest node I am getting 100mb/sec and 200mb/sec+ on the intermediate node.  This is in line with what I was getting on the 183316, no better, no worse.  It seems your mileage may vary depending on configuration.

Expert

tnelms wrote:

I should have added more about my configuration, sorry.  I am running a 3 node system with NO wired backhaul (all WiFi) with Velops in bridged mode.  I get DHCP leases from my firewall, not Velop so IP addressing for me is a non issue.  Over the past 24 hours I have not observed any red lights on the nodes or master since the reboot and no WiFi dropouts from devices.  My Internet connection is 250mb/sec and on the farthest node I am getting 100mb/sec and 200mb/sec+ on the intermediate node.  This is in line with what I was getting on the 183316, no better, no worse.  It seems your mileage may vary depending on configuration.

Hi tnelms-

I have a somewhat diffeerent configuration.

modem -> Velop Master -> EA9500 Router (bridge mode) -> Switch -> Velop Slaves (Wired) (6)

Although Firmware 1.1.2.185309 is stable for a wired configuration, the bandwidth for the slave nodes in this release went from 16Mb/sec to 8 Mb/sec. Quite a difference for a 100 Mb/sec at the Velop Master. Streaming video is very marginal at 8 Mb/sec.

Z